LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

The ivory leather (?) ish pieces under the dashboard and under the door handles are... interesting on the Touring. I like that they match on the limited with your interior option. I suppose I have to figure out if I can get away with 7 seats vs. 8 and if the ventilated seats are worth the weird leather trim piece in the touring...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also shots of the Limited interior would be cool to look at also.

I'll ask my older son, me thinks he shot a lot of interior pics.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I'd say the grand slam is hit once I see that this 2.4 DIT engine is indeed reliable and that CVT can really handle that 5k lbs towing capacity :spin:

Yeah, that's the biggest unknown to me.

Anyone know if the DI can use some type of CRC/Spray cleaner in lieu of the walnut/media blasting every 30k miles? I know Subaru has a few products they use in the Australian market with their DI petrol engines, but I can't seem to find them at present. Nor a part number. Nor distrubution. But this shouldn't be rocket science since we have it in the FA20DIT already.

People on the Honda forums are ignorant. My Honda Pilot has DI in the EarthDreams engine, and they're just saying to run TopTier gasoline in it. I'm sure that helps, but it won't clean the back side of the valves.

Also any idea on oil requirement for Ascent? Thinking 5w30. On sale for $24 for 5 quart jug with $10 MIR for PP :)

Edited by Pilot1226

Anyone know if the DI can use some type of CRC/Spray cleaner in lieu of the walnut/media blasting every 30k miles? I know Subaru has a few products they use in the Australian market with their DI petrol engines, but I can't seem to find them at present. Nor a part number. Nor distrubution. But this shouldn't be rocket science since we have it in the FA20DIT already.

People on the Honda forums are ignorant. My Honda Pilot has DI in the EarthDreams engine, and they're just saying to run TopTier gasoline in it. I'm sure that helps, but it won't clean the back side of the valves.

Also any idea on oil requirement for Ascent? Thinking 5w30. On sale for $24 for 5 quart jug with $10 MIR for PP :)

From the earlier pics, the yellow filler cap said "___W20" (couldn't see the first number). With the quoted mileage, I'm betting 0W20.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=261801&d=1518370955

Anyone know if the DI can use some type of CRC/Spray cleaner in lieu of the walnut/media blasting every 30k miles? I know Subaru has a few products they use in the Australian market with their DI petrol engines, but I can't seem to find them at present. Nor a part number. Nor distrubution. But this shouldn't be rocket science since we have it in the FA20DIT already....

CRC makes this stuff:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlKh4y5DJEg]CRC's DGI Intake Valve Cleaner - Wrenchin' Up - YouTube[/ame]

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Right. Anyone tested its effectiveness?

Also thinking out loud about the LED headlights. Someone was saying that the orange part of the LED housing doesn’t light up and the only actual functional turn signal is the integrated part of the side mirror?

@covertrussian these are the Subaru ones I’ve seen:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f207/carbon-buildup-cleaning-fa20dit-576634/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw6FdAPX8ao

That WRX video is the one that pointed me to the product, I couldn't find it again so just found the CRC product video :).

I wish someone would show the before and after pictures, to see how effective it is at cleaning the valves.

22 Ascent STOCK

There are quite a few negative comments about the CRC video saying the bigger chunks of carbon are damaging the pistons when they break off.

I’m a fan of the OEM stuff that is made to work for Subies so i wouldn’t mind spending a few bucks for the official Carbon Clean product. Have to figure out how to use the tool though.

There are quite a few negative comments about the CRC video saying the bigger chunks of carbon are damaging the pistons when they break off.

I’m a fan of the OEM stuff that is made to work for Subies so i wouldn’t mind spending a few bucks for the official Carbon Clean product. Have to figure out how to use the tool though.

When I was in college, I bought a 85 Toyota Supra with 92K miles that had been owned by 2 women. Shortly after purchase one of my friends who was following me, mentioned that quite a bit of carbon seem to be coming out of my tailpipe when I went WOT. I just assume it was carbon build up from the prior owner and that it would clear out. The oil consumption continuously got worse over time, about 30k miles later it was down to 1 quart per 250-300 miles before I decided to pull the motor. When I pulled the motor apart, the pistons and heads had a lot of carbon build up and it was flaking off. (none of the other engine I have had apart had anywhere close to this amount of carbon build up) It shock me that I still had carbon build up, because I would have though my early 20's aggressive driving style and trips to drag strip would have clean it right out. The carbon had damaged the piston rings.

I am far from being 20 now, and I still drive my cars like I stole them. So hopefully I don't have any carbon buildup :spin:

"When in doubt, gas it out" :lol:

My LGT always drives better after a good day at Auto-X in Devens.

I had same thought. May be regular applications of SeaFoam via vacuum hose for brake MC will help. Otherwise I would assume shell blasting is a much better solution. Intake has to come off anyway in either case.

I really hope Subaru will correct this and introduce Toyota-like system with dual DI and port injection.

Another unknown with this engine is how headgaskets will hold. At this point I have that done on all Subarus we have, including Tribeca's H6 @150K miles.

That’s the thing. On DI it doesn’t matter. The gasoline doesn’t wash the intakes.

Some are claiming that it helps even for DI, but not in a traditional sense. Flooring the car increases airflow through the valves, it's basically like using compressed air to clean off dust, before it has a chance to build up.

22 Ascent STOCK

Some are claiming that it helps even for DI, but not in a traditional sense. Flooring the car increases airflow through the valves, it's basically like using compressed air to clean off dust, before it has a chance to build up.

I am sure your favorite LEO will totally buy into the story of "trying to keep my intake valves clean" ;)

I am sure your favorite LEO will totally buy into the story of "trying to keep my intake valves clean" ;)

You can clean the valves in lower gears, that way your not speeding toooo badly :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

You can clean the valves in lower gears, that way your not speeding toooo badly :lol:

In reality I do think that having car in neutral/park and feeding SeaFoam through vacuum brake MC hose while running at hgiher RPMs can help clean the valves. IDK how you check if it worked though without pulling the intake manifold.