LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Interesting. What are you suggesting, running like 5k for a minute or so in 3rd? Let me get out my drive ratio calculator so I can find out how fast that is.

Some quick math on the 20’s suggests that you’d be around 6000 rpm in 3rd on the Ascent doing around 52 mph. The question is how long and how hard?

Edited by Pilot1226

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality I do think that having car in neutral/park and feeding SeaFoam through vacuum brake MC hose while running at hgiher RPMs can help clean the valves. IDK how you check if it worked though without pulling the intake manifold.

This makes me nervous... is SeaFoam ok to burn and then send through the cat(s)? What about the turbo: will it then coat/corrode the bearings and various seals in there?

I'm all about doing it the faster/easier way, but I'm worried about sending a bunch of burnt garbage around the entire system. Feels like a dual catch can system is a better preventative option, and just do the walnut blasting every 50-100k.

Yeah I personally don’t think Seafoam is a good option for me. If I had an old carburetor engine I might think about it. But not a modern engine.

I’ll try calling my local Subaru service department on anything they offer for carbon and preventative stuff.

There are quite a few negative comments about the CRC video saying the bigger chunks of carbon are damaging the pistons when they break off.

Which indicates that they waited too long.

You can clean the valves in lower gears, that way your not speeding toooo badly :lol:

Just put a huge trailer behind the car with a lot of drag and you can floor it and probably make the valves glowing red hot burning off both carbon build-up and valve seals!

453747.png

oh found it. 4300 lbs. https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/preprod/2019-ascent-preprod/reviews/motor_trend.pdf

Ascent 4300/260 = 16.54 lbs/hp

05 obxt 3565/243 = 14.67 lbs/hp

Actually, should be the other way around :lol:

260/4300*10=0.60HP to 10 lbs power-to-weight ratio

243/3565*10=0.68HP to 10 lbs power-to-weight ratio

Let's do some quick additional math..

If I currently have a stage 2 OBXT with ~300HP at the crank, then my current power-to-weight ratio is

300/3565*10=0.84

If I want to achieve the same PtW ratio with the ascent, I'd need about 361 HP at the crank...

More Edits...

I should add that if I really were to get this vehicle, I would definitely want to increase the torque, not necessarily the HP figure. I want it to be quick when passing on the freeway for instance. I don't think it is as it stands, especially loaded with people, stuff, etc...

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Wow, that’s a really interesting vehicle. It looks fantastic inside and out. I’m not sure that we’d really be interested in this sort of vehicle for our household, but it definitely has a lot of great looking features that I think that anyone would be really excited about. I just hope it gets enough traction so more people can get a taste of what it has to offer in the future.

^how 'quick' do you feel it is on the freeway when passing?

Well, the 3.0 is a little weak on torque (219 lb/ft), so punching the throttle often results in a two-gear downshift, but then it takes off pretty well. I drove a Tribeca with the 3.6 and the extra torque (247 lb/ft) was clearly noticeable.

The Ascent, with 277 lb/ft, and only an extra 100 lbs to lug around, should do quite well.

Torque

Tribeca 3.0 - 19 lbs/ft.lb.

Tribeca 3.6 - 17 lbs/ft.lb.

Ascent 2.4 - 15.5 lbs/ft.lb.

HP

Tribeca 3.0 - 17 lbs/hp

Tribeca 3.6 - 16.4 lbs/hp

Ascent 2.4 - 16.5 lbs/hp

I’m torn. The global platform has been so awesome for the other models.

One part of me wants to go for an Ascent Limited with HK upgrade (gotta have those Konoji led’s) but another part of me is saying wait for the 2020 Outback or Legacy and get the 2.4 DIT in that!

And then another part of me is saying hey idiot, don’t get a DI engine, get the tried and true 3.6!

If I got the DI I would absolutely do the CRC cleaner every oil change. Not sure I would go more than 3000 miles with a turbo per interval though.

The Tribeca was 4200 lbs. It's quite an accomplishment to have a longer, wider, taller vehicle be only about 100lbs more than its predecessor.

That's quite heavy too! Tibeca is 2.2" wider, 3.3" longer, 2" taller then the Outback, but I don't think that would contribute to 541lbs gain?

Curbweight: 2.5i CVT: 3,510lbs, 3.6L Auto: 3,609lbs

Length: 188.2"

Width: 71.7"

Height: 66.1"

Wheelbase: 107.9"

2012 Tribeca:

Curb Weight: 4,150lbs

Length: 191.5"

Width: 73.9"

Height: 68.1"

Wheelbase: 108.1"

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Isn't it based on a steel frame, and has steel body panels? That'll add some weight! (but also make it quieter on the inside)

Believe the Ascent, like the Tribeca and every other post 80s Subaru is built from a unibody construction without actual "frame rails" as we know it. It's structurally 70% stronger/more rigid than previous platforms and does achieve quieter, smoother, less harsh driving dynamics as a result.

You can see the underpinnings here...just imagine it a long longer, wider, with even more buttressing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/07/subaru-global-platform-future-models/#slide-3823575

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The Tribeca was 4200 lbs. It's quite an accomplishment to have a longer, wider, taller vehicle be only about 100lbs more than its predecessor.

I'm wondering if the "high-strength steel" is actually stronger while being lighter than previous platforms.

Everything I see about this vehicle speaks volumes about "heft" while "deft"

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Does anyone know what the composition of this high strength steel is? And how does it compare to other alloys?

That is probably not information you will find available, especially not to the public. Every manufacturer probably specs their own steel requirements.