LegacyGT.com

Subaru Viziv-7

nemo

Derrick be careful, those who have been around long enough remember how guys who leaked even smallest actual info about 5th gen and 5th gen refresh were sacked by SIA. It's not worth it.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'all crack me up if you believe the example at NYIAS is the production version. It even says "concept" on the floor. I do believe it's a very close representation to what will be production, but as people have commented on the door handles, just look at the handles on the camouflaged test mule above, and I'd bet lunch that those are much closer the actual production version than those shown on the "Concept"

Trump will not really impact this much, if at all, and mainly due to the painful lessons certain manufacturers have learned. What happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket and price of gas sky rockets coupled to an imploding economy?

The flat-6, as smooth as it is, is a complete let down when it comes to power out of such a large engine. Presumably cheaper, the FA20F does everything the flat 6 was meant to, while the new 2.4L turbo will build on that. Maybe not in the peak power area, but certainly with a greater area under the curve.

I'm still looking for all these SUVs with V6s that are tearing up the street races...sadly haven't found one yet. The H6 was on par for size and specs of what it came in, we drove plenty of v6 SUVs and minivans none of them are any kind of performer either on the street or at the gas pump. Subarus H6 was squarely middle of the pack, not the best or worst at anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm still looking for all these SUVs with V6s that are tearing up the street races...sadly haven't found one yet. The H6 was on par for size and specs of what it came in, we drove plenty of v6 SUVs and minivans none of them are any kind of performer either on the street or at the gas pump. Subarus H6 was squarely middle of the pack, not the best or worst at anything.

How dare you inject rational thought or logic into this pissing match!

The flat-6, as smooth as it is, is a complete let down when it comes to power out of such a large engine. Presumably cheaper, the FA20F does everything the flat 6 was meant to, while the new 2.4L turbo will build on that. Maybe not in the peak power area, but certainly with a greater area under the curve.

That would be true if the new 2.4 DIT is based off of the FA engine. But what if it is based off of the FB family of engines?

The FB16 DIT used in the Levorg is designed to run on regular fuel. The FA20 DIT will "tolerate" regular, but it needs premium octane for best performance.

How dare you inject rational thought or logic into this pissing match!

Here are some examples of 6cyl NA engines in similar displacement range:

268hp (+12hp) with 3.5L - Camry

278hp (+22hp) with 3.5L - Accord

290hp (+34hp) with 3.5L - TLX

300hp (+44hp) with 3.5L - Maxima

335hp (+79hp) with 3.6L - Camaro LT

350hp (+94hp) with 3.6L - TVR Tuscan

350hp (+94hp) with 3.7L - 370Z Nismo

375hp (+119hp) with 3.8L - Boxter Spyder

At the very least Subaru should be able to beat Camry?

This is just embarrassing:

"With the sprint to 60 mph taking 7.1 seconds and the quarter-mile passing in 15.5 at 94 mph, the new car is 0.7- and 0.5-second slower than our 2010 [3.6R Legacy].

Even the Mazda 6—184-hp inline-four, six-speed automatic, 3294 pounds—bests the Subaru to 60 and loses by just a tenth in the quarter."

And then Accord with A/T blows it out of water with 5.6s 0-60 and 14.1s for 1/4mi

caranddriver

268hp (+12hp) with 3.5L - Camry

278hp (+22hp) with 3.5L - Accord

290hp (+34hp) with 3.5L - TLX

300hp (+44hp) with 3.5L - Maxima

335hp (+79hp) with 3.6L - Camaro LT

350hp (+94hp) with 3.6L - TVR Tuscan

350hp (+94hp) with 3.7L - 370Z Nismo

375hp (+119hp) with 3.8L - Boxter Spyder

Car, Torque, 0 to 60

Camry 248 6.1s to 60

Accord 252 5.6s

TLX 267 5.9s

Maxima 261 5.9s

3.6/5eat 247 lb ft 6.3s

I'm not seeing the problem especially given the Legacy and the TLX are the only AWD cars. For all the horsepower these other cars produce the torque is pretty similar to the old 3.6 and performance isn't noticeably better.

I'm more disappointed other automakers haven't done significantly better with their large engines. Nissan has tried but failed, especially taking the Maxima to a cvt only platform, unfortunately the same mistake subaru made with the legacy/outback 3.6 trim.

256hp with 3.6L Subaru 23mpg regular

268hp (+12hp) with 3.5L - Camry 24mpg regular

278hp (+22hp) with 3.5L - Accord 25mpg regular

290hp (+34hp) with 3.5L - TLX 25mpg premium

300hp (+44hp) with 3.5L - Maxima 25mpg premium

335hp (+79hp) with 3.6L - Camaro LT 22mpg regular

350hp (+94hp) with 3.6L - TVR Tuscan 19mpg premium (2006 model)

350hp (+94hp) with 3.7L - 370Z Nismo 22mpg premium

375hp (+119hp) with 3.8L - Boxter Spyder 20mpg premium

I added mpg from fueleconomy.gov and type of gas required to get a better picture. After looking at the numbers, I kinda agree, Subaru should be able to beat camry. (although, my mpg actually does at 24.4 ;)). However, it the other cars had awd, the numbers would definitely change in Subaru's favor.

I understand the reasons why the subaru engine is the way it is, with fuel efficiency concerns and all. But that is exactly the point I wanted to make - it is weak, and we cant really say it is on par with competition.

I understand the reasons why the subaru engine is the way it is, with fuel efficiency concerns and all. But that is exactly the point I wanted to make - it is weak, and we cant really say it is on par with competition.

What competition is blowing subarus SUVs out of the water? You are cherry picking specs that fit your argument instead of ones that are in actually related vehicles, every "example" you listed is a car or sports car, really wtf? I thought this thread was about a 3 row SUV?

What competition is blowing subarus SUVs out of the water? You are cherry picking specs that fit your argument instead of ones that are in actually related vehicles, every "example" you listed is a car or sports car, really wtf? I thought this thread was about a 3 row SUV?

I think you missed the point there. They're comparing cars of similar size and class (for the most part) and comparing power, acceleration, and fuel economy.

It's fair to assume that if those figures hold true for midsize/fullsize sedans/wagons, you can draw a similar forecast to a midsize/fullsize SUV in the market.

Either way, those who think Subaru is way behind the curve are conveniently picking the stats and figures that support their bias. Echo chamber, people!

Why would you do that? To have a data set of 1? The TLX is the only car I see on that list that is remotely comparable and offered with AWD. Then you have a handful of other cars that are otherwise similar in size and displacement, and then you can consider the power specs. The fuel economy merely illustrates that despite AWD, the gap between Subaru and the others is pretty slim on the whole.

That would be true if the new 2.4 DIT is based off of the FA engine. But what if it is based off of the FB family of engines?

The FB16 DIT used in the Levorg is designed to run on regular fuel. The FA20 DIT will "tolerate" regular, but it needs premium octane for best performance.

The FA was developed from the FB engine, with efforts to reduce weight while maintaining durability. That being said aside from the general commonality the two do not share blocks, head, connecting rods, pistons, etc.

FB being the older one of the two and FA series having the larger of the two's families turbocharged engines it was just a speculation on my part that the engine would be an evolution of the newer design.

I think you missed the point there. They're comparing cars of similar size and class (for the most part) and comparing power, acceleration, and fuel economy.

It's fair to assume that if those figures hold true for midsize/fullsize sedans/wagons, you can draw a similar forecast to a midsize/fullsize SUV in the market.

Either way, those who think Subaru is way behind the curve are conveniently picking the stats and figures that support their bias. Echo chamber, people!

Even the cheapest of auto makers is not going to pull a v6 out of a 2 door coupe and put it in a 5k lb SUV unchanged. And peak torque/horsepower doesn't even begin to acct for the actual area under the curve, which is where the H series of engines excels.

The FA was developed from the FB engine, with efforts to reduce weight while maintaining durability. That being said aside from the general commonality the two do not share blocks, head, connecting rods, pistons, etc.

FB being the older one of the two and FA series having the larger of the two's families turbocharged engines it was just a speculation on my part that the engine would be an evolution of the newer design.

Good to know, but I thought the FA and FB came out around the same time.

Also isn't the FB16DIT the newest turbo engine?

Archived