LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be another bolt hole below that one. Also you don't have to mount them in the grill area. you could put them in the wheel well area where the stockers are and have almost the same loudness.

-cf

Winning the internet

There should be another bolt hole below that one. Also you don't have to mount them in the grill area. you could put them in the wheel well area where the stockers are and have almost the same loudness.

-cf

This I know but I have a R-Rev grill and am looking at filling in the space behind it

And I do see the lower bolt hole. Now all I need is to go get a bolt long enough, with a washer and lock-nut. Does anyone know that if I undo the 2-10mm bolts holding that upright bar will I be able to bend it out far enough to get the lock-nut on the back side?

Anybody have any ideas on how to mount these in the grill with the Cobb radiator shroud installed? The scoop of the shroud sits right where the one hella would sit if I mounted it to the bolt that holds the hood latch in.

There's an empty bolt hole right under the latch piece. Stick a bolt from the back side of the bracket towards the front, stick the horn mounts on the bolt. Then toss a lock washer and a lock nut on the bolt and tighten it down, all done. They horns will be close together but it works with the Cobb piece since I have it too.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

There's an empty bolt hole right under the latch piece. Stick a bolt from the back side of the bracket towards the front, stick the horn mounts on the bolt. Then toss a lock washer and a lock nut on the bolt and tighten it down, all done. They horns will be close together but it works with the Cobb piece since I have it too.

hey thanks for the walkthrough. never though of putting the bolt in backwards and putting the lock nut on the front side...ill let you know how it goes

Alright, can someone quickly enlighten me. How the hell do you get the bolt in from the back side? There is clearly not enough room between the radiator and the center support to wiggle the bolt around to the back side of that center support. Can someone help me out here please?

Don't,

That's what the washers are for.

You should be able to get the nut plus box wrench in behind the piller no problem. That's also why you want to use a lock nut.

So how does it go? Bolt, washer, Hella Supertone brackets, then lock nut on back side of support beam?

I've got a brand new pair of Supertones that I need to install. IAG Performance is selling them with pre-fab harnesses, including the relays, and I haven't had time to put them in yet. Had them in my old RS, they were great, but I never used the relay in that car.

As it stands now, I think the harness was built for the stock location... It's pretty short, so I think so.

Wire looming, 12g/18g vampire splice, 12g/14g wire, and a box of 1/4" wiring clips (for the relay), 5/8" terminal clip, and an inline fuse is all you need for the job. Plus some electrical tape and zip ties to keep things neat and tidy.

The relay comes with the hella kit, creating the wiring harness is easy.

Winning the internet

• 5 weeks later...

Here's my quick-n-dirty install on my '08 LGT.

I used the relay in my setup. Horn signal was tapped by removing the intake, popping off the innermost horn connector, and plugging in a spade connector. Like another member mentioned in their install, I installed the relay near to the fusebox to keep it relatively dry (I still need to tape/heatshrink that whole assy).

I used an existing hole on the bottom of the center bar, putting the horns behind the license plate. I felt this gave better radiator clearance, and I couldn't get the upper two screws out of the grill, so this was easier too.

Pics:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty001.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty002.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty004.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty003.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty005.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty006.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/tkdkracker007/08%20LEGACY%20GT%20LMTD/Hella%20Supertones-%20Quick%20N%20Dirrty%20install/hellas_quickndirty007.jpg

• 5 months later...
Had the Hellas installed on Saturday and used the subimods bracket and plug and play relay harness. The harness worked out great but was not happy with the bracket. Imo the bracket is to long and very flimsy at the mounting point. This makes it very easy for the horns to vibrate due to how far apart they are. Sooo I went to Home Depot and found a tee bracket in the decking aisle. UPC# 044315037108 (sorry forgot the sku#.) All the mounting holes are already drilled. If you trim the top of the bracket leaving an 1/8 of an inch on top you can then use the lower bolt for the hood bracket to install it. Once the whole thing was installed I covered up the area and sprayed the tee bracket with flat black paint and it was done. It looks very similar to post # 133. The tee bracket from Home Depot was $3.73. I will post pics sometime this week.

• 1 month later...

I have the subimods bracket on mine and mine is really thick, looks great and defiantely doesnt vibrate.

ps the relay is overkill and completely unnecessary. Hella states the relay is only for older cars that dont run 2 stock horns. hellas use less power than the stock so simply plugging them into the stock harness is more than enough.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

Archived