LegacyGT.com

Cryo's 2008 Spec B Story - Ongoing project

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this issue has been examined by gates and supposedly fixed. I will try and post the pic of the bulletin

Still debating on returning the gates kit but we will see.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Well here is the bulletin from gates talking about the issue and the fix. Still undecided.

Tossed the rotors on the lathe due to some vibration but still have 7/8ths of the pad left so reused the hawks that came on it.

now the bummer news. Decided to smoke test it as it was running a little leaner under boost when i tossed it on the dyno a little while back. That resulted in a smoke show coming from about three differnt places at the turbo inlet.

Heres where the rabbit hole gets deep quickly........

If i gotta do a turbo inlet I might as well do the IAG TGV deletes I'm planning on while the manifold is off. Then again its easier to toss a set of ID1300's in while the manifold is off as well.

level 2......Well if I got the fueling already supported due to this damn turbo inlet should I even buy the stock inlet?.....The turbo I'm looking at for this stock block fun offers a different turbo inlet due to the inlet size thus making it not an option to buy now without upgrading the turbo.......

This could get expensive VERY quickly but honestly thats a little out of the budget now........maybe.

Dave

2134245229_gatetbeltnote.thumb.jpg.bd9b42727fa40039d799b2deb403aa5d.jpg

1798113192_dbarotorturn.thumb.jpg.e94ee3dcaff911586eb5b2b02ceb0b92.jpg

1393164466_smoketest1.thumb.jpg.96f2d145296f920c5ff6f112ee6c6b8d.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

Saw your post on FB the other day and thought it was your new car with the bad turbo inlet. You can replace it without removing the intake manifold. It's a PITA, but it can be done. Factory ones only run about $90 and I'm sure you can resell it for $50ish after you upgrade to what you need leaving you out only about $40. Not a bad price to give you some time to decide what you want.

Being able to lift up that manifold for things like these is a huge reason I'm going with a parallel fuel system.

If one could inquire, what turbo are you hinting at Cryo? I think my step up from the 16G is going to be a EFR7163, or a Blouch 1.5.

oh its no real secret, I'm looking at the HTZ blue with the upgraded 84mm compressor cover and its own inlet while I still have the stock block. Curious to see what kind of power and torque I can get on 91oct up here. After the built block it will be an EFR7163 or 7670.

I know the inlet can be done with the manifold on, its just a pain in the ass. Part of me wants an excuse to tear into it deeper but I need to keep it reasonable as well.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just ordered a Perrin turbo inlet and a AEM320 fuel pump.

Just gonna go cheap and replace just the inlet for the moment and toss some money into new B8 Bilstiens or coil overs. cant decided yet.

As soon as I get the pump in, Tbelt changed and downpipe back on I will be switching over to E85 on the stock injectors since I'm a mile high and can get away with it. Makes for some good torque rowing through the gears.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just ordered a Perrin turbo inlet and a AEM320 fuel pump.

Just gonna go cheap and replace just the inlet for the moment and toss some money into new B8 Bilstiens or coil overs. cant decided yet.

As soon as I get the pump in, Tbelt changed and downpipe back on I will be switching over to E85 on the stock injectors since I'm a mile high and can get away with it. Makes for some good torque rowing through the gears.

Dave

Nice, that's what I bought when I was up in Austin last summer and we were trying to still figure out if it was fueling. Nice small pump that fit without any modification to the stock housing. IIRC it's a bit smaller than the DW65C

Returned the Gates Timing kit and going with Aisin kit instead. Honestly the gates kit was probably just fine but without knowing the components are OEM style idlers like they used to be I am a little leary due to recent reviews and talks with others in the industry.

oh well.

on a side note. Anyone currently running BC BR coil overs or Tein Flex Z coil overs on their LGT for more than say 5-10k? I'm looking for personal opinions over what my searches have brought up. I have been in LGT's with cheap coil overs and it was wose than blown stock suspension so I was just figuring I would reach out to others running those setups. I'm leaning that way currently but haven't decided yet.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you're interested, I just installed a set of RCE T1's this weekend, you're more than welcome to give it a test. Obviously no long term results, but so far I'm pleased.

Also, interested in your build! I'm going a similar direction, but eyeing a 6758, maaaybe a 7163.

Returned the Gates Timing kit and going with Aisin kit instead. Honestly the gates kit was probably just fine but without knowing the components are OEM style idlers like they used to be I am a little leary due to recent reviews and talks with others in the industry.

oh well.

on a side note. Anyone currently running BC BR coil overs or Tein Flex Z coil overs on their LGT for more than say 5-10k? I'm looking for personal opinions over what my searches have brought up. I have been in LGT's with cheap coil overs and it was wose than blown stock suspension so I was just figuring I would reach out to others running those setups. I'm leaning that way currently but haven't decided yet.

Dave

Are you not interested in the Koni + lowering spring option?

If you're interested, I just installed a set of RCE T1's this weekend, you're more than welcome to give it a test. Obviously no long term results, but so far I'm pleased.

Another +1 for RCE Tarmacs. KW are great coilovers, and RCE sets them up nicely for the Legacy. I've run half a dozen different suspension setups in my Subarus and not one has come close to the balance of sharp handling and ride comfort that the Tarmacs provide.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Well I am actually getting a set of stock USDM bilstiens and HR springs from a customer so that should work for the time being. I tuned his car not to long ago and actually liked the feel of the suspension so I'm happy about that.

Boyce - Funny you ask, I just got the tablet mounted this evening since I got word from subaru that my air bag recall will be performed May 5th!

Thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated.

Dave

742057154_nexus7small.thumb.jpg.c05e963a57fb03491750e3711a52811b.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the Tein Flex Z coilovers on my SpecB and have had them for about 5000 miles. On anything less than nearly fully stiff settings, they're pretty terrible. The softer settings will have you bouncing like you're on blown dampers, so much so that I've nearly gotten sick from the undulations. I have mine set to something like 25 clicks (out of 30) to full stiff and they're still kind of bad. Tolerable, but there are better options. Any stiffer and the ride becomes akin to a horse drawn carriage.

If I had more time to get the car road ready (wouldn't pass inspection with the blown ISC coilovers that came on the car), I would've sincerely looked at KW or RCE as I've had good experiences with both in the past.

Thanks for the review on the Tein, I had heard similar things after doing some real digging. I decided to stick with the USDM bilstien/HR springs for comfort and since a set basically fell into my lap....Not a big fan of going cheap but this is an oem feel and fixing some very worn ones currently on the car. I'm realizing I have to pick my battles as I go since there is a little more maintenence coming up on this car than it appeared when I purchased it. Oh well, still very happy to be back in something I care about so much I'm willing to put the money into without issue.

On to yesterdays fun.

New plugs installed, hood shocks installed, grimspeed EBCS, new perrin turbo inlet, a new to me factory tmic since the one on there was leaking in a few more spots once the inlet was repaired :( and a little more work on the nexus setup.

Next up will either be the fuel pump if I get an extra hour or so OR tackle the Tbelt,water pump and possibly oil pan gasket if I get a weekend to actually work on my own car for once lol

Dave

plugs.thumb.jpg.0ea03b867761bce3081f04888348fa49.jpg

hoodshocks.thumb.jpg.6110ea8bb23869672639f1e234acdbe2.jpg

inlet1.thumb.jpg.f44b02022ca32158fc0bee6986c34d26.jpg

2064739015_turboinlet.thumb.jpg.3ef6b7ff0bbbd6b793725c62279b3fda.jpg

tmic.thumb.jpg.c73cc168d33498b06e77a911bd0e8481.jpg

gsebcs.thumb.jpg.bd1fbb86b316092e236726d2bee2b008.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished the nexus install and snagged a new tactrix 2.0 as the old one went with the tablet install.

I also received the whiteline control arm bushings and sway bar links that will go on with the USDM bilstien/HR combo.

Cant wait to stiffen up the suspension as those bushings are toast.

Dave

1058342943_SpecBnexusinstall.thumb.jpg.9d81c6b44b4b61a36efdd4e03965d428.jpg

20170309_202704.thumb.jpg.7d41957f4232c09ed201aeb2f26c15e2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought about it but didnt go for them right now, its gonna need a rack as well at some point. Thanks for the info though and that cool schematic!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought about it but didnt go for them right now, its gonna need a rack as well at some point. Thanks for the info though and that cool schematic!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived