LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy GT Thread

LegGTLT

I think the operative word here is that "key components" for the 2.4T engine will be manufactured at the Gunma Plant, but the engine will be assembled at SIA, similar to other Subaru engines going into the USDM models, where... "we added an assembly line".

Look at your typical Subaru EJ25, and the follow-on FB20B/D/X and FB25 and you'll see "Made in Japan" stamped on the block, but it was assembled at SIA.

Possibly, but the EZ36 is built at the Gunma Plant and shipped to SIA for install. But now with the elimination of the EZ36, production would switch to the FA24DIT.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Introducing everything at once is usually not a good idea because then you get all problems flowing in at once as a tsunami. Introducing things step by step is making more sense from the perspective of keeping an even workload in a company.
453747.png

Look for the 2.4T in 2020, especially after the Ascent launch - huge vehicle by Subaru's former standards - provides the proof of concept.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

It's too bad really. Although may be small, there's such a devoted Subaru market to be had in the U.S. With such Loyalty...If they stop making fun cars, there's plenty of other boring cars to buy in the U.S. Subaru announced they are dropping the XT from the Forester line. That will leave just the WRX/STi as the only turbo charged cars?

As we've heard many times in this thread...it really does appear Subaru doesn't give a shit. If Subaru doesn't release something that blows us away in 2019/2020 I don't think I'll be able to stay a Subaru owner. Can't tell you how many people I've come across who are like "OMG you have a Legacy GT!" The person I bought it from asks me about it all the time and it's been years.

Maybe it's just a climate thing. I'm in NY, people up here have every Subaru all over the place. I haven't spent a ton of time in warmer states, but I'd think AWD would matter a bit less which is certainly one of, if not the, main reason I love Subaru. Been in other AWD manufacturers, they suck in the snow in comparison. Audi has been the only one I've found comparable. Which is likely were I'm headed.

Only place I've heard or read there's a new Legacy GT coming is on this thread. I've heard just about everything else Subaru is doing. It's too bad, it was such a great car, I haven't bothered to look in to the 3.6R but, how or why is that better than the turbo 2.5?

Subaru seems committed to the CVT which in the WRX is annoying, it's literally too responsive lol. I'm sure they could design a CVT for a Legacy GT like they had to for the WRX. I feel like Subaru has an opportunity here in the next 2 years to either make or break it.

The 3.6R was probably more smooth, but I much prefer the torque punch of the 2.5 turbo. I think they should have differentiated them more. Having both 2.5 and 3.6 serving almost the same market is probably a factor in the LGT's demise.

Now that the 3.6 is going away, the new 2.4 should replace it for the top-of-the-line Legacy, and we'll all be happier (well, except for those wanting a manual - but maybe there's hope).

• I Donated

Subaru has specifically said they're abandoning manuals in the US market to push their EyeSight technology into all trim levels, and we should get used to the idea of CVTs as the exclusive transmission choice on Subarus.

Gross. :barf:

Some people in these threads act like Subaru built its reputation on performance, with the notchy truck like transmissions, failing turbos, rod knock, and ringland failure. Lol, I liked Subaru before I had one of their manuals and I will like their products after. The idea of building a safe and practical car for a reasonable price doesn't escape me.

• I Donated
Some people in these threads act like Subaru built its reputation on performance, with the notchy truck like transmissions, failing turbos, rod knock, and ringland failure. Lol, I liked Subaru before I had one of their manuals and I will like their products after. The idea of building a safe and practical car for a reasonable price doesn't escape me.

Subaru has had performance models with turbos since the early 80s. ;)

Subaru has had performance models with turbos since the early 80s. ;)

But it wasn't until the late 2000s that sales really started picking up, and that didn't have much to do with turbos or manuals.

Edit- Really the reputation was cemented on non-turbo wagons and cars with standard awd and great safety features. The performance models were just the icing. My favorite Subaru was my 03 forester X, if I had any sense I would still be driving that.

• I Donated
But it wasn't until the late 2000s that sales really started picking up, and that didn't have much to do with turbos or manuals.

Yeah, because they got rid of everything that people on here liked and started pandering to the least common denominator. :spin:

Yeah, because they got rid of everything that people on here liked and started pandering to the least common denominator. :spin:

And you speak for 90K plus users...when you get your head out of the sand and realize Subaru was never striving for performance as hard as they were for safety you will realize the death of the Manual trans was inevitable, it has been outdated. It is neither as fast nor as economical as an auto now is. :p

• I Donated
And you speak for 90K plus users...

Yes. Yes I do. :lol:

you will realize the death of the Manual trans was inevitable, it has been outdated. It is neither as fast nor as economical as an auto now is. :p

I mean, yes, but has anyone ever said, "I love driving my CVT!"?

I'll be the first to admit that manuals are no longer as fuel efficient or fast as the best autos (CVTs, BTW, are not "the best autos," but that's neither here nor there). And you can get similar amounts of control with manual modes on most autos, and autos provide better tie-in with most active-safety features. But manuals are still much more engaging to drive and more fun, and they give the driver a more direct connection to the mechanical aspects of the car.

So, to paraphrase Charleton Heston, you can have my manual when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. ;)

I mean, yes, but has anyone ever said, "I love driving my CVT!"?

Apparently hundreds of thousands of people every few years, cause Subaru is selling the mess out of them. And if you ever get out of the 4th gen forum you will realize that plenty of people like their cvt just fine.

I like my manual but I don't love it.:p

• I Donated
Apparently hundreds of thousands of people every few years, cause Subaru is selling the mess out of them. And if you ever get out of the 4th gen forum you will realize that plenty of people like their cvt just fine.

I'd venture to say that nobody has ever said, "I love my CVT!" It's the kind of transmission that's just... there. People may like the rest of the car, but nobody is buying a Subaru because they think the CVT is a good transmission. They're buying a Subaru, as you say, because of safety, AWD, value, reliability, resale value, whatever.

I really enjoy the CVT. It enhances the Cruising experience. I moved from sports cars with manuals years ago to Audi Cruisers. Decided I wanted Eyesight and never looked back.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I'd venture to say that nobody has ever said, "I love my CVT!" It's the kind of transmission that's just... there. People may like the rest of the car, but nobody is buying a Subaru because they think the CVT is a good transmission. They're buying a Subaru, as you say, because of safety, AWD, value, reliability, resale value, whatever.

I like the CVT a lot better than a stepped automatic gearbox.

453747.png

Archived