LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install Walk Through w/ pics

j.reed

Does anyone have a sound bite of these. I'm a little scared that they might be too loud.

Thanks for posting the link where to get them. I'm looking at the 113db.

It's never too loud if it keeps some a--hole who's not paying attention from wandering into your lane.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
first i got the superton horns cause last week i almost got ran off the road by a f350 the driver was on the phone and just came over no blinker nothing(massholes) i hit the horn and he still kept coming so i slammed on the brake. got to the office 4 min later and order the horns. i will be installing them today via this tread. will post pics. the only thing im doing differnet is pre wiring the horns.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/lvethesnow/0526071017.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/lvethesnow/0526070958.jpg

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/lvethesnow/0526070958a.jpg

money spent so far

horns------------------------------------------------------------61.00 shipped

red 14 gauge wire----------------------------------------------4.02

black 14g wire---------------------------------------------------4.02

nuts and bolts---------------------------------------------------0.98

tip ties-------------------------------------------------------------2.97

wire crimpers w/ connectors cause i didnt have them -5.45

vault energy drink----------------------------------------------1.23

TOTAL-----------------------------------------------------------79.67

more pics of the install later today

• 3 weeks later...

I installed these over the weekend using the instructions (mostly) posted here. Easy to do, love the sound, and I didn't use the relay at all. Sufficiently loud for just the two horns, and I've gotten a few comments since installing them.

"Geez, dude...that's so loud all the rats in the alley are probably sterile!"

"What the f*** was that??? Your car??"

"Good, now your car doesn't sound wimpy...where'd you get them?"

I'm sitting in the service department at my Subie dealership getting regular service done and I've heard that horn go off 6 times so far. The shop techs are probably having a blast (pun intended), probably honking it when someone walks in front of the car. The service tech spotted them through the grille when he took the car and honked it almost immediately.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

i scared the cell phone out of a ladies hand when she tried coming into my lane when i was next to her(not in the blind spot talking front window across from front window) of course with her left elbow rested on the window sill and phone glued to ear not looking just starting coming over held the horn, she dropped the phone and swerved back. i laughed and called her names(got to love massachusetts)

Anyone have a sample of what these sound like? I had a wonderful person open their car door in front of me. I think it's time to order these, the stock horn didn't scare the crap out of her.

...relocate the stock ones like I did!!!

;)

The stock ones are located on the passenger side front bumper. In back of and slightly above the fog light housing...this idea/location dampens the sound tremendously. I unbolted it...extended the wire...and mounted it right behind my rbs grille.

$0.00 and looks stealthy and is a lot louder...but not supertone loudness!!! ;)

CRAZY KEN

FWIW, I've got the supertones mounted in the grill and one low tone horn off of an Oldsmobile Delta88 in the stock location...

It really fills in for the very high pitched supertones nicely...

FWIW, I've got the supertones mounted in the grill and one low tone horn off of a Buick Delta88 in the stock location...

It really fills in for the very high pitched supertones nicely...

Wasn't that an Oldsmobile Delta88? I had one of those!

...I rather have it and not need it...than need it and not have it!

It's like my loaded Colt King Cobra Stainless Steel .357 magnum in my car! (Shrugging shoulders...arms raised...palms facing up) If you can't do it with 6 you can't do it at all!

;)

CRAZY KEN

...are there any cops in this forum?

Anyways it's also an enhancement for your car alarm...you will be able to hear your alarm from inside your house. Thieves would be scared and run away. You will definetly attract strangers attention if it goes off.

CK

The stock ones are located on the passenger side front bumper. In back of and slightly above the fog light housing...this idea/location dampens the sound tremendously.

CRAZY KEN

Yeah, thats what i was afraid of. I mounted the Supers in the stock location, wired in with the relay and honked the horn....hmmm, thats european, but not terribly louder.

Maybe its time to relocate them behind the grille and camo them in DGM or black....I don't need baboon's arses. :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I have mine located behind my grill and it has caught the attention of at least 4 drivers that cut me off or are on their cell phones going into my lane without looking. Especially the 2 times seperate dingle-berries ran stop signs near my house while on their cell phones,...BEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!!

I love it!!

I dont use my horn much at all but when you need to get someone attention you need a loud horn. The stock horn is useless for this service.

Why does the factory install such a useless horn?

EG Some DH in an F350 was going to back up into me in a parking lot. I was frantically honking my horn. He never heard it. Thank God some bystander told him to stop.

For all those looking for a sound quality comparison from stock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_k_nZYV5E]YouTube - STi Hella Supertone[/ame]

Of course, it hard to judge volume since the computer speakers can be adjusted.

Archived