LegacyGT.com

Done with Mishimoto radiator and hoses

Both the Koyo and Mishimoto are available in standard core thickness (stock size) and extra-capacity versions. The extra capacity is really not necessary on a street driven car. Trimming both ends of the upper hose usually provides adequate clearance, but it is possible that individual tolerances, worn engine or radiator mounts, or other aftermarket parts may reduce the clearance such that contact between the hose and fan or P/S pulley may occur. The surest way to eliminate this problem is a standard thickness radiator, as the OP is considering.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mishimoto hose clearance with fan. Radiator is KoyoRad HyperV (I thought silicon didn't expand like the OEM ones?)

http://i.imgur.com/S1U44fN.jpg

To rear pulley

http://i.imgur.com/jIQMQCl.jpg

That's what I'm after!

Hey I had these issues with the stock hose! You can actually modify the fans to get more clearance, and pull the radiator forward to get more clearance.

See the top how you have a gap (like in Rhitter's picture)? Yeah we're going to get rid of that.

Take a step drill bit and drill out the mounting tab on the fan. You want to make it the hole BIGGER than the mounting nub on the radiator, but SMALLER than the bolt flange. This allows the fan to move closer to the radiator.

The other thing you can do is get the GrimmSpeed cooling panel. Its radiator mounts are slotted so you can pull the entire thing forward.

I had to do both to get clearance from both the fans and power steering pulley. Still took trimming, but it was much easier.

To all the posters who think trimming hoses is the answer: you are not understanding my problem. With that big Mishi radiator in my car, there is no room for any hose expansion. It's not that the hose won't fit; it's that once it gets up to temperature and and the hose expands at all, it hits the fan. Silicon hoses aren't bulletproof; they do expand. Look at the pictures I posted. There is less than 1/8 of an inch clearance on either side of that upper hose. My fan didn't get bigger, and that pulley didn't get bigger. If you've had exactly the same set up in your car for two or three years with no problems, God bless you! I hope it lasts forever. Mine lasted two years of normal non-abusive driving, and failed. So I am not going to put it back exactly the same way it was and just hope for the best.

I need my cars to be able to go anywhere at any time without me worrying whether that system I modified is going to fail. So anything I change needs to be at or above OEM specs. Safety and reliability depend on well-engineered modifications. Placing a coolant hose within striking distance of a spinning fan or pulley is not a well-engineered modification, it's a problem waiting to happen. I am not interested in driving a grenade with the pin pulled out. I'm looking for a better solution, and it seems like Toyo has my answer.

So here's what I am doing: Koto part number VH2778. Specs show 36mm deep, and claim OEM fitment. They specifically mention the space issues bigger radiators can cause. The Koyo is almost 3/4" thinner than the mishimoto in my car. That should be more than enough to leave clearance for hose expansion. Looks to be a well made product. We'll see. And I'm going back to OEM hoses.

Hopefully, if someone else tries to find a solution for this problem, they'll find this thread.

@OP, I guess for some reason I thought I had a thicker radiator. Turns out I have the KoyoRad VH2778. With that radiator you should be able to get the clearance I have.

Depends which rad also. The 3 core is thicker than the 2. If he has a 3 row, and people commenting have the 2, that's the difference. Gotta compare apples to apples. Looks like OP may have the 3 row, and that's why the hoses aren't fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based off the FS thread, he does have the 3 row. Here's another good picture from the FS thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218293&d=1445156558

Personally I'd still go with an aftermarket slim fan, before replacing with a plastic radiator. I understand your concern with zip ties, maybe you could run stainless steel zip ties, or come up with another mounting option as well.

*At the same time, I understand the appeal of being able to just put in a new radiator, and being done with it.

I have the three row Mishimoto with stock hoses trimmed to fit and stock fans. I drive the car hard and have never had an issue :iam:. I would make sure the radiator is fixed in the gromets under the front bumper and get some Gates OEM fit hoses then trim to fit. I believe it is 1.5" off the upper hose and 1" from the lower hose. I've also worked on H20 mans old car although that was before the Mishimoto radiator was installed. I vacuumed a mouse nest out from under the intake manifold and installed the catless uppipe on the car. It was in fabulous shape when I was working on it. You're welcome!

I thought slim fans were not as good as the stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After posting that I did come across some discussions about slim fans maybe causing problems, 3 row radiators being worse than 2 row radiators, aluminum radiators being bad because they leak, lots of stuff. I assumed running one slim fan would be ok, but maybe my assumption is wrong.

I have the three row Mishimoto with stock hoses trimmed to fit and stock fans. I drive the car hard and have never had an issue :iam:. I would make sure the radiator is fixed in the gromets under the front bumper and get some Gates OEM fit hoses then trim to fit. I believe it is 1.5" off the upper hose and 1" from the lower hose. I've also worked on H20 mans old car although that was before the Mishimoto radiator was installed. I vacuumed a mouse nest out from under the intake manifold and installed the catless uppipe on the car. It was in fabulous shape when I was working on it. You're welcome!

Cool! Wish I were there/you were here. I'm still looking for a shop here in Colorado Springs. He told me about the mouse nest, and thanks for the verification on the catless uppipe. I read about the issues with the OEM uppipe spewing stuff into the turbo, and another LGT owner looking under my hood said it still had the catted uppipe. I guess he was mistaken. Apparently, that may cause me a problem when getting this car smogged. Let's hope not. I'm told the OEM uppipe is expensive.

Car has an OEM STI catless Uppipe. We also took out the banjo bolt filter on the back of the passenger side head/oil feed. The filter was spotless when we removed it.

Thank you for clarifying this. H2Oman did tell me that the catless uppipe had been installed, but the Subaru guy who looked at it may have been looking for an aftermarket uppipe. Is the banjo bolt you mentioned the other one in the block, as opposed to the infamous one in the turbo oil feed? I read about that on a different thread here while looking for radiator info, wondering whether it had been removed.

The one we removed is the infamous banjo bolt that is for the turbo oil feed line off the back of the passenger side head right behind the Uppipe. It is the one most commonly referred to as the problem banjo bolt.

So the other one is not an issue?

If you are due for a Timing belt change go for it, if not, you pretty much get into to timing belt change procedures to get to it due to where it is located. You can unscrew it but not enough to remove or fully inspect it IIRC. The timing belt cover backing and cam gears need to come off.

You can cut off the raised part of the banjo bolt behind the cover, the bolt will then come out. Thanks to HAMMERDOWN for that tip. He has a thread and pictures here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can cut off the raised part of the banjo bolt behind the cover, the bolt will then come out. Thanks to HAMMERDOWN for that tip. He has a thread and pictures here.

"Here" link not working Maxx, let me help you out.:)

vvvv

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5355816&postcount=1097

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived