LegacyGT.com

Beer Snob Thread - Volume 2

jasejase

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Elysian's Space Dust IPA at a restaurant this weekend, very crisp IPA without being overboard on hops, would definitely get again.

Elysian%2BSpace%2BDust%2BIPA.jpg

Budweiser. Support your local independent brewers making better beer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Then drink Budweiser.

And some people do.

My point was, if you like the beer, then it's not about what you necessarily want to support. Unless your local craft brewer made something else that was similar that you enjoyed just as much for a similar price point.

If you're dabbling into craft beer and growing your pallet, I think it's just as important to try all sorts of beers. Even crafts that are mass produced. Otherwise, you may not ascertain a quality difference, etc.

And some people do.

My point was, if you like the beer, then it's not about what you necessarily want to support. Unless your local craft brewer made something else that was similar that you enjoyed just as much for a similar price point.

If you're dabbling into craft beer and growing your pallet, I think it's just as important to try all sorts of beers. Even crafts that are mass produced. Otherwise, you may not ascertain a quality difference, etc.

J, I got your point, however I don't necessarily agree. If you want a solid IPA, buy from the brewers that have everything on the line. There are endless options in the Seattle market, let alone the PNW.

If you want to drink bud, drink bud.

If you want variety and quality to continue to be a part of craft beer, supporting those who share that passion and work towards growth of our segment of the industry otherwise big beer will actively push us out.

Just my view on it from the inside out. Hard to note differences as a consumer.

I get it. Im all about supporting local business too, within reason. I will pay a bit more buying lumber from a local lumber yard over home depot, but there is a breaking point in regards to the cost savings. But that can be said about any small/growing company. My point was, if you're a bud guy, it's ok to drink bud. Perhaps my point got washed up a bit. I think we agree more than we think we do :lol:

If you're into exploring your palette and want to venture into the craft world, you kind of have no choice, but to buy from the smaller breweries. Though the big boys are buying up some of the craft companies, there are still thousands of independently owned craft beer companies. growing daily, as you know. You'd have to go out of your way to specifically by from the big boys in RE to craft beer nowadays. And I think every 'craft drinker' out there, including myself, enjoy the independently owned breweries way more than the big companies. It's still fine to dabble here and there.

If you're at a restaurant, and there are two choices for beer... one is a shitty local craft (yes, this happens), and the other is a more palatable space dust, and you really want a beer.... I would think you choose space dust. Otherwise, If all things are relatively equal, and there's 5 magic hats, a space dust, and a lagunitas on the menu, along with a local independent brewery, I choose the independent if it doesn't suck.

tldr - its ok to drink bud if that's what your into. It's great to support the small/independent breweries that are a part of your community and other peoples. It's a pet peeve of mine to automatically gravitate to harder to find stuff for the sake that it's hipstery and unique. Regardless of quality. There are some craft beers that aren't as good as the big company crafts. However for the most part, the smaller breweries offer better beers.

Edited by jasejase

Amazing subjectivity when it comes to food, drink and any type of art discussed on teh web! As for me, being in upstate NY, I have my Igloo ready to transport Lawson’s Sip and Super Session#8, Singlecut 18 Watt, Brown’s #IPA, and Sloop Super Soft up to Sacandaga tomorrow to enjoy a trip down the 28 mile lake to dine at a decent restaurant with family and friends. Teh Yeti cookie will come in ‘handy’...cheers!

I remember drinking and liking Blue Moon before Coors bought them out. It was a solid tasting Belgian White back then, now days it just tastes different, too much Orange peel or something, I don't know. Maybe it was brewed in smaller batches before the buy out, but I had a Blue Moon on Saturday and didn't really care for it much.

The beer of the weekend was Sky Kraken, damn good beer. It's less hazy than some of the more recent hazy IPA's I've tried, and had some Lager notes to it as well. Good warm weather, Refreshing Beer. I hear Surf Dog is even better but it's much harder to find

FBC-SKY-KRAKEN-logo-PRINT.png

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

• 3 weeks later...
Visited Ft George brewery, twice, Vortex Ipa is a good staple beer, but the 3-Way IPA Casmere is a darn great beer. It's ridiculously good. I still have 5 of them left.

result_1564706917249.thumb.jpg.8d3164d99a7f1c1810fe85250d521520.jpg

Edited by DickDastardly00

I remember drinking and liking Blue Moon before Coors bought them out. It was a solid tasting Belgian White back then, now days it just tastes different, too much Orange peel or something, I don't know. Maybe it was brewed in smaller batches before the buy out, but I had a Blue Moon on Saturday and didn't really care for it much.

The beer of the weekend was Sky Kraken, damn good beer. It's less hazy than some of the more recent hazy IPA's I've tried, and had some Lager notes to it as well. Good warm weather, Refreshing Beer. I hear Surf Dog is even better but it's much harder to find

Your taste has just improved. lol

Your taste has just improved. lol

No doubt there. I also have a few Revision Brewing co beers I brought home. I tried the Elevation Calculation so far and it was excellent also, just insanely good beer.

result_1564803515755.thumb.jpg.2a43e93a51bd34045adcd18d2a66c15e.jpg

Hazy beers are fine IF they are done well! Lotta hack jobs out there.

Marbled Rye by Narrows brewing co is also pretty good, nice hazy with a slight twist, was a smidge on the bitter side even for a hazy IPA, but only in a good way really, makes it stand out from the gobs of other Hazy IPA's out there. Narrows is in Tacoma too, need to go visit that brewery sometime.

result_1564969453750.thumb.jpg.9781da9142130581d02cf359a6adf706.jpg

Edited by DickDastardly00