LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

FIA has released its plans for 2021 motors. Still V6 turbos. Some of the comments in the link are bitchy about turbos. Frankly, if they can make them sound like CART turbos of F1 turbos of the 80s, it's all good to me. They sounded great.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-reveals-details-of-2021-engine-plan-973420/

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All racing (F1, NASCAR, NHRA, etc.) was better when the cars had different manufacturers engines, body/chassis, tires and drivers who actually "drove" their cars.

These spec. cars are boring to look at and really not innovative when everyone has to follow rules drawn up to level the playing field.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

FIA has released its plans for 2021 motors. Still V6 turbos. Some of the comments in the link are bitchy about turbos. Frankly, if they can make them sound like CART turbos of F1 turbos of the 80s, it's all good to me. They sounded great.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-reveals-details-of-2021-engine-plan-973420/

I think the only way that's possible is with removing the fuel flow restrictions. That's why these current ones sound lame - they are limited to 15k rpm in the rules but fuel flow limits them to 12.5. Supposedly to even get to 12.5k rpm, they're running AFRs above 15 at WOT which is staggering considering they're rumored to be at 12 or 13:1 compression ratios.

All racing (F1, NASCAR, NHRA, etc.) was better when the cars had different manufacturers engines, body/chassis, tires and drivers who actually "drove" their cars.

These spec. cars are boring to look at and really not innovative when everyone has to follow rules drawn up to level the playing field.

There are four engine manufacturers now which is low but no way around it with the current budgets for engine development now. Even a giant like Honda struggled (and still is) to get an engine to compete with Ferrari and Mercedes. If you enact budget caps on development, that just turns it more into a spec series, IMO. Indy is a driver's sport but that's why I watch F1 instead - the engineering aspect of it. Indy is pretty much a spec chassis, spec engine, etc.

In F1, if you aren't trying to bend the rules, you aren't going to win. Look at Brawn GP in 2009 - bent the rules and made the double diffuser successful. Was it Mercedes a few years later with the F duct controlled by a knee? What about the other team (Mercedes again?) with two brake pedals to independently control the steering under braking?

I am not a fan of the sound of screaming revs. I did not like the screech of V10s revving to 18k. I did like turbos revving to 12 to 13k.

I once went to hear a Ferrari V12 in the World Sportscars at Mid-Ohio in the 90s. Revved to somewhere around 13k and sounded great when the big V8s weren't blowing my ears out.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Ferrari/97-Ferrari_333SP_016-DV_08-Belle-010.jpg

I saw the V10s at Indy in 2004... I was about 15 rows up in the stands where Ralf hit the wall coming onto the main straight. They were loud.

I never saw the 8s and after seeing the 6s at COTA this year, they leave something to be desired. If they upped the fuel flow to allow 15k revs or even more boost for more noise, I'd probably be okay with it. Hell, I'd be okay with 4s if they had more boost and fuel flow allowed because that old BMW engine was a beast.

I am not a fan of the sound of screaming revs. I did not like the screech of V10s revving to 18k. I did like turbos revving to 12 to 13k.

I once went to hear a Ferrari V12 in the World Sportscars at Mid-Ohio in the 90s. Revved to somewhere around 13k and sounded great when the big V8s weren't blowing my ears out.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Ferrari/97-Ferrari_333SP_016-DV_08-Belle-010.jpg

Funny, that's where I used to work (banner in the back) :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

It would be a lot more interesting in F1 if the engine restrictions only was fuel volume and team losing points at engine swap, and then let the teams play around with the engines as much as they like. We would see a lot more creative solutions then.
453747.png

I saw the V10s at Indy in 2004... I was about 15 rows up in the stands where Ralf hit the wall coming onto the main straight. They were loud.

I never saw the 8s and after seeing the 6s at COTA this year, they leave something to be desired. If they upped the fuel flow to allow 15k revs or even more boost for more noise, I'd probably be okay with it. Hell, I'd be okay with 4s if they had more boost and fuel flow allowed because that old BMW engine was a beast.

The first year for F1 at Indy they didn't restrict fans from pressing up against the catch fence as the cars screamed on to the straight. The cars came within a foot of the wall and you would only be another two feet away. Do that without ear protection! Of course, the next year you couldn't get within 10 feet of the same spot.

My brother, who isn't even a huge F1 fan, heard a rumor that Mercedes won't resign Bottas and that they might try to poach Ricciardo. Anyone else hear this? I haven't kept up on anything so I don't know if Merc has already resigned Bottas or not.

I believe Bottas is with Mercedes for 2018. Only a one year contract and it happened a month or so ago.
Pretty sure I heard this as well.

Just read a story last week that Merc was designing the 2018 car with Bottas' driving style in mind. A car that would suit both he and Hammy equally.

I just watched it on the a Delta flight. Indeed a good documentary. Great piece of racing history!

Side note: Frank is a freaking weird dude. Glad Claire is unlike her father. Hope they make some hay next year.

But the stewards once again messed up with Grosjean. A puncture causes him to spin and take out Occon so they penalize Grosjean. Heck, even if it wasn't caused by a puncture, it was a racing incident.

And how do you know Bacon that Vettel didn't exceed track limits? They never had the camera on him. It's a Ferrari conspiracy, I tell ya.