LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big convert to the Meguiar's NXT tech wax. Looks great and lasts 3 months. Made my garnet red LGT look a bit deeper and richer. I love the way the water sheets off the paint with a coat of this stuff on it. I've used the Meguiras 3 step products and substituted the NXT with the normal step 3 wax (which never really impressed me) with excellent results.

OCDetails,

Just wondering if you've ever tried Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield on top of Klasse or similar product. Does it help add additional shine?

Ken

That product and Klasse SG are really similar. You won't notice a huge difference in appearance or durability between the two. It is a really durable and long lasting shine. They are both acrylic sealants and will give you that 'polished rock' looking appearance. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to make your paint look a little 'wetter' then you'd want to top it with a carnauba most likely.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm going to chime in and comment that NXT does indeed rock. I put a coat on when I bought the car in June, and in September it still looked just as good and beaded water just as well as the day i put it on. The fall and winter rains are upon us here in Seattle, so I put on a new coat about a week ago in between raindrops. :) Hopefully it'll last until the next time we see the sun, which could be March ...

You might want to apply another coat between this next one and March. Winter weather is harsher on sealants than summer is. The salt and grit from the roads will wear it off faster. My feeling is that if I have a thick enough layer of sealant on the car then perhaps all the scratches that happen from ice sliding off my car will just clean right off in the winter because they won't be able to get to the paint. My logic may be flawed, but Spring cleanup is always easier on cars that were protected properly in the Winter.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That product and Klasse SG are really similar. You won't notice a huge difference in appearance or durability between the two. It is a really durable and long lasting shine. They are both acrylic sealants and will give you that 'polished rock' looking appearance. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to make your paint look a little 'wetter' then you'd want to top it with a carnauba most likely.

I agree that both offer a similar appearance and durability. The HGAS does seem to provide a slightly more "slick" surface however.

One thing that I've been wondering about (based on your WOWO comment from a different topic) is how the HGAS could have time to bond if it's a spray and wipe product. Should it be left on for some time before wiping off?

Ken

The drying time for SG is more so you can actually see where the product is and for ease of buffing it off. Until it hazes it just smears all over the place. It is much easier to remove if it has hazed and that usually takes 45 minutes or so. Since HGAS isn't designed the same way I don't imagine it would have the same problem. It's just a difference in technology. SG has been around for 25+ years and hasn't changed an awful lot in that time. Menzerna is only a couple years old and is using the latest technology. Detailer's Pride also just released a spray sealant that works very well. It's a polymer and not an acrylic though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just finished waxing my car. Based on OCdetails recommendations, I used Wolfgangs Pre Wax, and Sealant. I just want to say that this product rocks!!! I don't have pictures, but the car looks awesome. It not only has that wet look but feels like butter. Just great stuff. Thank OCdetails for the great recommendation.

OCDetails,

I'm wondering if you've ever used Dura Shine? And If you have what is your opinion of it.

I used it years ago when I first got my RS. Now that I have a new LGT I was considering using it again.

http://www.jlryan.com/Main/product.asp?ProdCode=AUDS1-12&Source=OVER&OVRAW=dura-shine&OVKEY=dura%20shine&OVMTC=standard

http://www.autobarn.net/col23403-06.html

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Dura Shine is pretty old school. I honestly don't know anybody who still uses that. The detailers I know who have been around long enough to have used it at one time have moved on to other products. I started in this industry 8 years ago and Dura Shine was old news then too. Sorry I can't be of much help there. You might be able to get more help from a forum like detailcity.com. There are some detailers there who have been around longer than me that might know the answer.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Do everythign right...and this is what you get...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9291/carwash5rt.th.jpg

So how did I do OCDetails? (I did the process I mentioned in the PM about a month ago)I just washed it and buffed it up really good w/ some microfibers..and an occasional mist of QD....All those shiny car pics inspired me to shine her up better than usual :lol:

Hey, that looks awesome! That is exactly what silver car owners need to see. You may never get the reflections that black gets, but they'll never get what you have in that picture. That looks like it was just painted and is still wet. Great job!

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

OCDetails, I followed some of your tips and detailed my car last weekend.

It could be better if I was more thorough, and of course it doesn't look as impressive on a white car. But I think the Wolfgang Paint Sealant shines & reflects better than the Meguiar's yellow wax I have. I'm impressed so far.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11195

Do you think it would look better after applying a 2nd layer of the sealant?

EDIT -- Oops, I didn't use the pre-wax.

That looks really good. I know what you mean about white. My last car was white and it was tough to get it reflecting like I wanted. I experimented with a lot of products and I really liked what Wolfgang looked like with more than 2 coats. 3 is about the limit of the appearance gains, but you can go as many as you want. I'd get at least 2 on though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

S100 isn't a sealant. It is just a carnauba wax. Since it is a paste product it is a little tricky to apply with a PC. I wouldn't recommend it. Use the PC for liquid products like Wolfgang or any liquid wax. With paste waxes you should just use a foam pad. Those yellow round ones are what I use.

OCDETAILS BLOG

If you are ordering from PAC then I'd go for Pinnacle Signature. It looks awesome on silver. If I had my choice of waxes (which I usually do ;)) then I'd grab that for a silver car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCDtails, I ordered the Wolfgang sealant kit, but PAC can't ship it to California. I have a white car (I know), should I use Klasse sealant & carnauba (which one) to enhance the shine, or should I just get the Four Star UPP, & Gloss Enhancer? I like to have deep, wet looks...:D Thanks in advance for your advise!

I read the first post.....and I must say.... that that's just plain impressive!

What's more impressive though.... is that you're sharing this info with us.... AGAIN! I've been to detailers who charge an arm & a leg... and then when asked about tips & tricks simply reply with "Bring it back to us" or "trade secrets" so they can rake in more money!

Anthony..... j00 is the maing..... maing! Is it possible to ship a 12 pack of beer via FedEx ground? Cause I feel like buying you a 12 pack!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I'd go for the Four Star UPP and Gloss Enhancer. That looks great on white. A good carnauba on top really adds a lot to UPP too. I'd suggest S100. You can get it at any local Harley Davidson shop. It is marketed towards motorcycles, but it is basically the same stuff as P21S. S100 is just half as expensive. I'm sure there is a difference somewhere, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, 3 layers of UPP and then a layer of S100 would look outstanding on white.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived