LegacyGT.com

Turbo recommendation for ~450 wtq? Stock location...

26psi. Interestingly it built boost quite linearly before briefly leveling out at 24psi for a couple hundred rpms and then bumping very quickly to 26psi. Not sure if that was intentional by the tuner or not.

The Dom2.5 built boost in a straight line all the way to 26psi.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the late spool can be the way the dyno loads the car, but what you're seeing is a bit extreme IME. In the pull below the 1.5XTR in 8cm2 does almost 20psi at 3k9rpm, and that's on a cold header and only starting the pull at 3k0rpm. This is a development tune that's still pig-rich, especially in the spool area, and this is on low timing while I work on fueling. Even on this rough tune, with a hot header and going WOT under 3k0rm I will see full spool by 3k5 or 3k6rpm.

15XTR20psi.jpg.d6b8e01f77270d89ce3d891090db60ea.jpg

How long are you holding it at 26psi btw? Just curious what the turbo will put up with, I won't be going there on pump gas plus meth.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah Joe - even with only 3 turbos done I am definitely already seeing a tough call between two of them (I keep measuring the graphs to see 'how long in RPM width does turbo x stay above 300, 350, 400 wtq', 'what's the slope of torque loss on the top end', 'how much boost does each make at X RPM', etc.).

So especially with several more to come I was just thinking how GREAT it would be to *drive* each setup.

However, again at only meager cost to me, the shop is blocking off entire days of dyno time to do this test so there is only so much I can ask for. And i'm sure that there is a TON of benefit of having the same dyno gather all of this data while correcting for conditions, etc.

Once we line up all the plots, I think there will be a lot of information to be gained. Then with whatever I pick I can definitely do a virtual run and describe my own subjective experience. For those of you following along my guess is that the relative characteristics of each turbo versus another will hold on the road too.

Fahr - yeah, discussed with the shop some reasons their set up could be slower in general to measure spool. I agree some of it seems to be in my car no matter how you slice it. The Dom1.5xt-r was able to hit 26psi but I'll post the graph so you can see the bump I'm mentioning from 24-26psi as well as the rate of boost loss afterwards (don't remember exactly but it didn't hold for long). Can't post it with my phone but once I'm up and around I'll get on it.

You're right, that is alot to ask. And regardless, this is a great situation to be in for you. Just remember, as your daily driver, your vehicle will see 95% of its time at low load and/or partial throttle. As stated, once the decision is made, you'll definitely want the tune cleaned up for daily road duty. WOT tunes on the dyno do little to expose other quirks you would notice daily if left as is. Looking forward to more results.

1445846491_Dom2.5xt-rat26psi(boostandAFR).thumb.jpg.1a3e514f866c073632ad42967df56a4c.jpg

Here you go. I still assume the flat 300rpms at 24psi has something to do with the tune. I know they are trying - because of my love of torque - to really 'spike' the boost to 26psi as well as they can. So maybe you tuners out there can speculate as to why they needed to hold boost at 24 for a bit before briefly popping up to 26.

Also, due to my ignorance of turbo compressor maps and factors that impact turbo efficiency and performance, I wish I understood why this 1.5 makes less peak power, but more SLOWLY loses torque after the peak.

BTW - yes agree 100% that a perfect dyno tune for pretty #s and the ideal road tune vary. Once this comparison is complete, I'll pick a turbo and talk to the tuner in detail about what he found while tuning it and if small tweaks for better drive-ability might be in order.

This thread is full of win...thanks for your efforts. Didnt expect to see that gt28 curve ball down and away...glad i went with the stx71...

And you should be seeing an STX71-R plot anytime. Maybe as soon as tonight! Don't have a regular STX71 in the lineup but possibly both an STX67 and a 67+ will get done.

Didn't get car on the dyno today. My work is being done very cheaply so I'm OK with them putting full pay customers ahead. FWIW, the reps from Steamspeed weren't hyping this STX-71R too much, according to my guy at PRE. I wonder if it will be a Tomioka-like issue of parts which sounds great on paper but aren't set up for optimum real world performance, especially with high boost. We will see.

Almost wish we hadn't done the Blouch models first as I worry nothing will match them. I don't have unlimited ability to test turbos but does anyone have a good suggestion for a stock location (non-rotated, non Borg-Warner) snail to test on top of my current lineup?

Wish I DID have unlimited funds because I'd really like to try an EFR7163 on my setup. I'd also like to test it with 1) ELH instead of UEL on say the Dom2.5 and 2) A stock cam versus my current GSC Sti S1.

Still good times.

I had a feeling blouch is the good stuff no doubt.

How about the sixstarspeed line of turbos?

http://www.6starspeed.com/ssghybabetu0.html

I was always considering their 18gxr or 20gxr and the link above looks beastly. I cant wait to get my built SB. I dont recall seeing much data on these snails. At least with steamspeed a few nasioc guys had some data to share.

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Id really like to see a cavalli stage 2 or 3

Triple ceramic bb

All aluminum center chra made here in the us

How are they not on this list?

I thought i read somewhere that their first initial batch released had some flukes? Unless i mixed it up with another company...i could be wrong. Aka triple "im a baller" " bearing turbos lol

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

EFR 6758 with ELH and meth will get you exactly what you need.

Don't even need meth...E85 is my daily. If I could do it all over again, I'd go EFR without a question. But tired of spending $$ for now - about to have to pay for that spec B tranny they just put in...

Thx for suggestions by everyone. The FP HTA71 is ordered but has been slow to arrive. Shop felt from the beginning it might be the winner so I hope it isn't back ordered forever.

I'll look into the others - don't know much about them and shop didn't suggest either.

Ok so theyre new i get it

And yeah maybe they screwed up a lil on the first run

That happens alot with new stuff

All the more reason to grab one and see for real what they are capable of

Rite?

They even come with upgraded wastegate actuaters from turbosmart

And because racecar...

The FP HTA71 is ordered but has been slow to arrive. Shop felt from the beginning it might be the winner so I hope it isn't back ordered forever.

I ordered my FP 71HTA on 12/30/15 and have yet to get a straight answer as to when it will actually ship, no mention of a backorder in the brief conversation I did have with them.

The sales Dept. was closed yesterday and again today for some reason. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired over there.

Hopefully yours gets there soon, sub'd for results. :)

Don't even need meth...E85 is my daily. If I could do it all over again, I'd go EFR without a question. But tired of spending $$ for now - about to have to pay for that spec B tranny they just put in...

Thx for suggestions by everyone. The FP HTA71 is ordered but has been slow to arrive. Shop felt from the beginning it might be the winner so I hope it isn't back ordered forever.

I'll look into the others - don't know much about them and shop didn't suggest either.

Silly me. HTA71 was already on this list. You got do many Damn turbos going, I can't remember it all. :spin:

No worries Joe...I hear you. And Jaybird - wasn't told of an 'official' backorder either. That was more my assumption when I was told that the guys at the shop who know the folks at FP well (it is a pretty small world in aftermarket subaru performance turbos I guess) said they also weren't getting calls back.

I had a feeling blouch is the good stuff no doubt.

How about the sixstarspeed line of turbos?

http://www.6starspeed.com/ssghybabetu0.html

Agree this one looks like it might be a good fit. 55 lb/min is on the higher end of the range I'm trying, but why not?

However, it is out of stock it seems. I may call them anyway just to see how quickly they might be able to get one here.

Well - no more results today. Keep getting bumped for higher paying customers. Can't really blame them. They are tuning a 1000hp twin turbo car this afternoon I'm told (not a subie of course). Makes my ~450whp look a bit paltry.

All the better though in some ways since I have a rental car for another week and I'm waiting for them to *maybe* get that HTA71 in....

Hope I'm not over-updating everyone here. Frankly I'm just excited myself to keep getting these results - obviously I hope they help others in their own decision making too - so I keep the updates coming.

Hate those threads that start off full of anticipation but then the OP moves on and you never hear the final deal.

Don't have another dyno plot to post yet (will get one on Monday) but the report is the Steamspeed 71-R wasn't anything special. Very similar to the Tomioka I'm told which was apparently about 400/400 with my prior Tomioka tune with an IWG and TMIC being 380/395.

Next up is the Tomei m8265. Still hoping we get an HTA71 in...was told today that there is a good chance of this.

I for one would LOVE to add an Forced Performance XR RED 76HTZ with their new Xona CHRA. It has the exact same compressor inducer and exducer diameters as the Tomei but with a smaller compressor wheel. I like its 9cm housing too...potentially a nice sized compromise.

But unlikely to get one in any reasonable time frame from what I hear.

Archived