LegacyGT.com

well....crap. please help

I don't even have a plan anymore. When he gets time, im hoping he can come down with that sprocket and maybe he will see something i missed.

Side note: I was offered a 2011 STi with a blown engine for $4k today. He threw a rod, so I'm pretty sure it needs a new short block at the minimum. I found a complete EJ257 longblock for $3500 online. I believe that's a $20k car, right? Limited, 6MT. Another option is grab the car for $4k and part it out. I know the 6MT and diffs go for a mint, as do the brake setups. I would keep the longblock for a build at a later date. Could sell the turbo though if its still good. I just dont have $7500 to put in right now to pick up the car and get it roadworthy again

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, either that or skip it.

In 2018 that old STi (nearly two chassis and body styles old)

is at best a $15K car, but given the abuse its most likely seen

and 7-8 years worth of aging and wear on the inside and out -

all things rubber across the engine bay, suspension, exhaust,

then mechanically/electronically the turbo, sensors, timing belt, water pump

- its probably more of a $10-12K fair value car.

Exactly, either that or skip it.

In 2018 that old STi (nearly two chassis and body styles old)

is at best a $15K car, but given the abuse its most likely seen

and 7-8 years worth of aging and wear on the inside and out -

all things rubber across the engine bay, suspension, exhaust,

then mechanically/electronically the turbo, sensors, timing belt, water pump

- its probably more of a $10-12K fair value car.

2011 STIs still sell in the mid-high 20s if they have less than 100k miles, believe it or not.

A part of me wanted to get it running to trade it for a specB, but,the idea is to make money, not spend more. Am I off my rocker to ask $3500 for the 6MT, linkage, amd diffs? How about $1200 for the brake setup? $500 for the turbo? That all sounds reasonable, right?

well, sometimes I hate having integrity.

After telling the wife my grand plan for this STi, she all but begged me to keep it. She said I always wanted an STi and that I truly deserve one. She remembers all the great stories from when I had my beast of an MR2. She wants to see that smile on my face again. But, being the logical person that I am, I told her that I couldn't pass up the 5 figure profit I could make by restoring and selling that car.

that said, I had two days to sit on it and figure out which avenue I wanted to take (parting out, or rebuilding).

The very abbreviated back story on this car: 2011 STi Limited, original owner. 98k mostly highway miles. the older lady that owns it makes an 80 mile commute each day. She went on a cruise and let her room mate borrow the car while she was gone. younger kid, hard on everything, hot rodding around town, ran the car 4 quarts low on oil and threw a rod. She gets home from the cruise to find a dead car and a missing room mate so she buys a 2018 STi and trying to just cut her losses on her 2011 STi.

as the beginning of this post states, my integrity got the better of me. instead of just driving up there and stealing that car for $4k, I gave the lady some options:

Option 1: buy a new longblock from Heuberger and let me drop it in for her - $10k parts & labor / $22k resale value

Option 2: buy a used longblock from the net and let me drop it in - $6k parts and labor / $16-18k resale value

Option 3: Buy a new shortblock from Heuberger, send the heads out for cleaning and decking, and I install it. - $5k parts and labor (more for my labor) / $18-20k resale value

Option 4: I'll just come take it off her hands and she can wipe her hands clean of that car

the ball is in her court. we'll see what happens

back.png.f590ff08590bd0d80addd7aac7ac1a81.png

side.thumb.png.21e5c03ba26a216583a54f18093ca76c.png

well, sometimes I hate having integrity.

After telling the wife my grand plan for this STi, she all but begged me to keep it. She said I always wanted an STi and that I truly deserve one. She remembers all the great stories from when I had my beast of an MR2. She wants to see that smile on my face again. But, being the logical person that I am, I told her that I couldn't pass up the 5 figure profit I could make by restoring and selling that car.

that said, I had two days to sit on it and figure out which avenue I wanted to take (parting out, or rebuilding).

The very abbreviated back story on this car: 2011 STi Limited, original owner. 98k mostly highway miles. the older lady that owns it makes an 80 mile commute each day. She went on a cruise and let her room mate borrow the car while she was gone. younger kid, hard on everything, hot rodding around town, ran the car 4 quarts low on oil and threw a rod. She gets home from the cruise to find a dead car and a missing room mate so she buys a 2018 STi and trying to just cut her losses on her 2011 STi.

as the beginning of this post states, my integrity got the better of me. instead of just driving up there and stealing that car for $4k, I gave the lady some options:

Option 1: buy a new longblock from Heuberger and let me drop it in for her - $10k parts & labor / $22k resale value

Option 2: buy a used longblock from the net and let me drop it in - $6k parts and labor / $16-18k resale value

Option 3: Buy a new shortblock from Heuberger, send the heads out for cleaning and decking, and I install it. - $5k parts and labor (more for my labor) / $18-20k resale value

Option 4: I'll just come take it off her hands and she can wipe her hands clean of that car

the ball is in her court. we'll see what happens

Right COA. You'll sleep better knowing that you went the extra mile and retained your integrity throughout. Priceless actually.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks Brother, I feel like it was the right thing to do as well. damn it anyway.

Aj,

I did discuss some potential actions against/toward her room mate. Her legal representation advised her not to pursue it because there is no way to "prove" that he caused the damage. yes, the car broke on his watch, but he could argue that she drove it in to the ground and was a ticking time bomb to begin with. it would cost her more in fees and court costs than she could get out of him anyway.

No question. Its being sold. The question is whether to part it out or soend money to get it running.

Anyone want to help pocket the expenses for a cut of the return? Lol

Honestly at that price point I'm having a really hard time understanding why you don't want to keep it. It's a bargain no matter how I look at it. Rebuild it and keep it. That is unless you have another toy in mind :spin:

Because im broke as a joke. im so poor, i can't afford to pay attention. The insurance and gas alone is enough of a deterrence for me. I already have an LGT. Believe me, I'd love to keep it, but i just can't justify it.

Makes perfect sense.

Got the money! I'm putting a brand new motor in that thing. Meanwhile, I'm putting the OBXT back together as we speak so i can move it out of my garage. Ill be taking it to Heuberger for diagnosis in the future. Cant wait to figure out what is wrong with this car.

Archived