LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Pretty much finished installing everything in engine bay.  Just need some fluids and an accessory belt cover.  Might make one if I cant find one.

I'll need to bleed the brakes, so I figured I would make a power brake bleeder with junk I had lying around garage. Air compressor set to low pressure with an inline filter and the cap of my old reservoir with some fittings/washers/o-rings.

PXL_20230515_020342328.jpg

PXL_20230515_020805406.jpg

• Like 6

08+ STI Black Calipers do not fit the rear 2005-6 LGT with KNS brackets

So I had an interesting day at the shop Getting my 08+ STI brakes installed. First It's a shame my Enkie 17x8s will not fit and I have to sell them (I never liked them, and they have 600 miles on the setup) do not fit so I have to put on my nice Gold wheels which I love!

So for those who want to do it right, the fronts will bolt up, but the rear 08+ with KNS brake brackets or other brackets on the market we tried do not fit. the reason why is because it needs to be the calipers that are gold from a GR chassis car not a GD for the 05-06 LGT.

So I have my fronts on the car, and they are working so damn well, but the shop called another shop, and they have a massive CNC machine and are going to custom make the brackets so I can fit the black STI calipers to the car with ease. The reason for this is because the holes do not line up. You can cut corners and do the ghetto way, but these are brakes for your car not a 10 speed bike.

I did call and talk to KNS brakes while I was at the shop, and they told me I bought the wrong calipers and we all laughed and said you did not do good R&D because these do not make it so you can fit 08+ calipers to the rear of a legacy. Also this shop does these conversion all the time and mentioned there is no such thing as the wrong calipers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pksystems said:

Pretty much finished installing everything in engine bay.  Just need some fluids and an accessory belt cover.  Might make one if I cant find one.

I'll need to bleed the brakes, so I figured I would make a power brake bleeder with junk I had lying around garage. Air compressor set to low pressure with an inline filter and the cap of my old reservoir with some fittings/washers/o-rings.

PXL_20230515_020342328.jpg

PXL_20230515_020805406.jpg

I was thinking about doing this for the clutch MC… If this method works well for brakes, please do report back.

How much pressure are you feeding in? I would think you’d only need a couple pounds…

Finished removing the filter from the drivers side OCV oil feed on the block. Did this using the Hammrdown method which does not involve removing all the timing. (Did the full timing system at the end of last summer, and did not want to pull all of that apart again….)

I don’t wish that particular job on anyone who does not have pretty small hands and somewhere to destress where nobody can hear you. Hah!

There was a filter in there, which was the last one in the car, all the others being fairly easy and removed right after I bought the car. On the plus side it was very clean, but I was worried about it being dirty from potential PO abuse. If it ever has to come out again, at least the bolt head is shaved down and I’ve got a 17mm wrench that has  a severe haircut to fit the space.

Happy it’s a job you really only need to do once. 🤟

• Like 4

On 5/15/2023 at 9:57 AM, NORULZleggy said:

08+ STI Black Calipers do not fit the rear 2005-6 LGT with KNS brackets

So I had an interesting day at the shop Getting my 08+ STI brakes installed. First It's a shame my Enkie 17x8s will not fit and I have to sell them (I never liked them, and they have 600 miles on the setup) do not fit so I have to put on my nice Gold wheels which I love!

So for those who want to do it right, the fronts will bolt up, but the rear 08+ with KNS brake brackets or other brackets on the market we tried do not fit. the reason why is because it needs to be the calipers that are gold from a GR chassis car not a GD for the 05-06 LGT.

So I have my fronts on the car, and they are working so damn well, but the shop called another shop, and they have a massive CNC machine and are going to custom make the brackets so I can fit the black STI calipers to the car with ease. The reason for this is because the holes do not line up. You can cut corners and do the ghetto way, but these are brakes for your car not a 10 speed bike.

I did call and talk to KNS brakes while I was at the shop, and they told me I bought the wrong calipers and we all laughed and said you did not do good R&D because these do not make it so you can fit 08+ calipers to the rear of a legacy. Also this shop does these conversion all the time and mentioned there is no such thing as the wrong calipers.

Can you put the KNS beside the one the shop makes to see how off the +08 calipers are as well as measurements please and thank you.  I don't personally need them but this might help the community when someone buys the +08 calipers. 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

No today but on Saturday. The morning looked like this:

image.thumb.png.912a12337c3e1fb2d7bcbfe02d60fbdf.png

and then like this:

image.thumb.png.6d68a0bebc26406c6e9b4281fbea1990.png

Got eh front SS brake lines installed fairly quickly and painlessly:

image.thumb.png.a617dde83e24f6f1c1975b1df9931810.png

Then went to shocks. Got the two bolts out and they were in no shape to be put back in with the new shocks.It's been only 13 years since I put them back in, Subaru quality is not good (/sarcasm).

While trying to put the left assembly back on temporarily with old bolts, pulled the CV axle out of the inner joint, and it would not go back no matter what we did. it is Mike HAMMERDOWN's old CV axle and it was already a reman from NAPA at that. Was loose when I got Mike's car and I only put it in "for now" while I was going to reboot my original CV axle. I think that should have been 5-6 years ago.

Ordered new strut bolts for front and rear, new boots (inner/outer) for my CV axle. Rocking Tribeca and my son's 2012 Crosstrek in the meantime.

• Like 11

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

5 year old Hayden 676 tranny cooler is leaking at the barb fittings. Does not appear to be a clamp issue. Not bad for a $35 part. Identical replacement is going in this weekend alongside an oil change.

Planning to put Berryman B-12 Chemtool in the tank and run it close to E before I change the oil Sunday. Is this still a good idea to give the fuel system a bit of a clean? I recall JMP speaking highly of it. I'm running ID1050Xs FWIW.

Edited by amm203

1 hour ago, amm203 said:

5 year old Hayden 676 tranny cooler is leaking at the barb fittings. Does not appear to be a clamp issue. Not bad for a $35 part. Identical replacement is going in this weekend alongside an oil change.

Planning to put Berryman B-12 Chemtool in the tank and run it close to E before I change the oil Sunday. Is this still a good idea to give the fuel system a bit of a clean? I recall JMP speaking highly of it. I'm running ID1050Xs FWIW.

Yeah, it’s still good stuff. Ran some through the OBW when gas prices here were over $2/L.

Didn’t see a big change, but I definitely got a few more kilometers on a tank after that. It’s just a good fuel system maintenance product.

• Like 1

Bled the brakes with my homemade pressure bleeder.  The factory cap/seal wants to leak unless you fiddle/turn it to the exact spot. 10 psi is what I used. Pedal seems firm.  

Started filling all the remaining fluids.

Edited by pksystems

24 minutes ago, pksystems said:

Bleed the brakes with my homemade pressure bleeder.  The factory cap/seal wants to leak unless you fiddle/turn it to the exact spot. 10 psi is what I used. Pedal seems firm.  

Started filling all the remaining fluids.

If you have something like the Motive bleeder the Subaru specific adapter is not too expensive. The OEM caps are not meant to hold a downward seal across the whole surface, at least not for this kind of application. It works sometimes, maybe, except when you really need it to work... 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 3:16 PM, SubOperator said:

No today but on Saturday. The morning looked like this:

and then like this:

Got eh front SS brake lines installed fairly quickly and painlessly:

Then went to shocks. Got the two bolts out and they were in no shape to be put back in with the new shocks.It's been only 13 years since I put them back in, Subaru quality is not good (/sarcasm).

While trying to put the left assembly back on temporarily with old bolts, pulled the CV axle out of the inner joint, and it would not go back no matter what we did. it is Mike HAMMERDOWN's old CV axle and it was already a reman from NAPA at that. Was loose when I got Mike's car and I only put it in "for now" while I was going to reboot my original CV axle. I think that should have been 5-6 years ago.

Ordered new strut bolts for front and rear, new boots (inner/outer) for my CV axle. Rocking Tribeca and my son's 2012 Crosstrek in the meantime.

Man, thought I was going crazy cuz your car looks basically identical to mine! How ya liking the Bilsteins? My Konis have had some issues and I'm not sure I wanna replace the one that's squeaking after already having replaced another one under warranty 

Prepped and painted an old set of front strut bodies for Koni strut install. I’m going back to struts and springs.

Where does one find JDM pink springs these days, specifically the wagon 5mt version people seem to prefer?

2 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Prepped and painted an old set of front strut bodies for Koni strut install. I’m going back to struts and springs.

Where does one find JDM pink springs these days, specifically the wagon 5mt version people seem to prefer?

I got mine from Nengun Performance. They still sell them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Picked up Transmission & rear diff oil for my only outstanding fluid change.  I had also purchased a roof rack for the PA meetup so I could free up some space in the trunk.  It showed up today and I wasted no time getting it installed this afternoon.  Just need to pick up a few tie-down straps and I will be ready for the drive down.

spacer.png

• Like 3

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

11 hours ago, Pleides said:

Man, thought I was going crazy cuz your car looks basically identical to mine! How ya liking the Bilsteins? My Konis have had some issues and I'm not sure I wanna replace the one that's squeaking after already having replaced another one under warranty 

I like them and this is the reason I am replacing them with Bilsteins as well. No noise from them at all, they just wore out and do not perform as they used too. Hard to blame them at 13 years old and ~170K all year long driving.

Here is current progress, I finally learned to apply anti-seize when putting things back together:

image.thumb.png.af4579363c5139cfc759f44209b5e277.png

One modification I made to install this time around, something I noticed when I was replacing shocks years ago on wife's Tribeca. Installed OEM lower spring rubber seat, Subaru part # 20325AA001, Tribeca has them but my Leggy did not. Hoping this reduces the road noise a bit more, not that it was a problem but since I am there anyway, why not? Also noticed that Toyota used them on 2005 Sienna we had.

Here it is:

image.thumb.png.0daaae909e9b863c11817b4f19ef9a75.png

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

RalliSpec also has them on their website, $120 a spring, different versions. There is a full spec table somewhere on this forum with all part ## for various versions of Pinks for AT, EZ30, MT, wagon etc.

^ Uncle Mat’s suspension breakdown sticky was my bible when deciding on which variety of pinks was applicable to my wagon. Got mine years ago from Nengun in Japan, when bachelor life presented no obstacle to shipping fees. Oh, how times have changed. In world and life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kojak said:

^ Uncle Mat’s suspension breakdown sticky was my bible when deciding on which variety of pinks was applicable to my wagon. Got mine years ago from Nengun in Japan, when bachelor life presented no obstacle to shipping fees. Oh, how times have changed. In world and life. 

Yes I used UM's info too, good stuff. I am on the other side of the bell curve, this whole project with SS brake lines and Bilsteins was driven and done largely by my middle son. I was mostly there from time to time to hand him a tool or give priceless Dad's advice(s).

• Like 1

Have ss lines on deck, but it’ll be a min before my son can help w anything beyond a Hot Wheels Subie. On topic, topped off tank and put Berryman’s on the shopping list. Figure a two-tank regimen wouldn’t hurt my mpg. 

Picked up these free bilstiens and top hats with tein springs, I believe h techs. These shocks are really crusty, are they worth saving or pretty much garbage? I only have them as a solution to use when I need my KWs need rebuilding in 4-5 years. 

16845973342803483054478621773575.jpg

Bilstein used to offer rebuilding service for their shocks. I have no idea how much it costs but should be less than price for a new one. If these will only be temps for you for KW rebuild time, my thinking is they will be fine as is...

Productive weekend - replacement tranny cooler is in, MAF sensor cleaned, AEM Dryflow filter cleaned & oil changed. She gets inspected tomorrow.

I noticed the Whiteline Com C top-hat rubber is starting to crack again. I have a feeling WL will not send a new pair for free a 2nd time around so I'm debating just going back to OEM style top-hats. Are there any other options besides OEM or KYB? Group N appears to only fit older WRXs & Foresters. I don't need solid top-hats but would like something a little "sportier"

Edit/Update to my question: Found top hats by a company called Pedders (Model #585113). They appear similar to the Com C hats in that they're offset.  Some cursory research on other forums indicates they have a different bearing mounting geometry to avoid the binding/popping issue of the WLs as well as a less harsh ride. Might try them out

Edited by amm203
  • Like 2

Started it up for the first time in a year.  No fuel leaks with my new teflon lines.  No oil leaks. 

Coolant leak to track down, but I think it just needs a better clamp on new silicone upper reservoir hose.

Engine is running very rough tho.  Wideband that I free-air calibrated a couple months ago is reading just under 20 at idle.  I think I must have a massive air leak in one of the couplers or a bad sensor/injector.

The guy I bought it off of, bought this car from the PO and said they had a misfire issue they couldn't track down.

I replaced all the coil packs/spark plugs and leaking PCV hoses (with catch can setup) but I did reuse the injectors.  I have another set of injectors I can swap in if I find a bad one.

The only CEL's I got were for the TGV deletes, but I've since disabled those codes with ecuflash.

Also installed my modded grill.  Man my bodywork on that is horrid.  Scratches everywhere I'll need to fill/sand/repaint later.

Received my knockoff Perrin accessory belt cover.  I'll have to make some WRX style tabs to properly mount it.

348354809_717255480199530_8312271294783316272_n.jpg

Edited by pksystems
  • Like 2