LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a high mileage 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

Hello Folks- My name is Drew and I am looking to upgrade from my current DD: 2003 Toyota Camry SE 5MT with 256,000 miles. It is a great car and does everything well, but does not have a lot of creature comfort options or sex appeal. It is functional and efficient.

My wife and I already own 2 Subaru Outbacks: 2015 Premium (22,700 miles) and a 2002 Outback Limited (125,000). I am decent at working on my own cars here and there and love our Subaru's. Before the 2015 Outback, my wife had a 2011 which we recently traded for the 2015. The 2011 had 159,200 miles when we traded it in and ran like a champ.

Anyway on the the topic. I stumbled across a 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited (1 owner with 65 records of service history from the carfax). Of the 65 services records, the car has been serviced at local Subaru dealerships 60 times since 2008 and it would appear whatever the car needed, it got. All the minor to major service intervals as well as the expected oil changes every 3,000 miles.

The car is clean and fully loaded including NAV, HK audio, and a rear wing. It is black with black leather and is extremely clean. The kicker is the mileage....196,300. I know the 3.0 6 cylinders have a timing chain, so no worries regarding replacing a timing belt.

Just wondering what sort of life I can expect out of the car with the mileage. Obviously it is not a Toyota or Honda, but well-cared for 1 owner car's do not scare me either. The dealership is asking $5,495 and I was thinking about offering on Monday cash and starting at $4,000 and seeing how close to I get it without going over $4,500, knowing its needs a PA inspection being a NJ registered car right now.

Am I being to optimistic on the possible purchase price based on the condition and mileage and service history knowing this is a high-end model back in the day?

Kind thoughts and advice welcome.

Thank you,

Drew

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to ask people over on the subaruoutback.org forum, a lot of them have experience with that powertrain at high mileage. The 3.0 H6 with VDC is a nice combo and Subaru doesn't make anything like it any more.

It's great you have service records. The car is high mileage but given the age most of those are probably highway miles, which are the easiest kind of miles.

But you don't say what has been repaired. The owner, who has been that diligent with maintenance, is selling the car now? It would be good to find out why. Maybe there is an expensive repair to be done soon.

It's true the H6 is a good engine, but it is not maintenance-free and it is expensive to repair. The water pump is chain-driven, the timing chain guides do wear out, the head gaskets do fail at some point. Wheel bearings and CV joints wear out. Shocks wear out. So, FWIW, I would check to see if some of these more expensive repairs have been done.

If you are lucky, this might be a 300K mile car. Less lucky, and you will be making a lot of expensive repairs on a car with an uncertain future.

You might want to ask people over on the subaruoutback.org forum, a lot of them have experience with that powertrain at high mileage. The 3.0 H6 with VDC is a nice combo and Subaru doesn't make anything like it any more.

It's great you have service records. The car is high mileage but given the age most of those are probably highway miles, which are the easiest kind of miles.

But you don't say what has been repaired. The owner, who has been that diligent with maintenance, is selling the car now? It would be good to find out why. Maybe there is an expensive repair to be done soon.

It's true the H6 is a good engine, but it is not maintenance-free and it is expensive to repair. The water pump is chain-driven, the timing chain guides do wear out, the head gaskets do fail at some point. Wheel bearings and CV joints wear out. Shocks wear out. So, FWIW, I would check to see if some of these more expensive repairs have been done.

If you are lucky, this might be a 300K mile car. Less lucky, and you will be making a lot of expensive repairs on a car with an uncertain future.

Hey Miles- Thank you for the response. The drive belts were replaced at 95,000 and 192,000 miles respectively. The car has had the sway bar links replaced at 168,000 miles. Fuel injection serviced regularly. 120,000 and 150,000 mile service, etc...Differential fluids flushed and filled. Brakes, battery, tires, replaced...

The car is being sold at a Honda dealership as it was a new car trade. I am hoping to leave a deposit and take the car to my Subaru dealership for a once over and go from there.

I recently got my 05 with 204K miles that lived in NY for a lot of its life. Plan on replacing control arm bushings at least. The whole front of mine was original rubber and it was all done for.

Good to know. Might also call the Subaru dealer Monday and see if I can get a actual breakdown of the last 2-3 years of service history.

Good to know. Might also call the Subaru dealer Monday and see if I can get a actual breakdown of the last 2-3 years of service history.

The best thing to do. Not to be mistaken for the only thing to do.

The best thing to do. Not to be mistaken for the only thing to do.

Hey Merc6- what else would you suggest to do prior to purchasing the car? They are a Honda dealer and while they might understand what the car is, it is still a non-Honda at $5,495 asking price and might not give a lot a latitude to do much more than getting my Subaru dealership to look at it.

I feel I am a pretty good car guy and can fix most things and have a feel for a car, so it might come down to my gut and what I can see with the naked eye and my service department at the Subaru dealership i use.

Hey Merc6- what else would you suggest to do prior to purchasing the car? They are a Honda dealer and while they might understand what the car is, it is still a non-Honda at $5,495 asking price and might not give a lot a latitude to do much more than getting my Subaru dealership to look at it.

I feel I am a pretty good car guy and can fix most things and have a feel for a car, so it might come down to my gut and what I can see with the naked eye and my service department at the Subaru dealership i use.

Most the stuff up top has been said. Check the windshield for cracks as the heated wipers will make them worse. Normally they fix those things but I seen some places that will be like it's only a star at like less than X size and will leave it. I know this as my car(not the subaru you looking at, lol) had a small chip and it was sold w/o fixing it from a Honda dealer. You know the internet is small when the guy who was looking at my old car popped up on me and I said "don't" and "he did" anyways.

Most the stuff up top has been said. Check the windshield for cracks as the heated wipers will make them worse. Normally they fix those things but I seen some places that will be like it's only a star at like less than X size and will leave it. I know this as my car(not the subaru you looking at, lol) had a small chip and it was sold w/o fixing it from a Honda dealer. You know the internet is small when the guy who was looking at my old car popped up on me and I said "don't" and "he did" anyways.

Heard, Understood, Acknowledged!

So I decided to drive out and take a look at the Subaru Legacy 3.0R this afternoon. Here are some observations:

1) Clean body and paint. No obvious dings or dent to the eye.

2) Interior is near mint, minus the broken fabric strap on the driver's

3) Will need a set of tires

4) Rims are ok. A little curb rash here and there.

5) Engine bay is spotless.

6) The front axle boots are in great shape and not turn

7) The Obsidian Black Metallic paint could stand a clay and solid hand wax and perhaps a professional detailing to bring the paint back to life and take care of some scratches.

8) The front airdam is intact and that area and the bumper and hood are free of any real paint chips for the 196,xxx miles the car has seen.

I could see myself in this car. Needs $600 in tires and figure $75 for state inspection and emissions, and another $125-$200 for whatever comes up for inspection and $200 for a professional exterior detailing.

I really would be surprised if they gave more than $3,200-$3,500 for the car....Still could be worth pursuing. Here are some pictures of the car I snapped from my visit....

422912975_unnamed(14).thumb.jpg.5e3bb9f9e31487485b4c22a85bde393a.jpg

1862618512_unnamed(15).thumb.jpg.80979790b60b1292f876daf8c62d1938.jpg

1114967781_unnamed(18).thumb.jpg.b7d760a89f463b6a0007f6082a395ed3.jpg

1306730314_unnamed(19).thumb.jpg.fb50f4fd3c85ec6d19d9a8a804304abb.jpg

433886015_unnamed(16).thumb.jpg.52457ce08d9e40f2a23400c3b0cb89e8.jpg

1468010177_unnamed(17).thumb.jpg.0ff79a932691c8aa188a308882e55bea.jpg

1585044037_unnamed(20).thumb.jpg.715859eb1a93973e81229dcf40c2bc76.jpg

unnamed.thumb.jpg.e23fe18c3bea81986ff68ce42d0cc9d6.jpg

1860741559_unnamed(13).thumb.jpg.920b935cc05334d69c85489c7c624408.jpg

1575001114_unnamed(8).thumb.jpg.8552a71e0b19ac72fca3d9d2b9085740.jpg

That's a nice looking vehicle! Yeah I guess if you're okay dealing with small things try to think of the worst case scenarios and have those looked into by another dealer/shop. Head gasket leaks, transmission bearings, clutch... Great looking car though and no turbo grenade buried under the hood to blow it up.

That's a nice looking vehicle! Yeah I guess if you're okay dealing with small things try to think of the worst case scenarios and have those looked into by another dealer/shop. Head gasket leaks, transmission bearings, clutch... Great looking car though and no turbo grenade buried under the hood to blow it up.

Definitely a solid car for the mileage, but not sure I would go more than $4,500 for this guy if it need $1,000 of TLC....

Definitely a solid car for the mileage, but not sure I would go more than $4,500 for this guy if it need $1,000 of TLC....

The feels, every last one of them. Wish my car was in that good of condition underneath.

Idler pulley bearings can be an issue along with one of the coolant pipes under the engine. That my rust and start to leak. Along with that it will likely have the other 4th gen issues like LCA bushings wearing out.

Idler pulley bearings can be an issue along with one of the coolant pipes under the engine. That my rust and start to leak. Along with that it will likely have the other 4th gen issues like LCA bushings wearing out.

98- Is this based on experience or based on mileage and/or the pictures of this 3.0R?

I called the Subaru dealer this car has been serviced at for the last 2 years and 60,000 miles and the service adviser spoke well of the owner add the maintenance of the car. It got whatever it needed and it was serviced very diligently.

Also spoke with the dealer selling the Subaru and there are running it through the shop, but seemed to balk at thinking they should discount the car and that they only have a few hundred dollars of profit into it.

Waiting to hear back from the sales and the shop and if they will re-consider their evaluation of the car's value.

Being a dealer, I would bet they didn't pay more than 2k for it. Probably paid in the high 1,000s. Anything with that many miles instantly is worth almost nothing to a dealer. If it were carmax - they'd probably pay about $350, lol

98- Is this based on experience or based on mileage and/or the pictures of this 3.0R?

I called the Subaru dealer this car has been serviced at for the last 2 years and 60,000 miles and the service adviser spoke well of the owner add the maintenance of the car. It got whatever it needed and it was serviced very diligently.

Its based on issues I have seen other people with 3.0Rs have. I already had to replace the LCA bushings and ball joints on mine at 85K. I just replace both LCAs with new aluminium ones that came with bushings and ball joints. My friend had to do the same on his 3.0R along with the idler pulley bearings.

I don't consider these issues to be deal breakers. If something happened to my car I would highly consider another Legacy or Outback 3.0R.

So I just got back from the dealership after a test drive of the Subaru. It is fast, smooth, tight, and quiet engine and transmission. Everything works and the car shows its 60 Subaru service appointments and the care of the previous and only owner.

I offered the dealership $4,500 and they came down to $5,300. Not sure I'd go that high considering it'll be $600 for their fees and another $300 to pay the taxes once I register it in PA.

I think I'd go as high as $4,800 for the car, but it is as advertised. Would I be over-paying for the car?????

I have an 08 3.0r and love it. I purchased it used with 38000 miles 5 years ago. It now has 125000 miles on it and the wife took it over as her daily driver since...well...she really wanted it. It was a battle I lost but I ended up with a new car so I can't complain. Either way, the car has been excellent. I have had to replace an axel once, the serpentine belt tensioner and the A/C compressor. Other than that and the usually brakes/oil changes its been great. The only weird 'quark' it has is the entertainment system (not the navigation) sometimes flashes on and off but a firm tap on the side and a Fonzerelli "EEEYYY" usually fixes it. The old man down the street has 280000 on his 3.0r and he hasn't done anything to the engine other than a oil pan gasket needing replaced. He said it was $300 at the dealer to repair, so not to bad. The later models like your '09 worked out the issues with the timing chain tensioners. Just make sure the oil is changed between 3000k and 3500k and you'll be fine. Also check the oil about 2000k in as you will likely burn a little.

Cheers!

I have an 08 3.0r and love it. I purchased it used with 38000 miles 5 years ago. It now has 125000 miles on it and the wife took it over as her daily driver since...well...she really wanted it. It was a battle I lost but I ended up with a new car so I can't complain. Either way, the car has been excellent. I have had to replace an axel once, the serpentine belt tensioner and the A/C compressor. Other than that and the usually brakes/oil changes its been great. The only weird 'quark' it has is the entertainment system (not the navigation) sometimes flashes on and off but a firm tap on the side and a Fonzerelli "EEEYYY" usually fixes it. The old man down the street has 280000 on his 3.0r and he hasn't done anything to the engine other than a oil pan gasket needing replaced. He said it was $300 at the dealer to repair, so not to bad. The later models like your '09 worked out the issues with the timing chain tensioners. Just make sure the oil is changed between 3000k and 3500k and you'll be fine. Also check the oil about 2000k in as you will likely burn a little.

Cheers!

Hey Mazda- The oil has been diligently changed every 3,750 miles.

Getting pretty hard to walk away from the car, but it will pass PA inspection without needing brakes or tires as brakes are 5/16 and 3 of the 4 tires are 4/32 and 1 tire is 3/32 and passing in PA is 2/32.

Probably need to put new tires on the car come fall/winter for $700, so that is the only major expense I foresee at this time.

Hey Mazda- The oil has been diligently changed every 3,750 miles.

Getting pretty hard to walk away from the car, but it will pass PA inspection without needing brakes or tires as brakes are 5/16 and 3 of the 4 tires are 4/32 and 1 tire is 3/32 and passing in PA is 2/32.

Probably need to put new tires on the car come fall/winter for $700, so that is the only major expense I foresee at this time.

If they are not willing to go down in price see if they are willing to throw in a set of tires then. I find it easier to negotiate extras more then lowering the price. When you lower the price you take away from their paycheck so they usually bank on the next guy so they can make their % commission. I find it easier to get them to throw in a warranty or tires or some other expense that would cost me $700-$1000 but probably costs them $250 in overhead.

Good luck. I miss the car, I got an ST out of the deal which is a ton of fun to drive but I am getting old and the smoothness of that 3.0R makes me jealous of my wife. In fact I drove the Legacy to the park today just to remind myself how awesome it is. Winter time...this car is a dream.

$700 for tires? If I were you, I'd buy the car at $5300, and buy a decent set of tires at Discount Tire Direct with free shipping for $300 after rebates. (215 45 18 Kuhmo Ecsta). So you'd be down to $380 total mounted for tires. Decent Cooper tires in that size are $248 shipped after rebates.

$700 for tires? If I were you, I'd buy the car at $5300, and buy a decent set of tires at Discount Tire Direct with free shipping for $300 after rebates. (215 45 18 Kuhmo Ecsta). So you'd be down to $380 total mounted for tires. Decent Cooper tires in that size are $248 shipped after rebates.

I was looking at BF Goodrich and Continental tires on tire rack for $450(ish) plus shipping to get to $500(ish) and $100 for mounting and balancing at the dealer and $80 for an alignment.

I'll definitely consider DTD and save $100 dollars, still get the same VISA card rebate from them like Tirerack....

Archived