LegacyGT.com

any regrets?

You had asked earlier about performance. In acceleration a Stage II Legacy can easily dispatch a stock STI. So it will cost you less than 1,500 to get to that point:)

To out handle the STI....now that is a diff. story, it can be done but it will run more than the 1500 you have spent on engine mods;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they don't solve the stutter on the Legacy, my next car will either be a WRX (assuming it doesn't have the same issue) or I may consider switching brands.

That's the only reason I would consider moving to a WRX.

I guess it's an age thing. I'm 24 years old, and I guess I still have boy racer blood in me :)

How well can you tune this car anyway? Is it possible to out perform the STi? Perform as in acceleration, handling, cornering.. etc etc

Who cares? I'm 22 and I prefer the size of the legacy, the comfort, the more mature/refined look and drive compared to the racier WRX and STI/i (whatever they call it these days).

The stealth factor helps immeasurably too, and insurance sure is better.

Eles1, the stage 1 accessPort helps alot with the stutter as well as modifying your driving style (not a slam just a point). You just need to be a bit smoother and consistent in your shifting.

As to regrets? None. I originally went looking at the STI, but when I realized the more than a few pounds I gained since my '98 Outback sport made more of a difference in the STI than the LGT it was a done deal---especially concidering this is my daily driver. Yeah the handling isn't as good, heck I think the handling in my friends '05 Outback Sport is better, but the overall package is much more conducive to my lifestyle. Nice style, bunch of options and decent performance. Add all that in to the reliability and I think it is a good package.

Besides, after driving a '03 Phoenix Yellow M3 for a couple years you get tired of everyone calling you out on the road ;)

My biggest regret is the stuttering. I don't think adapting my driving style is helping either. Little throttle, big throttle, medium throttle, it just does it when it wants to, and it isn't always around shifting (i.e., puttering along at 20mph and then traffic speeds up, light/medium throttle application, then stutter). It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens often enough during my commute in heavy traffic that it detracts from some of the fun of the car.

I really do not expect a car of this caliper to have this kind of problem. (My ECU has already been reflashed by SOA.) The ECU really doesn't deal well with the onset of boost during gentle acceleration and feels like it tries to compensate, but overdoes it, and this can happen several times over a couple seconds. Yuck.

Otherwise, I love the car, and it can be very addictive to drive when you are not in this sometimes dead band of 2500-3300.

Eles1, the stage 1 accessPort helps alot with the stutter as well as modifying your driving style (not a slam just a point). You just need to be a bit smoother and consistent in your shifting.

I have an AP and actually, I'm fairly good at handling a manual transmission. But thanks for the advice;)

The fact is, the stuttering is a design defect that shouldn't be present on a $25k+ car (or any car, for that matter).

Didn't mean to re-direct this thread, but that's my opinion. If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider the WRX.

My biggest regret is the stuttering. I don't think adapting my driving style is helping either. Little throttle, big throttle, medium throttle, it just does it when it wants to, and it isn't always around shifting (i.e., puttering along at 20mph and then traffic speeds up, light/medium throttle application, then stutter). It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens often enough during my commute in heavy traffic that it detracts from some of the fun of the car.

It's not your driving style. This has been discussed approximately 1,000,000 times in this forum :p

Hehehe with the accessport never launch at lower than 4k and slam all the gears....Smooth as silk j/k.

I would have to agree though, when I did first get the car it did seem "choppy". Maybe I am just used to it.

Oh one regret...I really liked the STI two tone seats and 6-speed better.

I think I'm too young or my blood just boils with speed. Not only the looks but after reading all the performance and enthusiast mags there aren't that many options for the legacy either.

I'm sure you can outperform a stock STi, but I highly doubt it will ever outperform a tuned STi, WRX, or EVO. The luxury is great; it's comfortable and a quiet ride, but I'm sure it will always be an underdog in performance than rally inspired machines like the EVO or WRX/STi.

I didn't buy the car. My parents were the ones paying for it. They didn't like the EVO or STi. They thought it was too sporty and even looked unsafe. They said the wings on both cars were a blinding factor and was unacceptable. I barely convinced them that the wing on the legacy was a safety feature. Plus my past driving record didn't help either. haha :)

I guess I can make peace with the fact that it does have a detuned STi engine in it, but I still doubt it has as much potential as the STi.

I hate silver too.

Oh, and the studdering SUCKS.

^^^ just be happy and glad that you have genereous parents that would buy you a Legacy GT. I wish I did! Anyway, I think you should enroll yourself in some competition driving clasees, or maybe join the local SCCA club inthe summer. I think you will find that speed is not everything, but if you learn every other aspect of drving you will enjoy yourself more while driving, as well as being a safer driver.

There will always be something faster and more powerful, but I like the balance that the Legacy GT has. I really would hate to have a STi or EVo mainly because of the bad attraction from people that it would have. i.e. cop, every teenager in a civic trying to race me, cops, thiefs, cops, etc. You get the idea.

X

---

Yeah, I guess I should be happy for getting any car at all.

please direct me to those pages with tuned legacies cuz this place is a jungle!

I can't even find the right HID/Angel Eyes through the search.

I always wanted to go to a racing school, but never had the time or money to. I guess it will help me appreciate what I have and also learn what I don't know.

The STI is built in Japan and it has the double din dash!

I could have the AVIC-D1 right now and not have the annoying quality issues. I would have paid approx. 7k more though...

oh well, I like the car, but all the issues are not acceptable.

Zero regrets here.

Like I want to be revved on by all Civics' while driving in my airplane-winged (look at me) STi, while also getting eyeballed by every cop in the city.

No Thanks. Fast GT wagons are the best thing to happen since VTEC:p :p

Zero regrets here.

Like I want to be revved on by all Civics' while driving in my airplane-winged (look at me) STi, while also getting eyeballed by every cop in the city.

No Thanks. Fast GT wagons are the best thing to happen since VTEC:p :p

don't acknowledge the revs and buy a radar detector.

I traded my last sports car for the GT wagon. I thought at the time I was done with impractical, rough riding, loud and expensive to mod cars.

Yes...as time passes the more I think of the STI that I passed up for the Leg. I now wish I would of bought it.

The funny thing is is now that my kids are out of the nest, I went and bought a wagon.

I dont understand it either.

Archived