LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

On 4/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

How do you long term fuel trims look like? All within +/-5%?

Update on the Legacy, Looks like she had an attitude that morning, on the way home she ran like the classy lady she is, and even torn up some loud GTI with pops and bangs. Car is great now!  

47 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Update on the Legacy, Looks like she had an attitude that morning, on the way home she ran like the classy lady she is, and even torn up some loud GTI with pops and bangs. Car is great now!  

Maybe bad fuel in the tank from where ever you filled up last

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

1 minute ago, tysparks81 said:

Maybe bad fuel in the tank from where ever you filled up last

Yeah I went to a place by my house I never go to and got 93. I will never go back. I have been going to the same place for years with no problems. I will go there.

2 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

I have been using the DW300C without any issues so far.  Not sure if you have yours hardwired, but that might shorten the life of the pump.

Standard wiring at the moment.

I have the heavier duty wiring pump controller that I haven't installed yet, but I think I will with my replacement pump.

Leaning toward the DW 300c as I'm kind tired of replacing AEM at the moment.

• Like 1

I picked up a used AVO high flow pump/housing a couple weeks ago.  It has 40k miles, but I'm assuming that's probably better than my old OE unit.  Was planning to install it soon actually.

Anyone want to chime in whether I can install an aftermarket fuel pump without tuning?  I've read it should be no problem bc the pump will still send the correct fuel based on the pressure regulator.

Also, anything else I should grab while I'm in there?

17 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I picked up a used AVO high flow pump/housing a couple weeks ago.  It has 40k miles, but I'm assuming that's probably better than my old OE unit.  Was planning to install it soon actually.

Anyone want to chime in whether I can install an aftermarket fuel pump without tuning?  I've read it should be no problem bc the pump will still send the correct fuel based on the pressure regulator.

Factory FPR? Can it keep up with an aftermarket pump?  That's one reason people upgrade to an aftermarket FPR.

I want to say I installed a dw65c prior to rebuilding my engine and tuning for the new combination. I probably didn't run it very long, maybe a few weeks or months. I wanted to verify the fuel pump replacement worked rather than tuning on an old oem pump, then upgrading to aftermarket and retuning. 

Factory FPR is fine with an aftermarket pump.  Only reason for an aftermarket fpr is more fuel volume, not pressure. 

You dont NEED to tune for a new pump, but you should have the tune checked.  At a minimum monitor your AFR with a wideband and if you are running rich, its the pump and your OEM was not 100% up to the task.  I would suspect your going to need to make some minor adjustments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoozeRS05 said:

One year in with my AEM shortly, no problems yet. Ultimately did switch to a Cobb OTS tune, but not until well after. FPR should do it’s job unless incoming fuel press. is ridiculous.

Maybe temporarily throw in a T and check with a pressure gauge to be sure you’re safe?

I’m now on the Sti FPR with vacuum sourced from BOV supply. Pressure gauge post FPR and filter shows a very steady 31-32 psi, despite the aftermarket pump. Dave at Cryotune asked for it specifically, so I did as I was asked.

I'm running an STi FPR and get a good steady 40-42 psi base, then up from there with boost.

I'm going to go through the parts stash to find the STi fuel pump controller and install that with the DW 300c.

Hoping to keep that good and stable for several years.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, KZJonny said:

Not nice enough out to tear into any big projects, so in the interest of clearing off the ‘needs to be installed shelf’

05FF74C8-6808-4E06-B7FD-7A2D3A5902DD.thumb.jpeg.1fd0f5861bccf5716710dfa94d3371fc.jpeg

Did the OE FPR delete for the Sti unit. Chucked in an inline filter and pressure gauge while I was in there.

Solid 32-33 psi at idle, with 9-10lbs of vacuum. Jumps to 42-43 without manifold vacuum.

No leaks after idling for a few minutes, but I’ll be keeping a fire extinguisher nearby for a while, just in case…🙄

Double checking my work... You had me nervous for a minute.

32 psi with vacuum adjustment. ~10psi vacuum at idle  ∴ 42 psi is actually being delivered 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GearJamr said:

I'm assuming you just followed one of the walkthroughs for this?  My tuner suggested the kit for the 08-14s that is available, but the sti method seems way more cost effective.

Correct. Followed the Covertrussian/Shralp walkthrough. It was pretty straightforward, and yeah, pretty cost effective.

I used Earls parts, for a 10 micron inline filter (cleanable) and a tee with a Turbosmart pressure gauge. Didn't need to add hose, or disconnect the fuel lines. Only pain is getting the existing lines onto the earls fittings, that was a sonofabitch.

If you are going to do a GS brake master brace. Do it while you have all the spaghetti disconnected. Waaaay easier. I did it the stupid way and made the 2 jobs separate.

Most expensive thing was the Sti FPR @ $100 CAD? I'm happy with it. It's a nice clean install, simpler plumbing and from all the available data provides a better, more consistant signal to the FPR. Time will tell, but it's a fairly low dollar mod vs. the pre-made kits.

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Double checking my work... You had me nervous for a minute.

32 psi with vacuum adjustment. ~10psi vacuum at idle  ∴ 42 psi is actually being delivered 

I bought a very nice clean agent fire extinguisher, that I carry in my car just for that cause. My tuner smiled when he saw it and said, "smart move dude" hahaah.  

That is on the list before the drive down to PA. I already have a 10lb normal ABC extinguisher in the car. Have carried one ever since an acquaintances car burned down on the side of a 6 lane highway not far from where I live.

But 32/42 is OEM standard fuel pressure. Nothing scary. It rises with boost, so 60 ish at the top for me?

• Like 2

A couple of years ago, on a 110F hot day, I was driving around town, dropped off my wife at a grocery store. Then I noticed a strong smell of gas. I parked, turned off the engine, opened the hood and fuel was pissing out of the fuel hoses onto the hot engine :eek:. I had my kids with me too!!

I had my fuel extinguisher with me. Cleaned the mess. Luckily, no fire. I could not believe it...

Why was fuel pissing you may ask? Because some punks rebuilt that car (14 years ago) and installed low fuel pressure hoses. I never noticed :mad:. Shame on me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

KZJonny, link to walkthrough? I may do this soon.

Here you are @xt2005bonbon!

I was able to steal some nice fuel injection hose clamps from a scrap engine, so all I needed was the Sti FPR, and a tee for the vacuum line. Old line is capped with some silicon hose w/a bolt clamped into it.

The inline filter and tee + gauge were optional, but I like the idea of not getting crap into the fuel injectors, and as a bonus, they made up enough extra length I did not need to add fuel hose, nor scabby connectors. It’s also another little diagnostic…. Car won’t start? Now I can immediately rule out fuel pressure. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

A couple of years ago, on a 110F hot day, I was driving around town, dropped off my wife at a grocery store. Then I noticed a strong smell of gas. I parked, turned off the engine, opened the hood and fuel was pissing out of the fuel hoses onto the hot engine :eek:. I had my kids with me too!!

I had my fuel extinguisher with me. Cleaned the mess. Luckily, no fire. I could not believe it...

Why was fuel pissing you may ask? Because some punks rebuilt that car (14 years ago) and installed low fuel pressure hoses. I never noticed :mad:. Shame on me.

Yikes!

I’ve had various people over the years ask about the fire extinguisher in the back seat.

Hah! I just say “because old car”, usually shuts them up. Either for fear of an actual fire, or because it makes sense, I don’t know/care.