LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm the process of putting together a harness for my new supertones and figure out where the stock horns are. For the life of me I can't seem to see them. I have a K&N intake and the intake heat shield makes it difficult to get my hands down the wheel well to access and properly see what's going on down there. I really want to avoid removing the intake heat shield (it was PITA to get that and the MAF hose connected in the first place) so I'm looking for some help on what to do here.

I shoved a camera down there and got some shots of what I think are the 2 horns (the alarm chirp horn and the normal horn). Which horn wire do I cut and connect to the relay? And how come there's only one wire instead of two going to those horns? I'm guessing the brackets act as grounding points?

Also, Can I ground the horns and the relay to the same spot?

Here are the pics:

What I believe to be the stock horns (the right horn is closest to the right wheel; I believe the connector below is the fog light):

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu99/ripcurl55/LGT/IMG_3160_resize.jpg

The reason I can't see the horns (the intake heat shield)

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu99/ripcurl55/LGT/IMG_3169_resize.jpg

I'm the process of putting together a harness for my new supertones and figure out where the stock horns are. For the life of me I can't seem to see them. I have a K&N intake and the intake heat shield makes it difficult to get my hands down the wheel well to access and properly see what's going on down there. I really want to avoid removing the intake heat shield (it was PITA to get that and the MAF hose connected in the first place) so I'm looking for some help on what to do here.

I shoved a camera down there and got some shots of what I think are the 2 horns (the alarm chirp horn and the normal horn). Which horn wire do I cut and connect to the relay? And how come there's only one wire instead of two going to those horns? I'm guessing the brackets act as grounding points?

Also, Can I ground the horns and the relay to the same spot?

Here are the pics:

What I believe to be the stock horns (the right horn is closest to the right wheel; I believe the connector below is the fog light):

The reason I can't see the horns (the intake heat shield)

Do this from underneath the car unless you have really long arms.

Unplug the lead to the stock horn and get one of those male flag / spade connectors to use on the end of your new wire running to your relay and plug it into the connector you removed from the horns (circled in red). You can ground the horns to any spot really. Just make sure you removed any corrosion or paint prior to bolting the ground down. There is a nice ground point on the frame right there that you can use. Hook it in with a ring terminal.

Horn.JPG.4b09d2d0d64286ea96593ff2422d0087.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
I have the subimods kit.....everything is wired and ready to go except the I need to know which wire to tap from the factory set will activate the horn.

Use a vampire clamp on one of the feeds going to the stock horns. Their mounted under the passenger headlight. You'd have to take the bumper off to get to them.

This reminds me I'd need to take my horns back out and clean the contacts up. They don't seem as loud anymore. Maybe cause I use them too often. :)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

So I redid mine using the relay and still have use of one of the stock horns (I taped into one wire while the other is still connected, like the pic shown)

All the wires I used were 12 guage. I bought 10ft black ribbed wire harness cover to hide the ricy red wires, lol

I used insulated connectors but also used hotglue to cover up exposed wires around the relay. I also added a 15A fuse and wired it to hide inside the fuse panel behind the battery

Some pics.

Hope these help

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/Hellawireinst.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0972.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0971.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0970.jpg

• 10 months later...
Do this from underneath the car unless you have really long arms.

Unplug the lead to the stock horn and get one of those male flag / spade connectors to use on the end of your new wire running to your relay and plug it into the connector you removed from the horns (circled in red). You can ground the horns to any spot really. Just make sure you removed any corrosion or paint prior to bolting the ground down. There is a nice ground point on the frame right there that you can use. Hook it in with a ring terminal.

Back from the dead thread. When I unplug the connector to the stock horn and plug in my spade connector on the wire leading to 86 on the relay am I done there, or do I need to do something with grounding the stock horns?

Also, I am only supposed to have one wire coming from 86 on the relay, and in turn plug that into one of the factory horn connectors, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

you guys who have the brackets..... how well do your horns work?

what's your bracket made of?

I can't decide if I want to bolt the bracket the came with the horns directly to the spar or use a length of aluminium stock.

i remember years ago (like possible 20 or 25 years), my dad told me the brackets for the horns were springy so the the horns themselves vibrate more for better/louder sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used some 3/4 x 1/8" amuminum. I think I made it 10.5" long. Plan to do the same on my wife's OBW this weekend when I install her horns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Here's a crappy pic of mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1334248147933.thumb.jpg.1984547f6c747a1bea5885d0ae99555e.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Use a vampire clamp on one of the feeds going to the stock horns. Their mounted under the passenger headlight. You'd have to take the bumper off to get to them.

You don't. Just jack up the front passenger side of the car. Remove 2-3 pipits and fold the plastic cover down. Voila! Hello horns. This is how I change my fog light bulbs as well.

• 2 months later...
Just to confirm where did you ground the neg leads from the hellas? Also how can I confirm which is + and - on the hellas, both prongs are gold.

I ran the -ve back to the battery -ve terminal. I was wondering the same. I don't think it matters. Unless I just got lucky.

• 2 years later...

F*ck it, I'll add my $0.02 since I just wired these. I mounted mine in the the two holes that are in between the plastic clips for the grille, on the right side i had to push a plastic clip out that just holds the hood latch wire and rested it on top of the bolt now holding the horn in.

I also sanded down the back of these holes and sent the ground wire directly to that bolt instead of running unnecessary lengths of wire and having both horns going to the same ground. Also, I haven't hooked up the stockers-to-relay wire yet because I have lost sunlight (poor timing) and I wanted to see if I had a good ground, so I took a loose wire and touched the battery (+) to the horns. HOLY SH^T, I don't know why I thought that was a great idea, so loud they made my ears ring. BUT HEY, They work!

• 6 months later...

I know this is a old thread but I must be the only one who does not mind the sound of the stock '05 GT horn? It sounds better then the other pre '2000's models.

I know this is about the Hellas but has anyone used the sickspeed? I just don't feel like taking off the hellas and powder coating them.

I had a good ground, so I took a loose wire and touched the battery (+) to the horns. HOLY SH^T, I don't know why I thought that was a great idea, so loud they made my ears ring. BUT HEY, They work!

I did the same thing when i installed them on my bugeye. In a single car garage with the doors closed... very dumb thing to do!!

Archived