LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy GT Thread

LegGTLT

Despite sedans selling slowly I think for 2020 we will still see a Legacy counterpart to the Outback on the new global platform. I doubt there will be a Legacy GT, there wasn't one for the current generation for the first time in years. Given where the market is going I doubt they would develop it only to sell in sedan guise as they did the last time, again due to the market.

ON the flip side, maybe that was because they were hesitant to put the WRX 2.0L in the bigger Legacy since not many were doing that at the current range's inception... and maybe with the 2.4T becoming available things will look up? I'm still leaning more towards the former, given Subaru's trend. I think there may still be a chance they unveil an XT or boosted Forester a tad later, it seems like they are working on their turbo engines and that's why we aren't seeing the fruit just yet. Took Toyota and Honda ages to join the party with their new turbo motors. In any case I don't want a 2.0T Legacy, and I doubt we'll ever see one.

Also like many others in this thread, I don't see anything Subaru currently offers as desirable. My next car will likely be a 5 cylinder turbo Volvo, one I can row my own in. I'll continue to buy pre-owned cars that are available with a true manual.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru has specifically said they're abandoning manuals in the US market to push their EyeSight technology into all trim levels, and we should get used to the idea of CVTs as the exclusive transmission choice on Subarus.

Gross. :barf:

Maybe, maybe not...

https://jalopnik.com/perhaps-the-future-of-subaru-s-manual-transmission-isn-1823645963

Despite sedans selling slowly I think for 2020 we will still see a Legacy counterpart to the Outback on the new global platform. I doubt there will be a Legacy GT, there wasn't one for the current generation for the first time in years. Given where the market is going I doubt they would develop it only to sell in sedan guise as they did the last time, again due to the market.

ON the flip side, maybe that was because they were hesitant to put the WRX 2.0L in the bigger Legacy since not many were doing that at the current range's inception... and maybe with the 2.4T becoming available things will look up? I'm still leaning more towards the former, given Subaru's trend. I think there may still be a chance they unveil an XT or boosted Forester a tad later, it seems like they are working on their turbo engines and that's why we aren't seeing the fruit just yet. Took Toyota and Honda ages to join the party with their new turbo motors. In any case I don't want a 2.0T Legacy, and I doubt we'll ever see one.

Also like many others in this thread, I don't see anything Subaru currently offers as desirable. My next car will likely be a 5 cylinder turbo Volvo, one I can row my own in. I'll continue to buy pre-owned cars that are available with a true manual.

Subaru already put the FA20DIT in the Legacy. This generation and previous one, we just never got the car. The 2012 Legacy 2.0 GT DIT was the first car to get the FA20DIT with the 296hp CVT. The same power train is used in the WRX S4 and the Levorg 2.0GT.

Also Subaru of China use to sell the Legacy and Outback with a detuned 239hp version before the refresh.

I meant here in the states. Smaller turbocharged engines have always been a priority in other markets.

The only part of that which doesn't really jive is the Fusion has been available with a 2.0t in previous years and the new Accord bigger engine is a 2.0t vs the smaller 1.6T or 1.5 I don't recall. The only difference being the accord isn't available with AWD. And we know the fa20 puts down some good torque figures and the WRX isn't much lighter than the legacy.

Thread needs moar facts. I'll start:

Taking quotes from the Forester launch:

Tomoyuki Nunome, project manager for the Forester program:

“We think the CVT is most efficient option for this compact SUV class in terms of required torque that the transmission has to take from the engine,” ... “That’s why we chose CVT. Within that torque range of this class the CVT is the most efficient for us.”

Subaru North America CEO Tom Doll:

“We’ll still have manual transmissions in our performance line like for the WRX, but just not in the Forester,” he told Drive.com/au during the 2018 New York Auto show.

Opinion:

With that, and given Subaru's current market behavior, I think it is unlikely we will see a Legacy GT, less so with a manual gearbox. The Legacy does not fit into Subaru's current "performance line" and hasn't since 2012. To them, that's what the WRX and BRZ are for. We might see a 2.4T Legacy/Outback, but if that were the case I would expect it only to replace the H6 as the higher output option, and not in a performance oriented model.

Don't fall stepping off that soapbox with your foot in your mouth...:lol:

I have to say I quite like the feel of the CVT in the WRX and 3.6 Outback I test drove. :p

Have to agree, I do like how smooth our 3.6 Outback is...just not sure I'd like that tranny in a performance car. It's her car so I don't drive it by myself. I really haven't pushed the 2016 Outback (traded in) or the 2018 that hard, but the 3.6 is nice on a long trip.

I be honest, I have never gone to WOT on the 3.6.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I’m not sure you’d want to go WOT especially on the 3.6. They provide near peak torque at 2k. My CVT seems very happy if I stay under 3k and gets crabby if I push above 4K.

If you want or need more fun, the paddles provide some excitement.

• I Donated
Is there a Legacy STI coming? I heard an SOA Rep mention this is in the works.

You're a terrible person and you should feel bad. :lol:

I’m not sure you’d want to go WOT especially on the 3.6. They provide near peak torque at 2k. My CVT seems very happy if I stay under 3k and gets crabby if I push above 4K.

A car I can't even go WOT in? A car that doesn't like to go above 4000 rpm? Sounds f*cking boring.

Opinion:

...given Subaru's current market behavior, I think it is unlikely we will see a Legacy GT, less so with a manual gearbox.

You are wrong.

Read: we want you to be wrong :icon_cry:

IMO, if the manual options for the legacy are going to be as weak as they have been, except the spec b 6mt, then we might as well have a CVT.

And anyway if you are still in a 4th gen you will feel right at home in a WRX.

Not if you're in the 4th gen wagon GT as I am. Give me at least a hatch damn it, I can even live with HDCVT.

Funny thing though is having an MT GT as a daily driver helped me with my damaged left knee that doctor said will never be fully functional again.

There, to the power of MT!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• I Donated
IMO, if the manual options for the legacy are going to be as weak as they have been, except the spec b 6mt, then we might as well have a CVT.

The current gen WRX was a huuuuge step down in refinement from both my 4th gen LGTs (05 non-Limited and 07 Spec.B). Way more cabin noise, way worse materials, way uglier interior design, way stiffer suspension (stiffer than the Koni Yellows I had on both, actually). It was faster, lighter, got better mileage, handled better, had a better (but still behind the times) stereo, and had way more interior room and a more practical dash design, so it was better in every objective way, but IMO it was worse in many subjective ways. It just felt and sounded cheap, and it wasn't as nice to look at either.

I didn't mind even the 5-speed in my 05, either. Still way better than a CVT.

The current gen WRX was a huuuuge step down in refinement from both my 4th gen LGTs (05 non-Limited and 07 Spec.B). Way more cabin noise, way worse materials, way uglier interior design, way stiffer suspension (stiffer than the Koni Yellows I had on both, actually). It was faster, lighter, got better mileage, handled better, had a better (but still behind the times) stereo, and had way more interior room and a more practical dash design, so it was better in every objective way, but IMO it was worse in many subjective ways. It just felt and sounded cheap, and it wasn't as nice to look at either.

I didn't mind even the 5-speed in my 05, either. Still way better than a CVT.

:lol: I don't care what else you say you just admitted the WRX is better than your LGT.

I didn't mean it was better or worse, just it was the same size roughly.

it was the same size roughly.

That's really where the similarities begin and end, lol. Such a basic, geometric, and cheap looking interior from 1995... I don't know how they got away with it.

The widebody before it may have been plasticy, but at least the design had some visual interest. That model though just felt like a big, cheap car. Current model can't even get me to drive it because that interior is just pure garbage and I couldn't possibly live with it for more than 5 mins.

Yes, I'm picky. I feel most 4th genners are ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I Donated
[emoji38] I don't care what else you say you just admitted the WRX is better than your LGT.

I think you need to reread my post and reconsider your conclusion.

I value refinement. It's one of the main reasons I sold the WRX before I was originally intending to and got my SS. I sold my G20 because it got to be too unreliable, my LGT because I wanted to upgrade to a Spec.B, and my Spec.B because it needed a bunch of work and I was interested in the WRX. The WRX was the first car I've sold since my 1990 Legacy wagon because I didn't like actual design feature of the car.

That's really where the similarities begin and end, lol. Such a basic, geometric, and cheap looking interior from 1995... I don't know how they got away with it.

The widebody before it may have been plasticy, but at least the design had some visual interest. That model though just felt like a big, cheap car. Current model can't even get me to drive it because that interior is just pure garbage and I couldn't possibly live with it for more than 5 mins.

Yes, I'm picky. I feel most 4th genners are ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts. I did sit in then-new WRX at autox just to get a feel for the interior, and everything about it was a step down from 4th gen . Design, quality, layout. It wasn't bad, just was not as well thought out and executed as 4th gen.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• I Donated
Layout isn't bad. The headunit up high is better ergonomically, the center screen for the trip computer and gauges is cool, and the cubbyhole in front of the shifter is way more practical than the tiny ashtray in the LGT. But it's definitely a step down in looks and materials, and most modern cars have the same layout but better looking with less shiny black plastic.

I think you need to reread my post and reconsider your conclusion.

I value refinement. It's one of the main reasons I sold the WRX before I was originally intending to and got my SS. I sold my G20 because it got to be too unreliable, my LGT because I wanted to upgrade to a Spec.B, and my Spec.B because it needed a bunch of work and I was interested in the WRX. The WRX was the first car I've sold since my 1990 Legacy wagon because I didn't like actual design feature of the car.

You clearly stated, it was better in every objective way :p

It’s hard to find an interior in any car, subaru or not that is better than the 4th gen. Might not have been the best materials but it was easy on the eyes, ergonomically well designed and it was different from everything else made during it’s time.

5th genners wonder why 4th genners have this elitist mentality, it was just such a unique car that didn’t look like anything else in the road. From 2005-2009 there just weren’t any other cool cars in the same price range. Maybe the MS6 but it was slim pickens, then Subaru butchered the 5th gen.

Archived