LegacyGT.com

well....crap. please help

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 and 3 look fine. gonna replace the rings on those anyway. i'll replace 2 and 4. cylinders check out perfectly fine and dont need to be honed at all.

i'm dreading getting the rods and pistons lined back up to put the wrist pins back in. that's gonna suck.

piston2.jpg.42466d54fd6fefbff08d942508290056.jpg

piston4.jpg.ee172b439cc07c566b84dfc32e4254ab.jpg

#4 is really hosed. #1&3 look fine. So i need an A and a B piston, and a set of rings.

Check the pistons of 1&3 thoroughly, or you may blow them soon too if 2&4 has gone.

I'd prefer to take all pistons at once even if it's more expensive. It would suck to find out that in a few months 1&3 are gone.

Realize that unless you X-ray you don't know if a piston is good or not at this stage.

453747.png

Not good for karma if it's a time bomb going out. Just run with all pistons stock, but check the diameter of the bores before you get pistons to make sure the diameters are still A or B classed or if you need overdimension.
453747.png

Isn't there a vendor that sells brand new drop in pistons that they take out of new oem blocks for forged builds? Somone like outfront or something? I thought I read somewhere there was and that they sell them at a fairly reasonable cost.

Yeah, i still habe the STi pistols, but irrelevant. I just bought 4 new pistons, set of rings, and the little plastic piece i. Rome off the power steering pump. Another $460 to my build. That puts me right at $5k in to this car and hoping to sell it for $8500

So it was the pistons huh...

Moral of the story (at least for me):

--good cylinder wall conditions do not automatically exclude cracked ringlands

--having two cylinders misfiring on the same bank can indeed be due to cracked ringlands (first time I see this though)

What brought the build cost to 4.5K$ again?

Isn't there a vendor that sells brand new drop in pistons that they take out of new oem blocks for forged builds? Somone like outfront or something? I thought I read somewhere there was and that they sell them at a fairly reasonable cost.

Crawford sells them for $25/piston (B) and $75/piston (A)...

https://crawfordperformance.com/products/take-out-pistons-sti-ej257?variant=18735087303

https://crawfordperformance.com/products/take-out-pistons-sti-ej257?variant=18735087303

Great, now you tell him...;) Where were you the other day...what, did life get in the way. LOL :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just browsed their site. Looks like you still have to add the price of rings which is like 160$. Not sure if it is for all 4 pistons or just one. Not clear.

What brought the build cost to 4.5K$ again?

$3300 for the car

$100 for the trailer rental

$470 for the gasket kit, head bolts, thermostat, and new reservoir tank

$200 for new buckets

$120 in fluids

$350 for the head work

Another $460 for pistons and rings, and the little power steering plastic piece. Gonna need fluids again as well

Pistons and rings are in. What a nightmare. I kept dropping the stupid wrist pin retainer clip into the oil pan. So i had to remove the oil pan 3 times last night to dig it out. I know, I should be just left the oil pan off to begin with, but I have to learn all my lessons the hard way. After my wife gets home to watch my son, I'll put the heads back on and get this car running. Thinking of replacing the clutch and flywheel while I'm in there since this one is about shot. Exedy stage 1 is what's on it right now with the TSK3. Pics to follow

Pistons and rings are in. What a nightmare. I kept dropping the stupid wrist pin retainer clip into the oil pan. So i had to remove the oil pan 3 times last night to dig it out. I know, I should be just left the oil pan off to begin with, but I have to learn all my lessons the hard way. After my wife gets home to watch my son, I'll put the heads back on and get this car running. Thinking of replacing the clutch and flywheel while I'm in there since this one is about shot. Exedy stage 1 is what's on it right now with the TSK3. Pics to follow

It's getting there - and with the oil pan off Murphy's law would have had it that the clip would have been found in the most remote corner in the garage under something taking a forklift to move.

We all just hope that you got it good now!

453747.png

Archived