LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

helpful tip from Hogmeat:

being the type of person who wants things done RIGHT, and in the BEST way, I wired it up with the relay first. Tested it out, said, wow - they are loud, but I thought my ears would be bleeding...unfortunately, no bleeding ears.

anyways, while attempting to hide a shitton of wires, and thinking how crappy it looked, i said, hell, let's try it wired directly to the stock wiring.

So...I crimped on a few spade connectors, plugged them in, and surprisingly - it was just as loud. I noticed NO difference, none at all! So I said "F this" and stripped out all the wiring, fuses, leads, etc - and ran them directly off the stock wires. 4 wires vs 8 wires = the win.

Anyways, there you go :)

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after trying them out for a day...well...honestly, as I said in my 1st post, I thought they'd be like broken eardrum loud.

Well, they are loud, and they will echo down the street, but not as impressive as I had hoped. I may just take them off - i don't like the way they look through the grill

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

after trying them out for a day...well...honestly, as I said in my 1st post, I thought they'd be like broken eardrum loud.

Well, they are loud, and they will echo down the street, but not as impressive as I had hoped. I may just take them off - i don't like the way they look through the grill

Hogmeat:

Have you stood right in front of your car while someone else honks your horn?

If not, DO IT, DO IT NOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

• 1 month later...

Just put mine on tonight, wired in addition to the stock horns.

"Me Rikey!"

I used M6x100 bolts from Canadian Tire, fit right through the holes in the radiator beam. M8's would not have fit.. hope that helps someone. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I installed a set of Supertone's in my wife's Legacy in October. Some time in December, they started working intermittently. A couple weeks ago they stopped working. After an hour or so of throubleshooting, they are now working, but I have no idea what I did to get them working. Here's my story in hopes that it might help someone else out or help you figure out what actually was the problem with mine.

After Supertones stopped working:

1. First, I checked all wire connections because, afterall, the horns did work originally. Nothing loose or disconnected. Everything connected per the instructions and per the diagrams in this thread. Horns wouldn't work.
  2. Second, I swapped the relay. Supertones still wouldn't work. (I have Supertones in my WRX that work fine. Legacy relay worked in WRX. WRX relay did not work in Legacy.)
  3. Third, I reconnected factory horns. Both factory horns worked fine. (I am using one factory horn connector to trigger the relay. The other factory horn sounds in parellel with the Supertones.)
  4. Fourth, I reconnected the factory horn wire to the Supertones. Supertones wouldn't work.
  5. Fifth, I rechecked all wire connections. Everything looked okay. Horns wouldn't work.
  6. Sixth, I disconnected one of the Supertones and shorted it to the battery. It blasted my ear off. Horns work!
  7. Last, I reconnected the horns, relay, and wires. Everything worked. :confused:

Well, I am happy that the Supertones are working again, but am baffled as to what was the cause of the problem in the first place.

Edit: About a day later, the horns stopped working again. I was too fed up to deal with it until a few weeks ago. I found the cause of the problem was a bad ground. I moved the ground wire to another bolt nearby, and now everything works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Edit: About a day later, the horns stopped working again. I was too fed up to deal with it until a few weeks ago. I found the cause of the problem was a bad ground. I moved the ground wire to another bolt nearby, and now everything works.

i was just about to post that

• 2 months later...

I just installed 2 Hella Supertones on my car. I left the stock horns in place and working and simply added the Hellas in front of the radiator on the beam behind the grill. I didn't want to block any airflow over the trans cooler or radiator, so that why I chose the placement (also why my huge trans cooler is angled - to prevent the trans lines from blocking air flow).

There were two mounting holes already present, so no drilling required. I mounted the top horn using the bolt that is just below the hood latch assy. The other horn I simply picked up a stainless bolt/washers & 2 lock nuts to secure it to the beam. I made a simple wiring harness by stretching/laying out all of my wiring & connections and then put everything into plastic loom and wrapped it with electrical tape. I ran the relay up into the engine bay fuse box so that water would be less prone to get anywhere near it and wrapped it well in electrical tape also. Ground wire went from the relay to a bolt on the strut tower just behind the fuse box. Trigger for the relay is hooked up to one of the stock horn wires using a vampire clip to splice in. Here's some pics, I can take others if anyone wants to see more detail.

It's nice and loud now. Also almost addictive, now I want to add two more for some strange reason...

Hella1.thumb.jpg.d22afb250001d9df7010b7ec8758ecdc.jpg

Hella2.thumb.jpg.95630b3ba5119463ce43543ed8e7a6ec.jpg

Hella3.thumb.jpg.829474b3ceda4a3ab7f8bbb4e0d48189.jpg

Hella4.thumb.jpg.b340e274202847e0edad05b0688762c7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This may help until someone fixes the OP.

Well the Impreza install is a little bit different than the Legacy, but even without the pictures I figured out how to wire everything up. Good walkthrough guys! Thanks OP and guy-who-made-the-wiring-diagram!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
HAHAHA i was thinking the same thing.

Bumped a pretty old thread, though. :D

I also find the Hogzaust pretty ridiculous. But, one thing to consider is that Hogmeat lives in IA, where there's no state Inspection for cars. I've never seen more rolling heaps of crap in my life, than when my wife and I lived there.

(Nothing against IA, of course. We loved Davenport.)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived