LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

^ :lol:

Actually, it's perfectly legal to drive with (a) handgun(s) in-hand(s), provided that you have a valid Ohio Concealed Handgun License (or one from a state with reciprocity).

You can spin it with your finger in the trigger-guard for all the law cares. No joke!

The selfie part, though, is a bit shady.....

There's a number of NE-Ohio municipalities that frowns on non hands-free devices.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Lol. I was doing 75 while opening the box but saw Pepper Pike PD on 271 so I slowed down. Made sure no one was next to me either.

Picked my daughter up after that at school and handed it to her and said happy birthday. Got some weird looks.

Yeah. I'm a bad dad.

She didn't even say thank you. Her first words were, "You did get me a third mag for this, right?"

Edited by chowser51

Lol. I was doing 75 while opening the box but saw Pepper Pike PD on 271 so I slowed down. Made sure no one was next to me either.

Picked my daughter up after that at school and handed it to her and said happy birthday. Got some weird looks.

Yeah. I'm a bad dad.

She didn't even say thank you. Her first words were, "You did get me a third mag for this, right?"

LOL Moreland Hills and Bentlyville are more of a worry. Actually even Solon as they are most likely to pull over for anything.

Have any you guys shot the CZP09 yet? I've been trying to find one to shoot locally. I love my M&P but CZ makes some nice stuff too!

Nope I did shoot the P-07. Wasn't a fan of the looks but it works well.

Picked up a SW22 Victory with threaded barrel today for my daughter.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/chowser51att/01705F86-0AF1-467B-9EC9-445C16CD63F0_zpskhnvrrur.jpeg

Looks like an updated version of my 22A-1

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

^ :lol:

Actually, it's perfectly legal to drive with (a) handgun(s) in-hand(s), provided that you have a valid Ohio Concealed Handgun License (or one from a state with reciprocity).

You can spin it with your finger in the trigger-guard for all the law cares. No joke!

The selfie part, though, is a bit shady.....

There's a number of NE-Ohio municipalities that frowns on non hands-free devices.

Ohio regulations are like being in another country when compared to Cali. It really seems so nice and easy.

If the weapon is accessible to the driver - FAIL. If there are rounds in the same vicinity as the weapon - FAIL. I dont drive a single vehicle with a trunk. I leave the weapons in one bag with a padlock on the bag. The ammo is in another separate padlocked bag. Sometimes I keep the unloaded mags in a third separate padlocked bag. Basically, because the vehicles have no trunk it is officers discretion. So, I dont give them any reason to discriminate. :spin::spin::spin:

Ohio regulations are like being in another country when compared to Cali. It really seems so nice and easy.

If the weapon is accessible to the driver - FAIL. If there are rounds in the same vicinity as the weapon - FAIL. I dont drive a single vehicle with a trunk. I leave the weapons in one bag with a padlock on the bag. The ammo is in another separate padlocked bag. Sometimes I keep the unloaded mags in a third separate padlocked bag. Basically, because the vehicles have no trunk it is officers discretion. So, I dont give them any reason to discriminate. :spin::spin::spin:

I have loaded magazines in the same bag as my guns. Of course not in the weapon just in their own compartment and have the whole bag locked

Yeah even w/o a CHL (In Ohio, no clue or desire to know or move to CA to know ther laws)you can transport ammo and gun same bag as long as it's in separate close able compartments in the trunk. For me that means the SCCY or a LC9 can be tucked away in this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-Belt-Pouch-GP-45830N13/204853191

Edited by Merc6

I have loaded magazines in the same bag as my guns. Of course not in the weapon just in their own compartment and have the whole bag locked

And I am in california also.

I also lucc (locked unloaded conceal carry) a pistol when going to work. I have to leave it in the car as work has no weapons policy but otherwise also legal w/o ccw license. Since california doesnt have a destination requirement for firearms. As long as u r traveling from one legal place to another and follow all transporting laws it is gtg

Sprank for a guy with the amount of guns u do I would have thought u would be more well versed in CA gun laws ;)

Have any you guys shot the CZP09 yet? I've been trying to find one to shoot locally. I love my M&P but CZ makes some nice stuff too!

I haven't shot a P-09 yet, but had a P-07 for a long while. The P-01 is my favorite and EDC though, rotated with the RAMI from time to time.

Picked up a SIG P320 full size in 9mm. Another 4 bills gone http://www.glockforum.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Sent the following picture to my son. The Beretta will be his once I find a non-threaded barrel (I have a spare somewhere) and he gets approval to keep it on base.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/chowser51att/IMG_2807_zpsghoqy2uz.jpg

And I am in california also.

I also lucc (locked unloaded conceal carry) a pistol when going to work. I have to leave it in the car as work has no weapons policy but otherwise also legal w/o ccw license. Since california doesnt have a destination requirement for firearms. As long as u r traveling from one legal place to another and follow all transporting laws it is gtg

Sprank for a guy with the amount of guns u do I would have thought u would be more well versed in CA gun laws ;)

A locked and unloaded weapon that can be accessed by the driver is legal. But only in certain circumstances. However, it is frowned upon by our local Sheriff and law enforcement. If you want to push your luck, you can. But I am not a prosecutor, so I dont push it. I dont carry one gun to the range, I usually take 4 or more. Which means plenty of ammo too.

I also dont understand your reasoning. A locked and unloaded gun is not concealed carry. Far from it. If it is not loaded with a live round in the chamber and on your person, its not concealed carry and you might as well not carry a gun.

The only gun that is going to save your tush is the one thats live and loaded in your hand when the pooh hits the fan. I dont get having unloaded guns for protection.

A locked and unloaded gun is not concealed carry. Far from it. If it is not loaded with a live round in the chamber and on your person, its not concealed carry and you might as well not carry a gun.

IIRC, CA law does not distinguish between loaded/unloaded for carrying 'concealed'... same violation, regardless. But it's been a long time since I fled that sh*thole.

On the practical side of things, carrying a semi-auto without a loaded chamber is stupid. There's no safety rationale to justify it with modern guns, and it will be useless when you need it most.

So, to get off the legal discussion for a bit:

Back in the V2 thread l posted this in June, and it's time for an update...

So, a while back I bought an M&P CORE, as I was getting back into competition shooting and I had an interest in running the new USPSA division called Carry Optics. Basically stock guns, but red dot sights are OK. I also wanted to evaluate the current state of the art for pistol mounted optics. I'm turning into a farsighted old fart, and I can no longer get a sharp focus on my front sight without readers. I love a dot sight on my AR, and wanted to see how well I could shoot with one on a pistol.

I ordered up a Burris Fastfire III last week, and installed it on my M&P, which took all of 5 minutes...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/20160601_132336_zpszc4vlxy7.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/20160601_133529_zpsnureouds.jpg

I took it out to the range, and it took all of about 10 rounds to sight in. Once zeroed, I shot a quick 5 rounds from the 25yd line... all of which stayed in the hit zone of the head on a TQ21 target. I don't think I could have done that from 25 yds with the irons, so at this point, I was pretty pleased.

Yesterday was the first match I shot with it. Not so happy anymore... Sight wouldn't stay turned on for more than 4-6 shots, so after the first two threats, I was shooting a big ghost ring, with no front sight...

Fiddled with it for the first three stages (did the same thing), and finally figured I would have a dot for the first two threats and then nothing. Of course, for the fourth stage, it stayed on, which really screwed me up...

So, it's on it's way back for a replacement, which hopefully will work properly. When researching online, I came across lots of good reviews, so hopefully it's a fluke. It's really just a test of concept for me... if I shoot well with a dot, I'll spring for a Trijicon RMR.

Funny footnote... I still won the Carry Optics division, and came 13th of 37 overall in the match...

So, I received a replacement FastFire, which has worked perfectly for over 500 rounds at this point. Kudos to MidwayUSA for prompt and courteous service on the replacment.

Unfortunately, I've decided I just don't like it. While it's excellent at longer ranges, and allows me to be more precise over irons (I can't get a sharp focus on the front sight without readers), I'm much faster and more accurate at closer ranges with the irons. The go/no go distance for me seems to be ~15 yards. At that distance or greater it's a benefit, and faster than irons to get good hits. Up close I find myself loosing the dot and just point shooting through the hoop. I can do that with irons and get better accuracy because I can still see the front sight, which I can't with the optic mounted. If I take the time to find the dot for every shot, it's just slow.

I've shot several matches with it, and a bunch of training rounds, and I shot USPSA with it yesterday as it's "fly or die" match. I did manage 8th overall out of around 40 shooters, but I'm done with the experiment. It's coming off the gun, and I ordered a set of irons with a fiber optic front from Dawson Precision. I'll put the FastFire on the Ruger 10/22 Takedown I'm about to order... ;)

TLDR:

Thought a slide mounted red dot may work well for my aging eyes. It didn't.

Works well at longer ranges, easier to be more accurate than irons. Great in low light.

Slower than irons up close (for an experienced shooter).