LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

There is a TSB Foresters and Crosstrek. Might want to dig a little deeper.

You're right, I found a TSB (11-174-17R) that sounds like what you're referring to, but only for the following:

2015-2017MY Legacy and Outback

2015-2017MY WRX

2017MY Forester.

Were you (or anyone with a manual transmission 5th gen Legacy or 4th gen Outback) able to get this ECM update?

If only we got to try a diesel Subaru or Mazda here in the states..I think we'd be fine with that style of power delivery for the right type of car/truck/suv.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Imagine the Ascent with a Diesel engine. I'd be all over it. Torque+mpg. :wub:.

As to reliability, I have no idea..

The later diesels weren't bad, the first year had a few issues from what I have heard.

But give it a diesel H6 - the 4-cylinder is sufficient for an Outback but not for a larger.

453747.png

Actually the Boxer Diesel was a major failure across European markets where cars equipped with that engine (mainly Legacy Wagons, some Outbacks) were sold. So much so that Subaru scrapped R&D work for a successor, in part do to mechanical issues, in part due to Euro-6 emission standards and beyond.

Actually the Boxer Diesel was a major failure across European markets where cars equipped with that engine (mainly Legacy Wagons, some Outbacks) were sold. So much so that Subaru scrapped R&D work for a successor, in part do to mechanical issues, in part due to Euro-6 emission standards and beyond.

It became a failure due to the VW disaster. Before that it was pretty well received and I had two different - one 6MT and one CVT. From a driving perspective pretty nice to drive. From a political perspective post VW - not so fun.

453747.png

I drove the Euro BL Legacy Diesel w/manual tranny and it was quite nice package overall, but AFAIK the engine was a reliability disaster.

I drove the Euro BL Legacy Diesel w/manual tranny and it was quite nice package overall, but AFAIK the engine was a reliability disaster.

From what perspective? Realize that the BL was the first year with the diesel, I had the later years and the only problem I encountered was shot glow plugs once but that didn't prevent the car from being used and it was fixed on warranty. Add also that the dealer overfilled oil once, but that's not the fault of the engine.

453747.png

I think I read that the EE series diesel liked to eat through clutches because it had a hard time dealing with the torque. But I have no first hand experience. If I could get a diesel here in the US, I probably would try it out.

From the research I did, the EE2.0TD was a very competent engine. Its shortfall was the DEF issues - clogging issues mainly as i recall, but it would happen without a whole lot of notification, and cost a lot get everything working and back on the road.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

From the research I did, the EE2.0TD was a very competent engine. Its shortfall was the DEF issues - clogging issues mainly as i recall, but it would happen without a whole lot of notification, and cost a lot get everything working and back on the road.

The two I had didn't have DEF, there's a DPF however.

And most diesels have problems if they are used primarily in city driving where the soot isn't burned off, but with some highway driving now and then it will resolve itself.

Maybe I didn't have any problems due to my "lead foot".

453747.png

All the EE20 and EE20 DPF info you may ever want from your friendly EU Subaru hacker crew (getting further off topic from Ascent): Soot Accumulation Ratios, DPF Regen cycles, DPF Light Patches, Oil Dilution Rates and all. How exciting.

https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/boxer-diesel/ee20-engine-info/

https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-analysis/dpf-management/

Back on topic though - Ascent is bound to make wide use of Subaru's Enhanced OBDII implementation.

What Subaru Diesel Crew outlined below will become important with anyone hoping to monitor/log useful data from their Ascent as Subaru depricated SSM and gone full ape s... over E-OBDII in the newer Hitachi ECU/TCU vehicles. That is unless COBB decides to throw in a towel with AP support for the Ascent (doubtful) because they're already doing exactly that (E-OBDII over CAN sniffing for the 2015+ WRX):

https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/generic/protocols/extended-obd-ii/

Edited by Perscitus

new stuff on the SOA official Ascent pages,

like finally public listing the tongue weight, on the premium/limited/ touring, as 500lbs

https://www.subaru.com/ascent

(below copied from the accessories lifestyle tab).

"Subaru hitches are engineered and crash tested to meet the same rigorous safety standards as the rest of the Ascent.

Rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight, 5,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity,

with base models rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity.

Trailer Hitch requires the hitch and harness for proper operation and safety compliance.

Hitch ball not included.

Trailer brakes may be required by your state for heavier loads. Consult your owner's manual for more information."

Edited by eagleeye

How come the base model does not have the same specs as the others?

base gets you something big enough to haul 7 or 8,

...MADE only for light trailers like a jet ski

...and in reality probably none at all. low price point though to compete with explorers and the like, ...so the base model seems to have been cheapened up.

(kind of like a 2000 legacy brighton wagon).

you got to pony up $3000 more for the premium to with a real trailer package, ...and finally after 50 years. subaru makes something that can do the job of pulling a 5000lb trailer. (safely....in colorado).

I dunno, this may be more practical than Tribeca, but manages to look worse (at least compared to the facelift). Looks like bloated pig. Pity those who will have to drive that thing. It's like being dead early.

I dunno, this may be more practical than Tribeca, but manages to look worse (at least compared to the facelift). Looks like bloated pig. Pity those who will have to drive that thing. It's like being dead early.

I would respectfully disagree. While the facelift Tibeca was at least not as hideous, it looks very bland and minivan like. Before I knew that Tribeca's got a facelift I seriously thought Subaru made a minivan.

1280px-2008_Subaru_Tribeca.jpg

Accent on the other hand looks very macho and anti-minivan. Looks a ton better then my stretched eye Outback too.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Macho? Oh, man. You made me really smile! Thanks.

Frankly I'd take a minivan over this for people mover. Like Pacifica, looks ton better.

Truth to be said, judgement should be reserved until it is seen in person, but honestly what crossover out there looks remotely good? All are like from ehhh to puke. IMO maybe Macan or the newer Cayenne look ok, but everything else is bloated and ungainly. I guess the nature of pumped bloated car-based contraptions. Not that most of truck based SUVs fare better (not many left in the market anyway).

Sounds like you hate crossovers, not sure why your even bothering looking here then? I absolutely despise minivans and would rather own a gen 1 Tibeca over any minvan.

I think the Ascent is one of the better looking SUV's on the market. Cx9 have that ugly 50's retro look, at least they don't have the stupid giant smile like other Mazda's usually do, the Highlander has a decent front front but looks just like a minivan from any other angle.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Showed several pictures of the Ascent to an older friend today, and his first comment was Wow!, that's a good looking vehicle.

This from a man who is as macho as they get, has his own car restoration facility, and would never be caught driving a minivan. He was particularly impressed with the exterior design and interior layout. Seriously thought he'd just wave it off, but he seriously looked at and said that he could see buying the Ascent.

How come the base model does not have the same specs as the others?

For towing?

Without spec-ing it out, likely smaller brakes, no transmission cooler, 4-pin standard Class I electrical connector (Class III - 5,000 lb towing with trailer brakes would require 7-pin connector)

Also noticed that moving from Premium w/18" wheels to Limited/Touring w/20" wheels decreases highway fuel mileage from 27 to 26 MPG.