LegacyGT.com

Done with Mishimoto radiator and hoses

Before (left) and after (right). Koyo radiator has perfect fit and great quality! Much better now; there's even room for light to get through. 3 days and 125 miles; 85+ degrees outside, AC running, on / off boost, sitting in traffic plus highway miles. Temp gauge in the same spot as before. My only complaint is that I had to do it myself. Nobody wanted to put in parts they didn't buy.

EE32FBDC-DCE8-441E-B751-B5D118306E89_zpso2k6dwyw.thumb.jpg.d083e3f3d27d501f750143c82fed7167.jpg

8F3BB908-2AD0-4935-AB71-3E5077C7A955_zpsxdqnq5af.thumb.jpg.1a17d68b91f6de0d415ac0baaccf7f6b.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After posting that I did come across some discussions about slim fans maybe causing problems, 3 row radiators being worse than 2 row radiators, aluminum radiators being bad because they leak, lots of stuff. I assumed running one slim fan would be ok, but maybe my assumption is wrong.

I never heard anything bad about aluminum radiators.

I cannot believe this thread or the length of it

Just trim the friggin hose man

I feel retarded after reading this crap

Is this for real lol

Im almost thinking this is trolling

Well, my young friend, if I were as smart as you apparently are, I would have saved $330.00 and two weeks' time. Gee; just trim the hoses? Why didn't I think of that? Or the dealer, who spent four hours and two hoses in an effort to get paid? If you took the time to actually read the text and look at the pictures, you might be able to see that there is no clearance. No amount of trimming will fix that. Trolling with photos to show the problem? That's an ingenious troll.

Uh yeah

If you were smart as i

Youd have installed the damn thing yourself instead of signing up for rape from some stealership

Lol

And im 34

Just not retarded

And honestly i think its funny you try to bash mishimoto when there is nothing wrong with the radiators they make for our cars

Just issues with the people who mess up installs

Uh yeah

If you were smart as i

Youd have installed the damn thing yourself instead of signing up for rape from some stealership

Lol

And im 34

Just not retarded

And honestly i think its funny you try to bash mishimoto when there is nothing wrong with the radiators they make for our cars

Just issues with the people who mess up installs ��

Does anyone think this is helpful or necessary?

Rapture, I did install it myself. Again; read the posts.

I tried to get the dealership to do it because they came highly recommended, and I can afford to pay for that convenience. I've been building my own cars since 1985. At this point I can choose what projects I want to tackle, and which ones I'd rather pay someone else to do. Maybe when you're 62, you'll feel that way too.

Now show me where I'm "bashing Mishimoto". The radiator was too big, period. That's all. Never said it was crap. You are not reading or understanding what is being said here. Let's not get into some stupid argument here. This forum is supposed to be about helpful information and community. Keep the insults and put-downs inside your head.

Uh ok

YOUR TITLE

Says

" DONE WITH MISHIMOTO"

Implying they are not a good brand or product

So i stand by my position

And if your really an old expert, youd never sign up for rape at some dealership

Nope

Sorry i dont buy the bs

I have friends that work for mishi

And ive got a bunch of the product line

Never had any issues

owners are.

late to chime in. i'm running the 2 core mish radiator. i forgot to cut the hose to allow for the thicker radiator when installing the rebuilt engine. the fan cut the hose on the track when i was pushing it. i bought a $10 hose, cut it to fit and added a guard in front of the pulley coming off the engine. it was a 10min project and cost $10. the 3 core radiators are great for the track, 2 core is the best upgrade over the stock plastic radiator for DD.

really you went to the deal for this issue?

14492412_10207207749301179_2887056339268367427_n.jpg.851551d5ae8e35a5e7caf4692070edca.jpg

Yes, I really did. I moved to Colorado from Missouri in June, and when the truck was literally too full for anything else, I gave my 18 year old gear head neighbor my big floor jack, creeper, jack stands and oil change container, because he was using cheap, unsafe tools in his moms garage. So when this issue came up, to do it myself I had to buy all that stuff again, then find the space to do the work. Cuz the garage is still full of furniture.That's one reason. The other reason is that since I recently moved here, I don't have a local mechanic I trust. But to be truthful, I like Hueberger Subaru. My extended family has purchased more than 6 cars from them, and their record with regard to service has been very good. Additionally, their techs are recommended on this forum. "Stealership" used to be my opinion, too, when it came to factory service. But at this point in my life, I've been wrenching my cars since I was 18. That's 44 years of grease and fun. Let's just say I've lost my desire for the grease part. But I just bought a 16-drawer tool chest, so whatever...I guess I'm still wrenching, since I did the radiator swap. But I didn't want to do it.

I have been running that same Mishimoto radiator for about 4 years now on my 2005. I did have to trim the hose to keep the fan from hitting it. I went back and double checked after reading this thread and it is still clearing everything. Every car could be a bit different, so perhaps your is different enough. But trimming the hose worked fine for me. (using a standard hose )

Ok

I didnt mean to come off rude or whatever

But now that i see your circumstances

I can understand your point of view

I just wouldve posted a much diff title

Maybe one like hey my hose is rubbing this is my issues

How can i fix it instead

I think it was the title you chose for your thread that got me upset

Cause i know mishi is a stand up company that backs the stuff they sell

Might not be the absolute best

But u get what you pay for

Maybe the more expensive koyo is a lil better

But

Mishi has a great lifetime warranty that they stand behind

So is it really any diff?

idk after reading about so many true horror stories over the years with other companys

I got a lil defensive

Not meant to insult u

Ok

I didnt mean to come off rude or whatever

But now that i see your circumstances

I can understand your point of view

I just wouldve posted a much diff title

Maybe one like hey my hose is rubbing this is my issues

How can i fix it instead

I think it was the title you chose for your thread that got me upset

Cause i know mishi is a stand up company that backs the stuff they sell

Might not be the absolute best

But u get what you pay for

Maybe the more expensive koyo is a lil better

But

Mishi has a great lifetime warranty that they stand behind

So is it really any diff?

idk after reading about so many true horror stories over the years with other companys

I got a lil defensive

Not meant to insult u

I feel like I'm reading a poem here. interesting formatting! :lol:

owners are.

late to chime in. i'm running the 2 core mish radiator. i forgot to cut the hose to allow for the thicker radiator when installing the rebuilt engine. the fan cut the hose on the track when i was pushing it. i bought a $10 hose, cut it to fit and added a guard in front of the pulley coming off the engine. it was a 10min project and cost $10. the 3 core radiators are great for the track, 2 core is the best upgrade over the stock plastic radiator for DD.

Do you have photos of the guard you made? Not a bad idea for that extra bit of insurrance.

Brian

2007 Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, Stage 2, ID1000, DW300C, Cobb Uppipe & Catted Downpipe. Tuned by Graham

1998 Legacy 2.5GT Premium 5MT

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my top hose.

Last night I pulled it off and could see where the fan had hit it. That's when I adjusted it a few months back, but still had it close to the PS pump pulley.

Last evening it was a nice weather so I took my time and made sure I positioned the engine end of the hose so I had more clearance with that pulley. When I put the radiator side on I made sure to rotate the hose up and tighten the clamp. Looks like I should have more gap with the fan now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

+1. Agreed. WTF? Cut the coolant hoses already .... Too Funny.

I cannot believe this thread or the length of it

Just trim the friggin hose man

I feel retarded after reading this crap

Is this for real lol

Im almost thinking this is trolling

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

+1. Agreed. WTF? Cut the coolant hoses already .... Too Funny.

This is becoming a very tiring thread. I put it up so people who are looking for this information (someone's experience with a 2-row rad and no clearance) would know that it CAN be an issue. In SOME cars. Did you look at the photos I posted? Having less than 1/8" on each side of the hose is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe those Mishimoto hoses are slightly bigger in diameter; maybe not. It really isn't the point. The hose EXPANDED and hit the fan. It ran fine with no issues for at least 6 months or so, and then the sh*t "hit the fan". Even the dealership didn't fix it, and they spent 450.00 worth of their time and parts trying. Chris at Heuberger is a very competent tech; he has worked on this car a few times and done a great job. I was able to fix it myself by using a Koyo rad and OEM hoses. And the Subaru hoses had to be trimmed to fit. All the people who say "just trim the hose" are not reading the first post, and are just blathering on because they think they have the answer, and here's a guy who's not smart enough to do the obvious. Or maybe they're just trying to increase their posting total....

As someone who agreed with cutting the hoses I had just installed my two layer radiator it was very possible that if you didn't trim the hoses correctly the fan would hit the hose without expansion. I also had no idea mishimoto made a three layer radiator. The two layer is significantly thicker than the OEM one already and leaves room to be desired for the fans and belts. The best thing you can do is edit your first post with all the information you got to solve your problem so the next person won't have to go through all the time it took for you to solve it and prevent any mis information from spreading from this thread in the future.

Archived