LegacyGT.com

Turbo recommendation for ~450 wtq? Stock location...

FWIW my little BNR 16g performed quite well on E85 with my Perrin ELH. I can honestly say that the last 20k i've spent on my car has yielded a negative return on investment in terms of my driving enjoyment. That's one reason I'm obsessively trying to finish things out so that I can at least be glad I made the changes even if the cost was high.

I don't know how much the ELHs contributed to my power band with the 16g because I did all of the modifications at once. But the final product was fantastic on the street. Instant full boost on the interstate while cruising upon going full throttle. Massive torque peak for a small turbo on dyno runs (higher by airboy than my peak torque now, pending upcoming turbo tests).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW my little BNR 16g performed quite well on E85 with my Perrin ELH.

Yes, I also miss that turbo. I'm not saying I want to go back to that setup, but it was a really solid and reliable setup that ran with very little alteration for almost 60,000km, and the car was plenty quick. :sniff: :nostalgic:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I hate all you guys! :mad: Because of this damn conversation, now I'm seriously considering eliminating the major bottleneck in my setup and going ELH. My big ball bearing turbo would really come to life if even a 16g can pick up 20whp/wtq. Thanks jerks. I really need to spend more money. :spin:

I hate all you guys! :mad: Because of this damn conversation, now I'm seriously considering eliminating the major bottleneck in my setup and going ELH. My big ball bearing turbo would really come to life if even a 16g can pick up 20whp/wtq. Thanks jerks. I really need to spend more money. :spin:

Ha! I'm feeling the same way! But for some reason I am feeling really good about it this time.

Not sure why they dont just make them el from the start?

They do, on the 5th gen, VAG, SJ9... ;) Us early-adopters always get screwed.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Brief update - due to a back order in the Dom 2.5xt-r, we are going to use a 1.5 instead. Based upon the experience at Topspeed at least, I think it will make a worthy contender to the lineup.

They got a temporary used drive shaft in place so I'll call tomorrow to see if any early results are out. Be posting them as I get em.

Brief update - due to a back order in the Dom 2.5xt-r, we are going to use a 1.5 instead. Based upon the experience at Topspeed at least, I think it will make a worthy contender to the lineup.

They got a temporary used drive shaft in place so I'll call tomorrow to see if any early results are out. Be posting them as I get em.

See if they'll lend an ELH for the test as well! ;)

Sent from a device using some software.

Then just bear in mind that any of the turbos you test will do at least 20whp / 20wtq more on a decent header. So for example if you're about the reject the 1.5XTR because despite having the response you want it 'only' did 380whp when your target is 400... ;)

The 2.0 STi had equal length headers from the factory back in '03. Version 8 was the first OEM twin-scroll Suby IIRC. Another case of JDM > USDM.

As I recall, it was only the Spec C that had the twin-scroll setup in that year, but my memory isn't perfect.

As I recall, it was only the Spec C that had the twin-scroll setup in that year, but my memory isn't perfect.

IIRC, the spec C got VF37 BB; regular STi got VF36 JB... both EL/TS. Same disclaimer on the memory :lol:

MY03 JDM cars were already V8 blobeye. The V7 bugeye spec C got VF34 BB whereas regular STi got JB VF30.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Then just bear in mind that any of the turbos you test will do at least 20whp / 20wtq more on a decent header. So for example if you're about the reject the 1.5XTR because despite having the response you want it 'only' did 380whp when your target is 400... ;)

No worries. Where the peak torque occurs and, frankly, the rate of exponential change in torque - which obviously gives you that thrown back in your seat experience - is what I will be looking for from these turbos.

For example, while I am fine that the shop wants to try out the Tomei 8265, from all the dynos I've seen it will slowly climb torque mountain. So even if it hits the 'highest' numbers its the shape of the curve I care about.

Id like to see you try out that cavalli ceramic bb

Im all about ceramic bb

Made a big diff on my skateboard so im sure it translates to turbo

If you want ceramic ball bearings, the EFR turbos are the way to go. The Cavalli turbos seem impressive on paper, but their results do not look all that great. IIRC they had some quality issues too with the initial batch.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2695609

First tune is complete. Just via phone call but I'll post an actual dyno plot when I have it.

I'd note these results are at very close to sea level and on a Dyno Dynamics. My understanding is that they run a little lower than a dynojet but above a mustang. It was in the upper 40s today. They checked my EtOH content upon request and it was just under 75%.

So....the replacement Tomioka GT28/TD05 hybrid did 398wtq and ~415whp (can't remember if he said 412 or 421 so we'll split the difference.

The biggest issue is that for a smaller turbo, the spool seems poor. Remember I haven't seen the plot so a lot is unknown but peak wtq wasn't reached until ~4600-4700 rpm. Surprising to me for this sized turbo (but about the same as the initial unit we tested).

This turbo was able to hit 26psi but apparently only instantaneously.

Anyway, much more to come but I'm excited enough about this test that I thought I'd go ahead and share even this verbal preliminary data. I think the Dom 2.5xt-r, 10cm comes next (we got one after all but will still test the 1.5xt-r too).

So does that mean you will have 6 turbos tested?

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not impressed with that turbo. I have a bigger turbo that hits peak torque at about 4500rpm. I'd also expect more peak torque with 26psi.

Oh well. On to bigger and better things. Thanks for the update.

Yeah six and ? maybe more since Steamspeed sent a 67 by mistake as well as the 71-R I'm most interested in.

Bottom line is I agree with you about the Tomioka. We wanted to be sure I didn't have a defective unit but basically this whole multiple turbo test at a pretty low cost to me is due to the fact that the Tomioka did not meet expectations the first go around. .

I don't know what others get on a GT/GTX2871 CHRA but I didn't think the horsepower was bad. Just the time to build boost.

Archived