LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no one said to pull current off the stocker plugs, infact, if you go back a few posts I said not to, the whole point is to relay it, but saying that 14, 16, or 18g wire isn't enough for 12 amps over less than 3 feet is just nonsense.

Well alright then. I should have read what you were talking about.

18g wire is insufficient for 12 continuous amps. You REALLY should be using thicker gauge wire for that kind of load.

It IS convenient that the stock horns use a 1/4" spade terminal. You can plug the stock horn wire directly into the relay, or just build a little Y harness so you retain factory horn function.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Where in MD are you?

I was going to pull a late-nighter installing the 4 on my wifes Impreza (transplanting my 4 to her car) and building my setup. I still haven't finalized my wiring plans. I THINK I'm going to run two parallel circuits. One relay for each set of horns. That's 24 amps through a 40 amp relay, and I'm OK with that. I'll use 10 gauge wiring for each circuit.

I am also going to explore how much room there is to mount an air compressor and my train horns under the bumper. Those would be on a switch, however. No need to blare train horns at some old lady in the middle of town. Highway use only, and only because I drive to Baltimore every day.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Rockville right of norbeck...

And I know what you mean. My friends dakota has the smaller air horns mounted in the engine bay and are on a seperate switch... Nice amount of noise when needed.

I used to make the drive from rockville to Bmore or to south east DC for YEARS.... Now I am so glad I have a 3 mile communte.

Really? You are right down the street from me... how have I never seen you around? I'm near norbeck/georgia.

I work in Hunt Valley. It's a bear of a commute. I bought my car in the middle of August 2009... I have 21,000 miles on it now.

Bought mine feb of 08 with 23k on it. Its now at 60 and spend 6 months or so not being driven with a hole in the trans case(replaced now) and then I was unemployed for 10 months and it didnt move too much... And now low commute is a good thing.

But drivers in the area are just ******* PSYCHO!!! And the stock horns do NOT get their attention. So please wire my Hellas... :D

Haha, I'll see how I feel tonight. I'll shoot you a PM. I've got a long night ahead.

I also need to search around for the compressor and tank for my air horns. I'll install them tonight also, if they'll fit without interfering with anything. Now THOSE will get some attention!

Bad news, bad news and good news.

Bad news: No good place to mount the two extra sets. I will have to weld a completely custom bracket, and I don't really want to do that right now.

Bad news: My train horns are too big to fit under the bumper cover.

Good news: I replaced the stock horns with a pair of Supertones on it's own 12-gauge circuit. I think 6 is plenty for right now. I took two sound clips. One with just 4 horns, the second with all 6. If the stupid fog light buckets weren't so HUGE on the Outback, I could easily fit another two sets (making a total of 10).

I think, eventually, I'll find a way to mount the train horns.

I will say that anything beyond 4 Supertones is just for novelty sake. When I do my wife's car's install, I will probably just run a single relay for all 4 (like my original setup). I don't think I'll run 6 on her car though.

Edit. I have sound clips, but no way to host them. Sorry :(

Just installed my wifes horns. I did 2 sets on her car. I ran independent circuits for each. Both using 12 gauge wire and it's own relay. I also aimed one towards the right side of the car (mounting that horn right on the frame rail). The directionality of the horns is ridiculous. The 300Hz is the one pointed sideways. It sounds like a freight train inside the car when you honk, but holy smokes does that sideways aim make the horns sound louder!

When I arm my alarm, unless you are standing or walking in front of the car, they are pretty sedate. I was walking away from her car after going to the grocery store, and was startled by how loud they sounded. Her 4 almost sound as loud as my 6!

That said, I'm going to re-wire the 4 in my grille with two relays and 12 gauge wire. I also have to find a spot to put the last set of horns on my car.

I'm a pro at taking off these bumpers, but I'll tell you what, the Impreza bumper SUCKS to take off. Such a PITA.

Hey Bac, where did you mount the relays. I was looking around today trying to find a clean spot to put them. The only place I can think of is where the stock horns are on that bracket.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Windy - I have one mounted on the stock bracket. The other is mounted to the A/C condenser bracket bolt (which is where my custom bracket bolts to).

LegacyGTBiggie - GUMMY BEARS!!! When are you free? I GUESS I could do the install for you. I'm pretty quick getting the bumper off of these cars now. Where would you want them mounted? The most difficult part of all of this is timing. I am either at work, school, or with my wife. Car stuff is not to impede wife time, ever. Last weekend would have been a great time. She was out of town, and I got a bunch of car stuff done.

I've never done anything on an 05 (well, I did do a radio install in one... in 05...). The grille comes out without taking the bumper off?

^ Yes, the grille comes out without the bumper needing to be removed. One Pop-It per side, one bolt per side, plus four clips at the top. Reinstall is a bit tricky, as you'll want to "latch" the bottom of the grille to the bumper skin, first, before reversing the steps above - or else you'll end up with a gap where that is..... ;)

When I did my auxiliary horn, I had the bumper off, but I *think* you'll have sufficient access to that area without having to remove the bumper, on an '05-'07, if you removed the intake airbox assembly and went in from "underneath," after pulling the undertray. Can't guaranty this, though..... :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I bought the bracket. It installed quickly and easily. Looks good too. Price isn't too bad. Would suggest some threadlock and some of those stainless steel nuts with the nylon inserts to keep it in place.

• 3 months later...
just finished the install. I have an 05 and the stock horn was clearly visible after you took off the intake scoop. pics to come. i only honked it for half a second cause car is still in the garage and it's 10:30pm. didn't want to wake the neighbors.

• 3 months later...

I did the install yesterday and for anyone that forgot, stainless is NOT magnetic......:ohhh: But on the plus sign I did find a couple pop-its when I went digging for the washers I kept dropping....LOL

On the serious side, I should have done this sooner if the weather would have allowed me to, these are awesome! They are louder than stock which is great; after I was done and went back in the house my wife asked if the loud horn she heard was me because the cats went into hiding and I didn't see them for a couple hours.

The only odd part of the install was that I had to pull the panel down from under the car to find the stock horn (yes, there was only one.... Hmmmm I did buy the car used...), but I did find the wire for the second which made hooking up the control wire easy. Also after you remove the two bolts and two plastic pop-its, you may have to give the grill a little extra persuasion toward the front of the car to get it to come out.

If there is anyone thinking of doing this, DO IT! They are much better than the stock horn, or should I say horns......

Archived