LegacyGT.com

Let's talk Audi Allroads and/or A4 Avants

I'm at the point where my LGT can't be my daily any longer. It's been far too fickle lately with breaking this or that. I don't think I'm going to get rid of it since it's probably worthless except for the aftermarket parts. It's covered in small hail dents and the engine might need to be rebuilt again. I still love the look of the car, especially with the JDM front end, and how it drives and sounds, but it's becoming a nuisance to have to spend money on labor. Maybe having another daily will give me the chance to tinker with it myself.

On to the main point - anyone have experience with Allroads and/or the A4 Avants? I know the last year they made the Avant in the US was 2012. The Allroad took over (such as the Outback did over the LGT wagon). I have a friend with a well done 2013 Allroad which has turned me toward them.

I'm looking for a sport wagon. While I love the Subaru family of cars, I'm ready for something different, and something that I (currently) don't feel I will be driven to modify excessively. Given that, I'm open to other suggestions of sport wagons, and opinions on the Allroads or A4 Avant.

if you are looking at lower cost of ownership, i don't think Audi is the right make. It also doesn't sound like you'd really want to do that since the mod bug could and would bite again.

methinks there is a disconnect in what you say you want, and what you really want. or some denial.

Have you considered a FiST or FoST? Good and quick out of the box and decent mileage as well. FiST is probably smaller than you're looking for but FoST are still quick.

you keep saying FiST all over. what are you talking about? it's not really a google-searchable term...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

if you are looking at lower cost of ownership, i don't think Audi is the right make. It also doesn't sound like you'd really want to do that since the mod bug could and would bite again.

methinks there is a disconnect in what you say you want, and what you really want. or some denial.

you keep saying FiST all over. what are you talking about? it's not really a google-searchable term...

Fiesta ST/Focus ST

Speaking of Audi, look what we did 2 weekends ago. Yay S4 Timing chain guides!!!! ******* Audi. Obviously you won't have these issues because you're not look at cars with the 4.2 liter v8 in them but those damn Audi engineers.

1195324520_S4pull.thumb.jpg.072591eef6a2332419a27d461d720713.jpg

201487504_S4pull2.thumb.jpg.dbb835b2cad3cf87840fe553955bc68a.jpg

1830529268_s4pull3.jpg.5e1a6b8fbd524fd54ec0e379f30be5e8.jpg

832414297_s4pull4.jpg.7d0ac0eb588913e3a792160b16f4c247.jpg

My mom has a 2010 A6 Avant and my dad has a 2005 A8L. Both cars have been quite reliable for us. The A8 is a bit of a pain to do an oil change on since you have to remove the airbox assembly to get to the oil filter. The a6 is much easier though. The only big expensive job was the timing chain on the A8 because the whole front end has to come off to get to it. For the age of cars you're looking at I'd say getting a CPO one they on be that bad. Another slightly cheaper option could be the VW Golf sportwagon. Might even be able to get a 2015 TDI one brand new for a deal. The EPA allowed them to start selling those models again.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Expensive maintenance and if things break be prepared to open your wallet and bend over.

can you tell me how much different than Subaru? The only thing inexpensive in a Subaru is the suspension, i feel like. then again, I haven't looked into equivalent services for cost comparisons. My car is at the age where primary components are going to start to go, and I'm done dumping another car's worth of money into it.

when I look at newer Subarus being in the high $20k, low $30k range, I start to look around for slightly aged other options.

Have you considered a FiST or FoST? Good and quick out of the box and decent mileage as well. FiST is probably smaller than you're looking for but FoST are still quick.

I'll take a look, but as someone else said, I'm looking to keep AWD.

I agree, I am torn. the idea with one of the Audis would be to keep it stock except for maybe wheels. i know.. that's where it starts. but, with the way I drive my car now, I could have stayed at Stage 1 levels and been happy. I had my fun blowing this thing up, having it rebuilt and "souped up," and then wearing it down again.

then, besides oil changes (I would hope I can do them on my own - I do currently), just have to keep up on the regular maintenance of the car and I'm willing to pay for that.

My mom has a 2010 A6 Avant and my dad has a 2005 A8L. Both cars have been quite reliable for us. The A8 is a bit of a pain to do an oil change on since you have to remove the airbox assembly to get to the oil filter. The a6 is much easier though. The only big expensive job was the timing chain on the A8 because the whole front end has to come off to get to it. For the age of cars you're looking at I'd say getting a CPO one they on be that bad. Another slightly cheaper option could be the VW Golf sportwagon. Might even be able to get a 2015 TDI one brand new for a deal. The EPA allowed them to start selling those models again.

thanks for the info and suggestion on the TDI, I'll check it out.

Also be prepared to buy triple squares if you plan on doing any of your own work. Audi doesn't like to use bolts with hex heads. Same with VW since, well, you know.

yikes, thanks for the heads up.

can you tell me how much different than Subaru? The only thing inexpensive in a Subaru is the suspension, i feel like. then again, I haven't looked into equivalent services for cost comparisons. My car is at the age where primary components are going to start to go, and I'm done dumping another car's worth of money into it.

Even non suspension components are relatively inexpensive for Subaru's. It seems cheaper than the Toyota and Nissan and not much more expensive than the GM vehicles I have had before. If your Subaru seems expensive its the $100 plus labor rate your paying. Fixing the timing chain setup on the V8 cost more in parts than the YNANSB for LGT. If I had to guess Audi parts easily 3x more expensive and the labor take 2x as long.

Depends on how much you want to spend, I guess. 3-series touring might fit the bill.

If you're buying/leasing an new Allroad, I say go for it if finances allow. It's a gorgeous car.

As an example, my wife's old 80k mile 2007 328i had the water pump go out. Parts alone were over $350 for a non-OEM part, and I had to buy a few special tools, and it took me 6 hours to do, mostly because of the insane packaging that the German's seem to love. It would have been $800 at a shop, I know because I got estimates.

It also had a slow oil leak at the seal on the variable valve timing controller that went thru the cam cover on the top of the motor. We just let it go because it wasn't bad, it would drip onto the headers after a hard stop every once in a while and produce a puff of smoke and burned oil stench that got dragged right into the cabin filter. The seal wasn't available separately, you had to buy the entire controller....from BMW....for $550....and that was with my friend's BMW technician cost plus 10% discount.

Audi's are going to be like BMW and MB, expensive.

You know about this?

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/german-reliability-the-greatest-myth-ever-sold-to-amer-1572026115

"For this reason, I have taken to measuring automotive reliability on a scale I've dubbed the "Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability," which rates cars based on how close they are to the original Audi Allroad in terms of potential for random four-figure maintenance bills. "

It's about the older Allroads, but its still a fun(ny) read.

I was looking at getting a F31 BMW when they were first released. But I didn't want AWD back then and they are only avail in awd and autobox. I still like 'em though. I remember a pic of a full set of wheels and tires for it fitting side by side in the hatch.

Found it. Oh that's right, it was TWO sets of wheels. Eight.

IMG_0214.JPG

"I recently took the wagon back to the track. Still on the runflats but I bought some used rims and tires while I was there, one set for the M3 and the other for the Wagon. 8 wheels and tires, I just threw them in the back, no problem."

Pic comes from this great post on tracking the F31 wagon bone stock:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954033%22%3Ehttp://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954033

• I Donated
FoST and FiST are not AWD. He does live in the NE and presumably coming from a Subaru, and looking at an A4, means he wants to retain AWD.

Winter tire 2wd > No season tire AWD.

...that said winter tire awd > all so I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. 2wd winter tires will be sufficient for me and i'm strongly considering a FiST as my next daily, and i've got a 4wd van with mud tires on it if I really need to get somewhere.

^true! My dad has a set of snow tires he puts on his FoST in the winter and I keep rocking my S-04 and his car does better than mine even if it's just cold out. Granted that's comparing summers to winters but it's still fwd vs AWD and the fwd does better. I'll probably get winter tires for this next winter since I won't be in CA for most of the winter.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Honestly, I had no problem in any of the snow we had (incl. snowpocalypse 2011 on Halloween and in 2013 or 14) with General Altimax Arctics on my old Corolla. Obviously AWD + snows is better, but I can't imagine getting stuck anywhere here in the NE with good snows, regardless of drive type.

i've never had an issue driving around the NW with decent all seasons in snow with FWD. drove through a blizzard in Nevada in a corolla with stock tires and no chains. not to say that was smart, but i didn't have any issues. haven't been stopped by snow yet! (unless it was just too deep for ground clearance, or lack there of).
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Archived