LegacyGT.com

well....crap. please help

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so here's the last bit of pics for you. super long story short, we pulled the broken motor from his 05 LGT, swapped some goodies over to the OBXT motor, and dropped it in. car now runs like a champ!! I pulled some logs and everything looks great. Couldn't be happier.

for the sake of total transparency and in hopes others dont make the same mistake i did: When installing a new rear main seal, be sure to keep it flush and dont drive it all the way in. my dumb ass drove it in and it blocked the return passage causing a pretty significant leak of oil. we were ready to take the car for a test drive last night after letting it idle for about 20 minutes. as we were backing out of the garage, we noticed a huge puddle of oil and a trail of oil to the car. after looking at it, we concluded it was coming from the brand new rear main seal. completely my fault. I'll own that mistake. I suck at life. so we spent the next hour pulling the motor AGAIN. we were really booking it and had that thing down to a science. Kieth came over around 1430 today to put the motor back in and he drove off at 1730. so, pretty quick turn around. had a vacuum leak from not connecting the FPR line to the plenum, but after that plugged in, all the values look great. the car pulls like a bat out of hell. the only noise it makes is the chatter from the fuel injectors. else, solid freggin car!

Another satisfied customer! Also, Kieth is a beast turning wrenches. It was an absolute pleasure having him over to help out. he certainly knows his way around a tool box and is more knowledgeable on these cars than most. This car definitely went to the right owner!

done1.jpg.319c13b18d8329db1ec7a98364870cff.jpg

done2.jpg.6e42076694748e691f89e4a457384603.jpg

done3.jpg.c45d31b1d14bba722ded29fdaa80a127.jpg

done4.jpg.33b0f869a85d4fafbe7f286ff23ac73f.jpg

1919470387_done5.jpg.0610fd06cda72ecc37d1ec664f598798.jpg

done6.jpg.c0bbcc601805f9c368b7d2dc895a8df7.jpg

so here's the last bit of pics for you. super long story short, we pulled the broken motor from his 05 LGT, swapped some goodies over to the OBXT motor, and dropped it in. car now runs like a champ!! I pulled some logs and everything looks great. Couldn't be happier.

Which goodies did you exactly take from the LGT and put in the OBXT? At least, I see a GS intercooler.

Had to avoid things that required a custom tune so that really just left the Group N motor mounts, Torque Solutions pitch stop, Grimmspeed intercooler, Koyorad radiator, Samco rad hoses and bypass hose, Tomei Expreme EL header w/catless up pipe, and Perrin catted downpipe. Going back later for the JDM HVAC and aftermarket radio, LED lights, and shift boot and e-brake boot, and sway bars.

I see. Now, keep a good eye to what btssm reports to make sure she runs well for many many miles.

OP, could you now summarize what has been done to the engine in the end. And can you also report any tips and tricks (e.g. when you pull the engine, put it back, take engine apart, etc...) that you may have? I may have to do the exact same thing you just did (rings/pistons).

Had to avoid things that required a custom tune so that really just left the Group N motor mounts, Torque Solutions pitch stop, Grimmspeed intercooler, Koyorad radiator, Samco rad hoses and bypass hose, Tomei Expreme EL header w/catless up pipe, and Perrin catted downpipe. Going back later for the JDM HVAC and aftermarket radio, LED lights, and shift boot and e-brake boot, and sway bars.

Not sure what you were coming from, but typically an EL header will need an update to the tune, as will the down pipe if it used to be stock. There was a pretty decent difference on mine when I went from stock manifold to EL headers.

Not sure what you were coming from, but typically an EL header will need an update to the tune, as will the down pipe if it used to be stock. There was a pretty decent difference on mine when I went from stock manifold to EL headers.

You make a good point. I put the Cobb stage 2 OTS tune on; it's pretty close and appears to do okay. I'll be getting a custom tune from Cryotune once I get the car settled and wideband wired in again.

alright, this post is for BonBon and anyone else that wants the recap:

I bought the car with an assumed diagnosis of a blown head gasket due to misfires in cyl2&4. stupid long story short, had to replace pistons and rings due to completely separated ringlands on both pistons. I also went ahead and freshened up the heads, valve train, replaced all gaskets, and put valve lash back in spec.

as for tips and tricks -- leave as much on the engine as possible when pulling the motor. it's actually a very simple job to pull the motor. 6 tranny bolts, 2 starter bolts, 2 motor mount bolts, fuel lines, coolant lines to the heater core, brake booster vac line, fpr vac line, wiring harness on the alternator and A/C come off, ground straps on the bottom come off, 5 downpipe bolts, 2 big and 2 small coolant lines from the radiator (pull the radiator out too by unplugging the two fans, and removing the two top plates that hold it in position), unplug the engine-to-body harness and remove the bracket from the firewall, yank the engine! dont be a putz, remove the battery first.

the trick to removing the engine is to jack up the transmission with it so the angle is better -- likewise when reinstalling.

not sure what other advice you could need. dont forget to replace the throw out bearing anytime you pull the motor. just makes life easier in the long run. grease up the input shaft as well. take the extra few minutes to remove the flywheel/flexplate and replace the rear main seal while it's out as well; be sure to keep it flush and not drive it all the way back so you dont block the oil return passage like i did.

that's basically it. if you ever need help or have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Archived