LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
got mine, will install tonight. I'm not using a relay, and will be using 18gauge wire because 14gauge is overkill. and I'm out of it.

Ha! I wired mine up with a relay and 12 gauge wire!!

ha! I wired mine up with a relay and 12 gauge wire!!

+1:)

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I was lazy and just spliced mine into the stock wire and ran it off of there right to the horns. No relay or nothing, though I'm going to have to pull them back off and give them a proper coat a of paint.

They where straight when I finished

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Auto%20Photo%20Shoots/Legacy/DSC_8861.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 4 weeks later...

Picture of my supertones before painting them black

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/93turbo/My%2007%20Legacy/0720091758shopped.jpg

After painting them

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/93turbo/My%2007%20Legacy/0726091839shopped.jpg

bump. Anyone have the install with pictures and where they spliced into the wires?

I ran a wire from the hella's to the stock horns and just spliced into one of the wires feeding the stock horns. Then at the Hella's I make a Y piece that goes from one horn to the other, and another Y connecting the other terminals to a bolt for ground.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Not exactly sure I understand what you mean, but running the horns in series won't work. You'll have the negative side of the series quiet or not functional at all, You have to run ground and positive in parallel to both horns for full operation.

Winning the internet

That'll work just keep in mind that the Hella horns draw off a lot more power than the stockers. Plus once you splice the stock positive horn, why not just complete the job with a proper fused relay to the batter?

Winning the internet

Use the OP install instructions and diagram or you can search for other members installs, if you don't feel like splicing or tapping then do what i did and make a "jumper wire" to plug in between the factory horn and harness (take two pieces of wire, strip the center portion of one and solder the other into it and use the corresponding connectors for each end) . Then plug in the relay to it and hook everything else up accroding to the diagram the OP posted. For the ground points, I just used an existing one on the frame of the car in the engine bay. I also fused the 12v connection from the battery to the relay just for safe measures and for a complete wiring job.

That'll work just keep in mind that the Hella horns draw off a lot more power than the stockers. Plus once you splice the stock positive horn, why not just complete the job with a proper fused relay to the batter?

True. I am not a genius at wiring though so that is why I am somewhat hesitant.

Any difference in using the 12g compared to the 14g wire? I have a spool of 12g that I planned on using.

Also, When unplugging the stock connectors to the stock horns, is there 1 or two connectors that need to be unplugged? And if there is 2, do I need to wire one Hella to one plug and the other Hella to the other plug?

RIPjeep,

If you have the 12ga, use it. Not trying to be Cpt. Obvious, but the larger gauge wire will yield a larger delivery of power for the horns to use in order to get the most out of them you can.

I don't know what differences there are between 07 & 09, but on my 07, there were 2 horns, with 1 connection each to disconnect.

I'm not sure how you plan on wiring these (with or without Hella relay) or where you plan on placing them (stock location vs. behind the grille), but you could use your "one wire to one Hella, the other wire...etc etc" method.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

RIPjeep,

If you have the 12ga, use it. Not trying to be Cpt. Obvious, but the larger gauge wire will yield a larger delivery of power for the horns to use in order to get the most out of them you can.

I don't know what differences there are between 07 & 09, but on my 07, there were 2 horns, with 1 connection each to disconnect.

I'm not sure how you plan on wiring these (with or without Hella relay) or where you plan on placing them (stock location vs. behind the grille), but you could use your "one wire to one Hella, the other wire...etc etc" method.

ok. I was planning on putting them with the screws that hold the radiator in place behind the grill since I have the Cobb radiator shroud and the one Hella won't fit underneath it. Also, was planning on using the one Hella to one stock connector, and second Hella to second stock connector method without the relay.

I have to get a second hand to unplug the stock connectors. I could get the connector with the push button release easily, but the other has that stupid clip and I can't push the little itsy bisty tab in and pull at the same time.

ok. I was planning on putting them with the screws that hold the radiator in place behind the grill since I have the Cobb radiator shroud and the one Hella won't fit underneath it. Also, was planning on using the one Hella to one stock connector, and second Hella to second stock connector method without the relay.

Okay. But I'd advise that you find a way to work the relay in there....makes the Hella's worth the purchase.

I have to get a second hand to unplug the stock connectors. I could get the connector with the push button release easily, but the other has that stupid clip and I can't push the little itsy bisty tab in and pull at the same time.

:confused: Dude, you're like speaking Greek to me. Speaka de english!

Okay. But I'd advise that you find a way to work the relay in there....makes the Hella's worth the purchase.

:confused: Dude, you're like speaking Greek to me. Speaka de english!

Lol sorry. There are two seperate connectors to the stock horns. I can get the one stock connector off, the one that has the push button tab, but the other connector that has the little slit that you need to push in I cannot get off. I am just going to wait and have one of my friends who is a wire-ing guru help me out with it so I can wire in the new relay.

You are smarter already my friend. A man who knows his limits prior to breaking something and asking for education/information is wise indeed.

You won't regret wiring in the relay...trust me.

<-- relay wired in, used 12ga wire and placed horns directly in the grille opening....max effect!

:lol: I think I get faster reaction times and shocked looks from recipients since I've upgraded horns and wire too!

You are smarter already my friend. A man who knows his limits prior to breaking something and asking for education/information is wise indeed.

You won't regret wiring in the relay...trust me.

<-- relay wired in, used 12ga wire and placed horns directly in the grille opening....max effect!

:lol: I think I get faster reaction times and shocked looks from recipients since I've upgraded horns and wire too!

True, very true. And things with me tend to go wrong all the time.lol I will wire-ing the relay also. Just need to find a sheet of metal to drill to place the Hella's in the grill, and be able to fit under my Cobb radiator shroud. My one Hella hits the scoop portion of it so have the get the piece of metal to make it fit.

Archived