LegacyGT.com

Subaru Viziv-7

nemo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.4L is odd, but i figure its going to be 330-350, they are going to want to go right after the ford focus RS and honda Civic R. No mention on numbers but remember:

Legacy Levorg 2.0DIT 295/296

2.4 could easily surpass 350, but my guess is this is the replacement for the H6 as well.

Ute? Sport ute? Sport Utility? Geez, I didn't invent the term, it's been around for years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought you meant something like this or the return of the Baja...

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2013_holden_vf_commodore_ss_v_ute_australian_launch_road_test_review_02-0529-900x480.jpg

This will be Subaru's version of Mazda CX-9. A three row, turbocharged 4-cylinder, CVT driven AWD system, with about 230-250 HP and around 300 lbs of tq, that starts to weigh in at about 4,000 lbs. and will begin to price in low to mid $30's. Albeit more vanilla than the Mazda, as that is Subaru's play as of last 7-8 years.

Other's projections of this thing needing more than a direct injection turbocharged 4 and weighing in as much as a body on frame Tahoe are a bit past the mark in my opinion.

I'm guessing that torque number is going to be more along the lines of WRX torque, so like ~260 ft-lbs.

Right now, it looks like that's what the HT-CVT can support based on current WRX and H6 torque figures.

I don't think the high torque CVT is limited to WRX numbers. The high torque CVT 2012 Legacy DIT in japan was making 296 hp and 295 lbs/ft torque. The CVT JDM WRX is making the same 296/295 as the DIT Legacy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its unreasonable to equate the use case of the engine in the SUV and a WRX.

The engine in the SUV has to run on regular fuel, have good low rpm drivability, be very reliable, and handle towing on top of 4000lbs.

This isn't going to be that different than the use case for the H6 Outback. It may need to have a higher tow capacity and higher gross vehicle weight. The H6 Outback only makes like 250ft-lbs.

Ya'll are funny thinking subaru will put anything but an H6 and a CVT in this thing

It doesn't need HP, it needs torque and plenty of it.

I agree with ^. A four banger of any flavor in this thing would be a joke. Gotta be some flavor of the H6 I'm betting, or some as of yet unrevealed other engine, possibly borrowed from another company.

I can't argue that fact but only offer up that if the Subie is as large as a Tahoe it would take one hot rod and over worked 4 to haul it around. People bitch about under-powered cars and trucks already, I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if Subie intros a 5000lb beast with a four, buyer piles the kids and 300# of gear into it then goes on a mountain trip. Forget towing a small trailer with it at the same time. It's not a vehicle I'd buy, period.

There's a case for and support locally for the H6 in the new SUV and there's already a host of people who say even the H6 is under-powered for the Legacy.

I have no clue what will wind up in the new truck but I hope it has some balls and longevity. Otherwise SIA will have made a marketing mistake. A big one.

Subaru would be on par with the rest of the market to put a 4 banger in it. The new 2018 Traverse is big and comes with GMs 2.0T in lower trim levels. Even the Acadia, while smaller, comes with a 2.5DI.

A large DI/NA 4 cylinder(2.4DI?) could be enough for a base model, while the H6 would need more power to stay competitive in the market, possibly addition of DI(which is probably long over due). A 2.4DIT could theoretically cut it, but that's really pushing the boundaries of what consumers are willing to except considering it's size.

The H6 is way behind the curve, and long due for an update/replacement. If anything, I'd expect to see a new H6 break in the Ascent.

Transmission could get tricky here. It's been some time since I've done much research into CVTs, but the last I knew the limit on the chain was just south of 300lbs/ft. I don't know what an SUVof this size, loaded with 7 passengers, and a trailer in the mountains of Colorado would do to a CVT, but I can't imagine it would like it. Of course augmenting with electric motors could swing it back into the safe zone?

I agree that Subaru needs to get this right if they want to grow. DI needs to be in all of their motors and they need to look at light weight materials in more than just the WRX/STI. When I was researching new cars, the biggest complaints with the Legacy(aside from it's vanilla looks)and Outback was lack of power, performance, and fuel economy.... The new platform that underpins the Impreza should help with the performance(one of the salesmen who I spoke with, has had several WRX/STIs said the new Impreza chassis actually feels stiffer than the WRX/STI). DI across the board and more use of FI can fix the power and economy.

I have a hard time stomaching subaru sticking a cvt in this thing and expecting it to haul anything but its own curb weight. It could be they have been reworking a traditional auto with 6 or more gears...well I can dream right, lol. I also don't see the hybrid system suddenly jumping to a battery pack that is actually useful without already having been out in other models at this point, and as of yet Subaru hasn't surprised anyone with their new models. I am hopeful it will be a tired 3.6/5eat combo powering it in some level at least, but I think that is very optimistic.

Y'all crack me up! People are talking like Subaru is going for the market of boat and 5th wheel haulers. Hell no. They're just looking to pick up some of the market share of of mid-size SUV buyers who want a little more room than a Forester or Outback. AKA buyers of CX9's, Ford Edges, Chevy Traverse, etc. And the only reason they're looking to branch out to that is because there's typically more profit in those vehicles than smaller vehicles.

Not sure about the fuel economy being an issue for the Legacy (talking 4-bangers here) if you consider that you are buying a 3,500 lbs. all wheel drive all the time sedan. 25/34 is really good in my book.

For instance here is how it stacks up:

Camry: 24/33

Accord: 27/36

Outback: 25/32

Forester: 26/32

Mazda6: 26/35

Altima: 27/39

Maxima: 21/30

Not sure about the fuel economy being an issue for the Legacy (talking 4-bangers here) if you consider that you are buying a 3,500 lbs. all wheel drive all the time sedan. 25/34 is really good in my book.

For instance here is how it stacks up:

Camry: 24/33

Accord: 27/36

Outback: 25/32

Forester: 26/32

Mazda6: 26/35

Altima: 27/39

Maxima: 21/30

But my neighbors prius gets 150 mpg down hill with a 50mph tail wind...:lol:

I have been at the new car shows and people were comparing fuel economy of the Tribeca against a FWD Murano...nevermind there is an awd Murano as well...:rolleyes:

^huh. Talking about electric car, I have a friend who bought a 100% electric Renault. They like it. Has a 100 mile range. But a couple of days ago, as the batteries were charging, there was a lightning storm in the vicinity. Yes, you guessed it, something got fried on the car. Had to get the car replaced....

http://electriccarsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Renault-Kangoo-ZE.jpg

Just left the show, guy at the Subaru booth was being pretty tight lipped on and info on the Ascent, other than "large boxer, 7 seat SUV", I was also able to get some specs on the new Traverse. They are very similar size, the Traverse is the same wheelbase as the Tahoe, but because it's a unibody, it has more interior space. They are targeting people that need/want the interior space, but don't need the towing capacity(5000lbs).

I'm guessing maybe a 2.4DIT H4 base engine, and either a 3.3DIT or 4.0DI H6.

Just left the show, guy at the Subaru booth was being pretty tight lipped on and info on the Ascent, other than "large boxer, 7 seat SUV", I was also able to get some specs on the new Traverse. They are very similar size, the Traverse is the same wheelbase as the Tahoe, but because it's a unibody, it has more interior space. They are targeting people that need/want the interior space, but don't need the towing capacity(5000lbs).

I'm guessing maybe a 2.4DIT H4 base engine, and either a 3.3DIT or 4.0DI H6.

Who did you talk to at the auto show? You do realize that most of the time, they just hire models who work the show circuits, right? They have the information that the manufacturers want them to have, and that's about it. And often times it's salesmen from local dealerships filling in.

Who did you talk to at the auto show? You do realize that most of the time, they just hire models who work the show circuits, right? They have the information that the manufacturers want them to have, and that's about it. And often times it's salesmen from local dealerships filling in.

Not sure who he was, the girl there was the one that did all the presentations while I was there, said he was from California. There were a few times his eyes got huge when I started talking about rumors I'd read here and Subaruoutback.org, but he wouldn't confirm or deny anything.

Archived