LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a high mileage 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

You keep on bringing up your X5 purchase. Once again it is a different product being sold. I am not sure if you bought it new or used, but it is a bigger money transaction where there is more wiggle room.

I brought it up as it was my most recent purchase but the same song and dance has happened with all my vehicle purchases.

There was one time where I did not ask for a discount on the price to cover the dealer fees. It was the purchase of a 1988 Fiero GT. Dealer was asking $12K for it, I offered $7K. Salesman went to present the offer to the used care manager and they came back and said "This is our offer and it is our final offer. We're not going to engage in the back and forth BS so take it or leave it. The offer $7,900 considerably less than what I was willing to negotiate up on. Dealer fee was $179. Given how much they had come down on the price I jumped on the deal. As I said...I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

BTW the X5 was a used purchase. Given the little driving I do buying new is a waste of money.

The problem I see is that a lot of people automatically think the dealership is always out to steal your hard earned money. So what if the car is $4100. Is that a horrible price for the product? Comparing it to other cars in the area I think not. People suggest for the OP to travel, but how much is his time worth?

I don't think the dealer is out to steal my money. I just don't like fees as I feel they're deceptive. They lead people to think they're getting a better price than they are. All else being equal which car would you buy:

• The vehicle for $3,600
  • The vehicle for $4,100

Fact is they're the same. The first is without the fee whereas the second has the fee built in. It's deceptive (I'm not saying illegal). It's sort of like gas prices. Every time I hear someone talk about the price they paid for gas guess what they say? Things like:

I paid $2.12 / gallon or $3.34 / gallon. When in reality it would be more accurate to say $2.13 / gallon or $3.35 / gallon because of the price is really $2.129 / gallon and $3.349 / gallon. Yet I've never heard of anyone stating the actual or rounded up price. They always drop the tenths of a cent. Does this amount to much? No but it just goes to show how these tactics work.

In the end only the OP knows what he wants, but if the cat at hand is really what he wants then a doc fee should not be the deciding factor.

Agreed. Which is why I said he shouldn't cut off his nose to spite his face. However, and maybe I'm mistaken in this, the discussion initially centered around a price of $3,600 and not the actual price of $4,100. This is the trick the fee is playing. Everyone is thinking "Yeah, it's worth the risk at $3,600". But it's not really $3,600...it's $4,100. At which point people may be thinking "No, it's not worth the risk at $4,100". The OP may not feel it's worth $4,100 but is at $3,600. Unless he can get them to waive the fee or discount the car by the fee amount he can't buy it for $3,600.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, even though I did all the research and beat up the salesman and his managers to get my price, if I feel the doc fee is fishy and yes my bad for not addressing that head on and NOT the CEL as the reason I decided not to buy the car, at 14% added on that cannot be properly explained to me, why should I buy the car, just because I got my price and to save face, perhaps, but my decision i'll have to be confident in.

Then I was misunderstanding and I would have to side with laz on this. If you feel the price, with the fees, is fair then buy it. It would be foolish not to (all else being equal).

Archived