LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a high mileage 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

...Leaning towards buying at $3,600...
You did say you like to work on cars. :)

Anyway, see what you can find at a local muffler shop to fix up your exhaust system. Dealer prices for OEM exhaust parts are enough to make you cry (or laugh hysterically).

PS A clogged cat can be very harmful to the engine. It can lead to overheating, head warping, etc. so don't just let it go if that is the issue.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I'm not buying a car knowing something is wrong with it. Seems like you want this car no matter what. If your good on working on the car yourself then have at it.

I want the car at the best price for what it needs.

I would have rather told the dealer to fix the issue first and give me a warranty/guarantee on that specific code and buy it for close to the asking before. They might have lowered the price a lot but some deals aren't good enough to buy in to, unless you have a few grand to track down the issues yourself.

There are 3 cats on that car. One in each header and one at the y pipe after the headers. I would tell them to replace all that or come down even more on the price so you can replace it.

An $1,800 drop in price since you first spoke with them almost covers the repair if it were done at the dealer. If you haven't bought it yet see if you can get the fee waived as well.

They wont waive the doc fee....

I would have rather told the dealer to fix the issue first and give me a warranty/guarantee on that specific code and buy it for close to the asking before. They might have lowered the price a lot but some deals aren't good enough to buy in to, unless you have a few grand to track down the issues yourself.

What was already said. A Honda dealership will not spend $2-3,000, if it indeed the Cats on a Subaru and try to get all their money back. They took it in a $4,600 and now they do not want the headache and just rather take a loss and let someone like me, deal with the issues, be it severe or minor as most people think it is worst case scenario.

Ideally the car is a gamble, true, however a lot of car for $3,600-$3,800.

And even if the car was cherry, if lucky, they give a 30 day 1,000 mile warranty. If you aren't a car person and/or a Subaru person knowing the durability of the 3.0 and 5AT, plus the service history I know now about the car, then yes walk away.

The beauty is, if it is a worst case issue, I can take my time and address it slowly and having another car to drive take care of the issue when I can.

And yes, I do have the resources to buy this car or most any new or used car that I wanted, just looking for something fun, sporty, and been taken care of.

There are 3 cats on that car. One in each header and one at the y pipe after the headers. I would tell them to replace all that or come down even more on the price so you can replace it.

They won't budge off the price they gave me. An $800 loss and being hosed by the owner who traded it in, they are not a charity or NPO.

I have to feel comfortable and confident in the price and what the car is. Show me where you can buy this car at the price given where all guessing at the issue?

Yes, it could be the Cat or Cats or 02 sensor, or insert broken item here.....

Did you buy it?

I called the dealer at 3PM to let the salesman know I was coming to buy the car and that I would be there at 4:30pm. The car is located 52 miles away from my house. Got there at 4:30pm and the salesman got me the cars for a drive as he had another client.

I go over the car, take it for a spin, walk around it some more, pop the hood and examine as much as I can with the naked eye and removing the black plastic shroud. Got back to the dealership and it is 5:15pm and my salesman, honestly a gem of a guy, is still working with these same older couple.I have my wife and 4 YO with me and the car is going in both our names, she her presence is needed.

Waiting some more and 5:45pm rolls around and with the dealership closing at 6pm and my 80 minute commute home and not having eaten dinner yet, I say I gotta go and do not want to stalk this poor fellow and hang around while he ha another client and it is near closing time. I informed him I still want the car and will be back to buy the car. Just have to decide when that is. Tomorrow or Tuesday, Thursday at the latest as I work 30 miles in the opposite direction and cannot drive 2 cars home

First world problems

#TheStruggleIsReal!

and there was no other salesman to take care of you? What type of Mickey Mouse operation do they have at that dealership! most of the paperwork is taken care by the finance officer unless it is a really small dealership, and even then they have staff to take care of the sale transaction.
---

and there was no other salesman to take care of you? What type of Mickey Mouse operation do they have at that dealership! most of the paperwork is taken care by the finance officer unless it is a really small dealership, and even then they have staff to take care of the sale transaction.

They know I am working with a specific person, but not even the manager came over to say anything. And to be honest I have a re pore with my guy. He gets me and knows i'm a real and honest and buyer....

I called the dealer at 3PM to let the salesman know I was coming to buy the car and that I would be there at 4:30pm. The car is located 52 miles away from my house. Got there at 4:30pm and the salesman got me the cars for a drive as he had another client.

I go over the car, take it for a spin, walk around it some more, pop the hood and examine as much as I can with the naked eye and removing the black plastic shroud. Got back to the dealership and it is 5:15pm and my salesman, honestly a gem of a guy, is still working with these same older couple.I have my wife and 4 YO with me and the car is going in both our names, she her presence is needed.

Waiting some more and 5:45pm rolls around and with the dealership closing at 6pm and my 80 minute commute home and not having eaten dinner yet, I say I gotta go and do not want to stalk this poor fellow and hang around while he ha another client and it is near closing time. I informed him I still want the car and will be back to buy the car. Just have to decide when that is. Tomorrow or Tuesday, Thursday at the latest as I work 30 miles in the opposite direction and cannot drive 2 cars home

First world problems

#TheStruggleIsReal!

I'm surprised that, given you let them know in advance you were on your way, that he wasn't available to help you. Oh well, as you said, first world problems.

Sounds as if you're set on getting it. Keep us informed. Interested to find out if this CEL got you a big discount (by being a simple repair) or will cost you.

I'm surprised that, given you let them know in advance you were on your way, that he wasn't available to help you. Oh well, as you said, first world problems.

Sounds as if you're set on getting it. Keep us informed. Interested to find out if this CEL got you a big discount (by being a simple repair) or will cost you.

Hey Sunny- thanks for the feedback, et.al

I know it is my decision at the end of the day and will need to deal with whatever the outcome is on the purchase, but if I don't buy it who does? Does it go to auction and some used-car CL douche sell it hiding the issue for a premium price to some unsuspecting person....

The car was dealer serviced regularly and i mean regularly for everything....

It just had the following service performed in May 11, 2017 at 193,xxx

Maintenance inspection completed

120,000 mile service performed

Drive belt(s) replaced

Fuel injection system flushed/service

That had to cost the guy close to a $1,000 if not a bit more knowing that the 120k service is $800

Hey Sunny- thanks for the feedback, et.al

I know it is my decision at the end of the day and will need to deal with whatever the outcome is on the purchase, but if I don't buy it who does? Does it go to auction and some used-car CL douche sell it hiding the issue for a premium price to some unsuspecting person....

The car was dealer serviced regularly and i mean regularly for everything....

It just had the following service performed in May 11, 2017 at 193,xxx

Maintenance inspection completed

120,000 mile service performed

Drive belt(s) replaced

Fuel injection system flushed/service

That had to cost the guy close to a $1,000 if not a bit more knowing that the 120k service is $800

I'm interested in what the repair ends up being. The CEL illuminating may end up saving you some money if the repair ends up being inexpensive. With the discount you're receiving even a $1,500 repair would save you some money.

I would push them on the doc fee. I understand they may not waive it (I've never seen them do so when I've purchased a vehicle) but they can discount the price by a corresponding amount. I'd do so given that you made a trip there and spent an hour or two and left empty handed. Your time has got to be worth something. Even if they don't discount all of it they should do some. Sending it to auction isn't going to get them that fee so what have they got to lose by showing a little goodwill?

People forget that car dealers is a business. They already discounted it a lot because of the CEL. Asking for more discounts is almost robbery. They have to make some money as well. It is not like the are taking his money in return of nothing. Just make an appointment and buy it from whomever helps you out. Believe me no one is making a lot of money on this sale, so no one is going to be upset about you not using the dude who you was originally helping you out.

As soon as the car is gone from their lot you will be a distant memory if not completely forgotten right away. Stop thinking about it so much.

---

People forget that car dealers is a business. They already discounted it a lot because of the CEL. Asking for more discounts is almost robbery. They have to make some money as well. It is not like the are taking his money in return of nothing. Just make an appointment and buy it from whomever helps you out. Believe me no one is making a lot of money on this sale, so no one is going to be upset about you not using the dude who you was originally helping you out.

As soon as the car is gone from their lot you will be a distant memory if not completely forgotten right away. Stop thinking about it so much.

IMO fees are extra money in the dealers pocket. Waiving them, or asking for a corresponding discount on the price if they cannot be waived, is not unreasonable.

Almost every purchase I've made from a dealer includes a "Dealer preparation and handling" fee. A fee based solely to pad the dealers pocket. I refuse to pay it. When I'm told they cannot waive it I insist they discount the vehicle price accordingly. It's a pet peeve of mine. One dealer asked if I was willing to forego the purchase of my X5 due to the $499 dealer prep and handling fee. My response to him: Are you? Needless to say I came home with the X5 :-)

IMO fees are extra money in the dealers pocket. Waiving them, or asking for a corresponding discount on the price if they cannot be waived, is not unreasonable.

Almost every purchase I've made from a dealer includes a "Dealer preparation and handling" fee. A fee based solely to pad the dealers pocket. I refuse to pay it. When I'm told they cannot waive it I insist they discount the vehicle price accordingly. It's a pet peeve of mine. One dealer asked if I was willing to forego the purchase of my X5 due to the $499 dealer prep and handling fee. My response to him: Are you? Needless to say I came home with the X5 :-)

That is a brand new BMW X5 that we are talking about. Believe me, you paid that fee one way or another, it was just not a line item on your invoice. Do you think it is fair asking them to work for free? Would you work for free? I know I would not.

This is a 2009 Subaru used car in a Honda dealer used car lot.

It all comes down to what the OP wants to pay, but a DOC fee is still a documentation fee. Even if he is not registering the car in that state they still need to create documentation for title transfer and a few other things.

If I was the used car manager on that dealership I would have sent that car to auction a long time ago. Too much hassle for a few hundred bucks worth of profit.

---

Archived