LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a high mileage 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

After all the questions and the drama, I was hoping you would buy this car, fix it up and ride off happily ever after. Are you going to let us down now over $200? :lol:

From what I've read the OP intends to purchase it tomorrow.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After all the questions and the drama, I was hoping you would buy this car, fix it up and ride off happily ever after. Are you going to let us down now over $200? :lol:

Yes Miles, after all the BS I dished out. It comes down to $200

I will have to address the is it a Cat issue or not and if it is $$$ and then new tires in the fall/next 3,000 miles or so.

Comes back to awesome car and rock solid. 196,300 miles and I have the coin, but more I think about it the more I see $$$ and the car as a whole.

I want the car and can afford the minor to major issue. Question is: Do I WANT to spend $3800+566 for fees and temp reg and another $400 for taxes and PA reg. $100-$200 to get in inspected. Address the P0420 issue and then tires a few months down the road....

KBB is $4,400 on the car private and $3,000+ on trade.....

Just Sayin'

Still SMH.......

Well much to my buddy's intense thoughts, I decided to not buy the car at $3,800. I called this past Saturday and said the math for the car did not make sense to me even though I really like the car.

Told my salesman that I would buy it for $3,500, maybe $3600. He put one of the sales manager's on the phone and said. We discounted and discounted and discounted and held the car for you (all true) $3,800 or it goes back in stock.

I thanked the guy and went about my Saturday. Well i missed the car back 20 minutes later and how the salesman, manager, and General Sales Manager met and the GSM said let it go for $3,600...When I called back after second missed call that afternoon, I was shocked as I had already decided to say shove the car you know where and now they pull me back in.....WTF(udge)

TBD tomorrow night after work

Well much to my buddy's intense thoughts, I decided to not buy the car at $3,800. I called this past Saturday and said the math for the car did not make sense to me even though I really like the car.

Told my salesman that I would buy it for $3,500, maybe $3600. He put one of the sales manager's on the phone and said. We discounted and discounted and discounted and held the car for you (all true) $3,800 or it goes back in stock.

I thanked the guy and went about my Saturday. Well i missed the car back 20 minutes later and how the salesman, manager, and General Sales Manager met and the GSM said let it go for $3,600...When I called back after second missed call that afternoon, I was shocked as I had already decided to say shove the car you know where and now they pull me back in.....WTF(udge)

TBD tomorrow night after work

I saw one discount from $5,495 to $5,300...a discount of $195...they weren't doing you any favors. Or are they referring to the drop from $5,300 to $3,800? I don't consider that a discount. That was an adjustment to bring the selling price inline with the "new" condition of the vehicle (i.e. the CEL being illuminated). No one in their right mind would have paid $5,300 for a vehicle with this type of problem.

A lot of arrogance from this dealer who is attempting to unload a car with a known problem. They should be thankful you're even considering it. You're assuming all the risk.

I saw one discount from $5,495 to $5,300...a discount of $195...they weren't doing you any favors. Or are they referring to the drop from $5,300 to $3,800? I don't consider that a discount. That was an adjustment to bring the selling price inline with the "new" condition of the vehicle (i.e. the CEL being illuminated). No one in their right mind would have paid $5,300 for a vehicle with this type of problem.

A lot of arrogance from this dealer who is attempting to unload a car with a known problem. They should be thankful you're even considering it. You're assuming all the risk.

Sunny: original ask: 5,495. First discount: down to 5,399. That's bs. Second discount: 5,200. CEL discount:4,700. Next discount due to code:$3;800. Discount as if this Saturday when I said too much based on the risk: $3,600

No more juice to squeeze out of this lemon. Both Subaru dealerships where car got serviced speak high praise of the car and detailed ownership. And yes I acknowledge the risk. If I do nothing else but sticker it tires and inspection. It's a lot of car but the cat could be the downfall of an otherwise well kept Subaru

Sunny: original ask: 5,495. First discount: down to 5,399. That's bs. Second discount: 5,200. CEL discount:4,700. Next discount due to code:$3;800. Discount as if this Saturday when I said too much based on the risk: $3,600

No more juice to squeeze out of this lemon. Both Subaru dealerships where car got serviced speak high praise of the car and detailed ownership. And yes I acknowledge the risk. If I do nothing else but sticker it tires and inspection. It's a lot of car but the cat could be the downfall of an otherwise well kept Subaru

Here's how I look at it: What is the worst case scenario? Replace the cats? How much do new cats cost? Is it less than the difference between $5,200 and $3,600? If so you're ahead. Is it the same? You haven't lost anything. Is it more? Depending on the amount it still might be reasonable (after all a few hundred in repair / maintenance is not unusual for a used vehicle with that amount of mileage). Unless they're prohibitively expensive or there's a lot of other repairs it's likely, for a price of $3,600, not that risky of a purchase.

Here's how I look at it: What is the worst case scenario? Replace the cats? How much do new cats cost? Is it less than the difference between $5,200 and $3,600? If so you're ahead. Is it the same? You haven't lost anything. Is it more? Depending on the amount it still might be reasonable (after all a few hundred in repair / maintenance is not unusual for a used vehicle with that amount of mileage). Unless they're prohibitively expensive or there's a lot of other repairs it's likely, for a price of $3,600, not that risky of a purchase.

Thanks for the feedback Sunny....

If all goes well, this is will be in my driveway tonight:

http://www.hondaofhackettstown.com/used/Subaru/2009-Subaru-Legacy-a28f4ee50a0e0ae7513b8f8517c9fb8b.htm

So should we call now and offer asking price just to mess with you?

:hide:

I just sent an email with an offer for the listed price.

They just need to cash the 10K check from my uncle in Nigeria and send me the car plus the difference over to me. :hide:

---

$5900 out the door is a lot. Maybe try to buy this guy's? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5648593

Same color, far less miles, good mods. Newer tires.

I'm still thinking about selling mine! :spin: Car now has close to 130k on it. I want to unload it by fall.

Just ordered parts to redo the cooling system (hoses, thermostat, rad cap, and the infamous rusted metal pipes). Nothing wrong with the current, just due for good preventative maintenance. Car needs nothing else. I'm anal as hell usually replacing stuff far before it's due. My wife and friends pick on me constantly about that...

I also forgot to mention that it has an OEM hitch on it. I also have a spare set of OEM 07LGT wheels with snowtires on them(about one season left), a used mid-pipe in good shape, spare set of front rotors that need to be turned and matching Hawk pads with 70% remaining, and a bunch of various body clips, hardware, etc. Oh and a Tactrix cable that the freeSSM software can be used with a laptop to read and reset codes. :lol:

I'm still thinking about selling mine! :spin: Car now has close to 130k on it. I want to unload it by fall.

Just ordered parts to redo the cooling system (hoses, thermostat, rad cap, and the infamous rusted metal pipes). Nothing wrong with the current, just due for good preventative maintenance. Car needs nothing else. I'm anal as hell usually replacing stuff far before it's due. My wife and friends pick on me constantly about that...

I also forgot to mention that it has an OEM hitch on it. I also have a spare set of OEM 07LGT wheels with snowtires on them(about one season left), a used mid-pipe in good shape, spare set of front rotors that need to be turned and matching Hawk pads with 70% remaining, and a bunch of various body clips, hardware, etc. Oh and a Tactrix cable that the freeSSM software can be used with a laptop to read and reset codes. :lol:

Can I buy your car for $3,600 plus TTL?

FYI, my '09 Outback 3.0Rs radiator busted a couple weeks back at 117k miles. The tranny cooler portion blew open into the coolant, and pumped 10 quarts of tranny fluid into the cooling system. It was a ridiculously huge mess to clean out. My friends '05 3.0R did the same thing a few months ago and cost him $1.5k at the dealer. The integrated radiator/tranny coolers on these cars seem prone to failure. For $240 extra, you may want to put in a new OEM radiator along with the other cooling system stuff you're doing. The cheapest place for the Subaru radiator that I found was here: https://www.generalmotorspartsonline.com/oe-subaru/45111ag04a?origin=pla

Thanks Dispatch- I am still mulling it over. That other 3.0R could be an option, but time off to fly out to buy it and cost to drive it home, might as well buy the car an hour away from me....

Figure 850 miles at 26/27mpg and $2.75 per gallon = ~$90 in gas. One way plane ticket is less than $150

I would even pick you up from the airport (ORD or MKE) with a full tank of gas! :lol:

In all fairness, you are paying $3,600 + $500 = $4100 for the car from the dealership. Calling it $3600 is just buying into the sales tactic with doc fees.

ouch....it would cost $500 between taxes and reg and a new plate for any car at that price

I'm not nor ever buying into stealership tactics

FYI, my '09 Outback 3.0Rs radiator busted a couple weeks back at 117k miles. The tranny cooler portion blew open into the coolant, and pumped 10 quarts of tranny fluid into the cooling system. It was a ridiculously huge mess to clean out. My friends '05 3.0R did the same thing a few months ago and cost him $1.5k at the dealer. The integrated radiator/tranny coolers on these cars seem prone to failure. For $240 extra, you may want to put in a new OEM radiator along with the other cooling system stuff you're doing. The cheapest place for the Subaru radiator that I found was here: https://www.generalmotorspartsonline.com/oe-subaru/45111ag04a?origin=pla

Good to know! Thanks! Did you look into a Denso or KoyoRad? They seem much cheaper for an OEM replacement. I believe they are both OEM suppliers.

ouch....it would cost $500 between taxes and reg and a new plate for any car at that price

I'm not nor ever buying into stealership tactics

Maybe I have this wrong?

I thought the 3.0R you are buying is $3600 + $499 dealership "doc" fee that won't be waived + TTL. So basically $3600 + $499 + $500 in total.

So it's a $4100 car plus $500 in TTL, right?

Good to know! Thanks! Did you look into a Denso or KoyoRad? They seem much cheaper for an OEM replacement. I believe they are both OEM suppliers.

I did buy a TYC for $86 for my beater 3.0R sedan. I replaced that radiator proactively. The plastic top and bottom mold components seemed 100% identical to the original Denso labeled OEM one. I did consider Koyo, but it was almost twice the cost at the TYC. And A Koyo at $140 vs Subaru OEM for only $100 more....I went with OEM. It's probably unnecessary, though.

If I was buying a 200k 3.0R, (or 5EAT GT) with an original radiator, I'd proactively replace the radiator. Or I'd install an aftermarket tranny cooler. These things are time bombs, in my opinion.

7e7c4d2ede7e554842190652a680b134.jpg22d94c8a829af04d654939b5718aaf14.jpg

Maybe I have this wrong?

I thought the 3.0R you are buying is $3600 + $499 dealership "doc" fee that won't be waived + TTL. So basically $3600 + $499 + $500 in total.

So it's a $4100 car plus $500 in TTL, right?

No you are correct....$3,600+499

I meant if I go and buy any car. the TTL add up close to this BS doc fee

Archived