LegacyGT.com

Are intake and exhaust upgrades worth it?

Depends if you want catted or catless. Catless is cheaper. I went with the grimmspeed divorced wastegate catted downpipe and have been very pleased. For reference, The first time I got tuned I put in a grimmspeed catted DP, catless up (you can leave yours, 09 is already catless), grimmspeed intake, 3" catback, and a vf52 ;) and made 263 awhp/270awtq with a dyno tune from tuning alliance. They are great guys there and will take care of you. Check out this thread where tuning alliance and myself were comparing the stock intake/stock filter, stock intake, k&n filter, and the grimmspeed intake. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/independent-testing-grimmspeed-intake-246447.html?t=246447&highlight=intake

whooshy noises are always a plus!:lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invidia DP is a quality piece, I have two of them.

rangO, you only got 262/270 with a vf52. I have a stock intake, with ported heads, 3" dp, stock mid-pipe and Mike got 280/300 on ESP's mustang dyno out of my wagon. That was with the IPR tmic. Now have a GS.

Yes, had to cut the splitter in the dp on both cars. you can see the one from my wagon here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/100-000-miles-invidia-up-pipe-256911.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll just throw this in here, go e85 if you want big power gains. In Denver we can run that on stock injectors, don't know if you can at lower elevations.

I was always the believer that stock mufflers performed almost as well upgraded mufflers, but I don't believe that anymore. My transient response is way better with upgraded mufflers. Peak numbers may be close, but the feel through the powerband is completely different.

The intake is 4 sq.in at the inlet and a 3" diameter pipe at the outlet, it's fine. The inlet tube is a different story. I've heard people say it makes no difference, but it made a big difference for me. After the inlet tube I was seeing boost spikes after hitting the throttle and holding boost higher in the powerband.

No matter how much you might want to keep the stock intercooler, it's going to separate and leak boost. It also doesn't have the mass of metal to soak up heat from the intake charge like the Grimmspeed or PW.

Group N motor mounts will also take some of the engine flex away and put more power to the pavement without causing any undue NVH.

Lastly, your vacuum lines are brittle at this point. Replace them with nice new vacuum lines and then run a boost leak test.

I've always been a fan of invidia catted (or catless depending on your state). Always get the extra 02 bung, its 20 bucks and if you use it great, if not, no big deal atleast you dont have to weld a bung in for a wideband downt he road. Comes plugged.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What others have said- intake is worthless (other than whoosh noises), unless your pushing big power. In fact you'll most likely get boost creep with an an aftermarket intake on pretty much all VF series turbos as the waste gate can't flow enough. Downpipes are kinda personal preference, my Cobb catted DP has seen years of abuse on track and is still fine. I'd go catted, you're leaving minimal power on the table and not being douchey to the environment :)

You're darn tootin'! I have a Cobb SF on mine :p

I jumped in on the GS intake with the ECBS group buy combo. Before that I had the AEM (with proper tune) and something about the high pitched howl that thing lets off from behind the glove box area. I ditched the AEM due to the scoop leaking water down to the filter causing all kinda maf voltage issues.

Invidia DP is a quality piece, I have two of them.

rangO, you only got 262/270 with a vf52. I have a stock intake, with ported heads, 3" dp, stock mid-pipe and Mike got 280/300 on ESP's mustang dyno out of my wagon. That was with the IPR tmic. Now have a GS.

Yes, had to cut the splitter in the dp on both cars. you can see the one from my wagon here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/100-000-miles-invidia-up-pipe-256911.html

That's on stock fueling too.

Yeah so this was my first dyno-tune. I had TGV deletes as well. Come to find out my OEM stock clutch was slipping. Got a stage 2 comp clutch kit a week after being tuned, stock clutch was already worn/slipping bad and couldn't handle it. I also had the stock TMIC, and stock fueling (I know you are running stock fueling now too) when I was dyno'd. I think we were around 17psi with my previously posted hp/tq numbers peak after that dyno-session and street tune.

Now I've gone to GS TMIC, perring inlet, dw65c, GS EBCS, arp head studs and have been street tuning and e-tuning with mike. Around 21psi and probably putting similar numbers as you now. Also got fortune auto coilovers and other whiteline bushings since then too. Pretty happy with where its at now.

Right after turning up the boost to 21, headgaskets started going, so that gave me an excuse to do the arp head studs. Now im just trusting the stock block (141k) and mike's magic tuning powers at this point. Only issue I noticed when doing headgaskets was some scoring on the cam caps... must have ran a little too low on oil at some point.

All in all; to OP, catted DP, intake, exhaust and custom tune will really wake up the car. 10/10 would recommend. Although these cars can be a money pit...FYI.

rangO thanks for the update, I feel better now. Can't say enough how much fun the car is to drive.

OP, follow our lead. My 09 Spec B has a Invidia cated dp, GS tmic and stock turbo and fueling with a ebc and Mikes street tune 18psi, it's nice but the step up to the vf52 in the wagon is night and day difference.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I am on a similar situation as the OP. I have a 08 LGT.

I have been reading the post here and to sum up. The very basic thing you can do to improve performance is to get a 3inch downpipe and then get the car tuned? No need for a catback exhaust since the factory exhaust are decent?

What will happen if i decide to add a catback exhaust afterwards? Will i need another tune to get the benefits of it?

Sorry, if the questions are quite noobish.

Thanks solidxsnake!

How much HP would I likely to gain with just a downpipe upgrade and a tune?

Also, what should i be looking for when picking a downpipe (besides being 3 inch)? People here on the forums seems to go with Invidia or Grimspeed as their preferred brand. I am in NZ and these ones are not really easy to find.

Thanks solidxsnake!

Also, what should i be looking for when picking a downpipe (besides being 3 inch)? People here on the forums seems to go with Invidia or Grimspeed as their preferred brand. I am in NZ and these ones are not really easy to find.

Downpipe and tune should net you around 40whp and wtq. You will gain more torque than horse.

As for brand of downpipe, generally people recommend catted ones for issues like boost creep, smell, and its greener. Good brands are Cobb, Invidia, and Grimmspeed.

Thanks solidxsnake!

Is MRT Performance exhaust easier to obtain? Have no real knowledge of them outside of YouTube videos. It seems closer to you than the USA.

Ye, its probably easier. I will contact them and see if they can ship to NZ. Thanks for the tip!

There used to be Paul from AVO autoworld if I recall about 8 or 9 years ago.

try http://www.avojdm.com/ or google search for AVO auto world.

http://www.avoturbo.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Took my car to Cobb Surgeline in Portland yesterday to get the downpipe installed and a dyno tune done. Even though the torque convertor is inflating the engine torque numbers, the tech is estimating peak engine torque to be about 320-330 ft/lbs with full boost.

http://i.imgur.com/n6mbVW2l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/auw6Xktl.jpg?1

Archived