LegacyGT.com

Are intake and exhaust upgrades worth it?

Long story short, I picked up a 2009 LGT about a year ago. When I got it, the tires were bald, the brakes were worn, and the suspension was less than ideal (cut springs.....). Since then, I have gotten new tires, new rotors and pads, as well as new strut towers, springs and sways. Now, the car rides perfectly, but I am getting the itch to start changing things again.

This might seem like a crazy question, but would it be worth it to upgrade the intake and exhaust on a 7 year old LGT? Was thinking CAI and catback. I don't know exactly what I might want or what I am trying to achieve, but a little bit of a performance boost wouldn't hurt.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a tune to get any performance out of it. Unless you're going for a bigger turbo as well, skip the intake since the stock intake is plenty good for stock turbo flow rates. Downpipe, catback and tune will wake up the car from stock. Even just a new map without the mods will make the car a little more driveable.

The only reason to get a different intake than stock with the stock turbo is for the whooshy noises :lol:

I don't know exactly what I might want or what I am trying to achieve, but a little bit of a performance boost wouldn't hurt.

Having a goal in mind with these cars when it comes to power upgrades is very helpful in the long run. As solidxsnake mentioned you need a tune to see performance gains. That is to say a tune on a stock car will see a small performance and driveability boost, and any performance parts added will require a tune to take advantage of them.

A downpipe and a tune seems to be the thing to do if your looking to wake it up a bit. You can add a catback to that to get the sound your looking for. And yes the CAI is just for show, the stock system flows very well until a lot of other upgrades are performed.

Checking the general health of the engine wouldn't be a bad idea before upgrades either. Compression/leakdown test should suffice. How's your oil consumption and have you checked for and removed any of the banjo bolt filters for the turbo oil feed? Just some things to keep in mind. The last thing you want is to drop some coin and find out you have bigger issues when you start power tuning. People are still modding cars that are 50 years old, why not mod your 7yr old car if you have the itch?

Leave the stock intake on the car, it is good till about 400whp.

Put a 3" down pipe on and get the car tuned. That's all you really need to do.

The exhaust is fine from the DP back. You'll gain noise and little HP with a exhaust.

You have a 09 so the banjo filters are not as much of an issue as 05-06. My 09 still has them in, my 05 has them removed.

When you change the tmic go with the Grimmspeed tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ everything max said.

Also as mentioned, the stock intake is the best option until you need more flow than it can provide (aka big turbo), at which point you need a larger diameter anyway like kstech megamaf options. any other aftermarket intake just just a noise maker and may even bring in hotter intake temps than the stock one.

Why Grimspeed?

Leave the stock intake on the car, it is good till about 400whp.

Put a 3" down pipe on and get the car tuned. That's all you really need to do.

The exhaust is fine from the DP back. You'll gain noise and little HP with a exhaust.

You have a 09 so the banjo filters are not as much of an issue as 05-06. My 09 still has them in, my 05 has them removed.

When you change the tmic go with the Grimmspeed tmic.

The Grimmspeed TMIC has been redesigned, similar to the ProcessWest but a better layout. Improved flow with the hood scoop. I would upgrade to it but want to remain stock TMIC.

Interesting, I was going to say I thought Process West was the way to go. What are the reviews on the Verticooler or can it be used on the Legacy?

Best value for squeezing out additional performance: DP and AP, then OTS tune (preloaded on AP) or protune. Optional equipment that would supplement nicely: EBCS and larger TMIC.

All that should take you to ~250whp.

As others have mentioned, stock intake is good until you're making much more. CBE is mostly sound and aesthetics, and not much of a concern with regards to power.

Thanks for the all the information and suggestions!

I think you know where to go next...in case you don't here,

Grimmspeed is the way to go for tmic route on these cars! (which are currently on sale with us btw).

-B

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I can't even find this intercooler on your website...

Don't worry about the site, just PM Brian, he can you most any part.

Just do what I do with Underdog, just PM him and tell him what you think you want, or ask him to send you what he would use on his car. That also works with Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

I can't even find this intercooler on your website...

Website is currently mid re-design, its a bit outdated. Send me a PM.

Don't worry about the site, just PM Brian, he can you most any part.

[/url]

^this, or facebook message us =)

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Archived