LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

I never had an issue when I've had to use a spare that was under the rear.

To me it's actually better, I've seen those people loaded up on a road trip- all their stuff on the side of the road because they had to unload everything to get to the spare- no thanks.

Considering the location combined with salted roads it's going to be a headache to get it down.

453747.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the location combined with salted roads it's going to be a headache to get it down.

I understand that, but my 2003 Explorer was 11 years old when I sold it. I could crank the wheel down and back up without an issue. I know because I check spare tire pressure once a year. (Spare was outside under the rear)

Now I have a Flex (spare inside) and I can't image how bad it would have been to have a flat while on our family road trip around the great lakes in the rain.

You'll never convince me it's better on the inside.

Used to be against outside wheels myself, but recently pulled a wheel of an Xterra and it was easy as pie. The only downside is, the wheel is exposed to outside elements so will rust and tire will deteriorate faster, but not having to take all of your crap out and set it on the side of the highway while changing a wheel sounds pretty darn good.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

And you have to consider your climate when you have an outside spare if you wash the car because of salt or dirt, let the spare down and do the same. There are also spare tire covers that will protect it from road debris or dirt/salt. For us the outside spare on the Tribeca was never an issue, we never used it either though. But after having the car for 5 years we put a hitch on and the spare was easy to let down and back up no issue with it.

Talking about spare tires, the one thing I would like to see is a full-size spare, especially for those of us who trailer.

Not sure how much room a FSS would require, but if you're in the middle of BFE with a boat or RV trailer on behind, and you lose a tire, putting a donut spare on really limits how far you can go to get it replaced.

And, if it's to replace a lost rear tire, you'd likely have to move a front tire to the rear location and put the donut on the front, just to manage the towed load.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I think that's the first time I've seen an oil cooler on an FA or FB type engine. Not sure what the engine code will be, "FC" perhaps, but looks like an engine cooler is just one element of the increased duty elements added to the Ascent. I wonder if there's also an additional trans cooler added to the mix? Know that there's a Subaru cooler already for the HD-CVT, just don't recall it being installed previously on anything USDM.
Very interesting. Indeed, none of the FA/BA USDM offerings got the stock JDM/ADM CVT cooler (optional on most JDM/ADM FA20DIT equipped cars, stock on WRX S4 tS and S207s), not even as an option. This abomination (EDIT: this here Ascent) most likely will.

Said OE aux. CVTF cooler (likely present here too):

1786467565_subaru-wrx-s4-ts-special-edition-18.jpgautoformat2Ccompressfitmaxh670q60w1000s0cbec.jpg.8962e5ab5e1434bbbde1576fba67bf81.jpg

20160828233800ba5.thumb.jpg.29c1e672f9ed342ac965489de273510f.jpg

261433d1438060463-nagashs-2016-xt-journal-oil-cooler.jpg.e5e25b05e285d3ff48a6b55fd102c4b5.jpg

Edited by Perscitus

I installed optional tranny cooler on our Tribeca within week of purchase. Toyota used to put tranny coolers on their cars at factory.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I bought my B9 used at my local Subie dealer - had them install the towing package (including tranny cooler) when I bought it. It's been great for driving in hot Atlanta weather - keeps things reasonably cool. I probably would have overheated the tranny if I didn't have it.

I am surprised that they didn't have a tow hitch on the show model, given that this is a significant step-up in tow-capability for Subaru and market buyers look for this.

Yes that's interesting. Looking at the rear gate pictures again I can't help but notice that center section in rear bumper - it almost looks like a cover for hitch. Too bad I didn't take a pic from the inside of the bumper - laying on the floor was strange enough with all people walking around:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=261811&stc=1&d=1518371882

May be whoever goes to see it at next show can check what's the deal with that rear bumper design, and update us.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Very interesting. Indeed, none of the FA/BA USDM offerings got the stock JDM/ADM CVT cooler (optional on most JDM/ADM FA20DIT equipped cars, stock on WRX S4 tS and S207s), not even as an option. This abomination (EDIT: this here Ascent) most likely will.

Said OE aux. CVTF cooler (likely present here too):

So you're saying the Ascent is an abomination? :)

Everything I've read, including Motor Trend's review, indicated that it's DI only.

EPA testing and mileage estimates were supposed to be out last month.

Yes that's interesting. Looking at the rear gate pictures again I can't help but notice that center section in rear bumper - it almost looks like a cover for hitch. Too bad I didn't take a pic from the inside of the bumper - laying on the floor was strange enough with all people walking around:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=261811&stc=1&d=1518371882

May be whoever goes to see it at next show can check what's the deal with that rear bumper design, and update us.

I'll see if I can get some info and additional pictures and details at the Atlanta show. EPA estimates should be out by then too.

Everything I've read, including Motor Trend's review, indicated that it's DI only.

Aww bummer :(

Seems kind of a let down. Walnut Shell Blasting every 60k I guess. Unless maybe since it’s tuned down to 87 the problem with carbon buildup won’t be as pronounced?

87 wouldn't make a difference in this case, infact it usually runs dirtier (on port injected cars) since it has less detergents compared to premium.

22 Ascent STOCK

Walnut blasting is the new timing belt service.

Costs as much too, guess Subaru was missing that $1k every couple years :lol:

^Can you do this yourself?

You can, but you need to get a good amount of equipment. There is also CRC spray that might do the trick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlKh4y5DJEg]CRC's DGI Intake Valve Cleaner - Wrenchin' Up - YouTube[/ame]

22 Ascent STOCK

This really sucks. So what makes these DIT engines so great then? :mad:

Hey, they sell kits for you to do this.....

http://subiebros.com/subie-bros-fa20dit-valve-cleaning-kit-walnut-blasting/

In any case, feels like one step forward, two steps backward..

Edited by xt2005bonbon

This really sucks. So what makes these DIT engines so great then? :mad:

Direct injection sprays fuel droplets directly into the cylinder, unlike port injection which sprays it on valves and causes the fuel to pre-evaporate. Fuel droplets are able to soak up cylinder heat much better, but it is at the cost of fuel atomization (which I'm not sure how they get around on DI).

Due to this, DIT can run higher compression and leaner AFR's on same boost levels. This all leads to more power and better fuel economy.

Hey, they sell kits for you to do this.....

http://subiebros.com/subie-bros-fa20dit-valve-cleaning-kit-walnut-blasting/

In any case, feels like one step forward, two steps backward..

It is indeed, but that's why some cars have port injectors and direct injectors. Best of both worlds.

I don't understand how you'd do this (walnut blasting) without pulling the heads. :iam:

It's actually not too bad, you rotate the crank to close the valves, blast them, wash everything away, then move on to the next set. There is a slight right that something will go through, but as long as your valves seat right you should be fine.

22 Ascent STOCK

It's actually not too bad, you rotate the crank to close the valves, blast them, wash everything away, then move on to the next set. There is a slight right that something will go through, but as long as your valves seat right you should be fine.

Yes, it does not sound too bad. BUT, there is still all the labor and time to remove your intake manifold, hoses, etc... That's not fun :(.

But I get the better fuel economy and performance improvements.