LegacyGT.com

Turbo recommendation for ~450 wtq? Stock location...

A bit off topic but had an appt today and was chatting with my doc about cars. He said 'want to take my R8 for a spin?'

Never driven a near-supercar before. While it doesn't have the wild animal feeling of my car when that torque peak hits, it simply kills it in handling, braking and, no-surprise, all around fit and finish. Maybe should have just said no lol.

R8 with the V8? Great all around car, wonderfully built. Lacks emotion, and rawness, as you found out.

It's a good thing he didn't have the V10, or worse, a Ferrari :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, V8 version.

Underpowered, for sure. It probably felt like it was missing boost. But, how much more "complete" a vehicle was it? It's amazing what a purpose-built sports car feels like, versus a pumped-up econobox... Once you drive something like that, it changes your scale and perspective in terms of your own car. Next time get into the super car BEFORE spending 25k on your Subaru :lol:

Something to consider, though: your car murders both the V8 and V10 in terms of torque. You should take him for a test drive ;)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Lol they told me they were writing it up but didn't mention it was online yet.

Guess I don't have to post all those 19-21psi graphs now! Thanks for posting.

Somebody shared the article on a Subaru group on FB and I saw it there. Like 20 minutes later I just happened to come across this thread...

• 4 weeks later...

What fuel are you running? You need a FMIC. You need bigger injectors. You need...

We typically make 400-410whp with Dom 1.5XTRs running e85. This is measured on my Mustang which reads 20% lower than the Dynojet used by DSport magazine. So, 410 on my dyno equates to 490 on the dyno jet. We have a specific package of parts to accomplish this and Bills tunes. Peak boost is reached between 4000 and 4500rpm. We have made the 410whp numbers on a completely stock long block (car ran at that power level for 1 year before being returned back to stock and sold, never broke).

I am not a big fan of EFR turbos. We have had HUGE success with the KillerB spoolinator set ups.

Here are his mods from his first post. He mentions one time that he may go e85 but I think this is on 92 pump.

Mod list (many non-power/spool related items left off):

Six speed STI swap

Exogated UP

Turbosmart 45mm EWG

Catted (high-flow) CNT DP

COBB CBE with midpipe resonator

Tomei UEL header

FMIC (forget brand…went with shop recommendation)

TGV deletes

Grimmspeed EBCS

Cobb Accessport

DW300 pump with secondary booster

ID1200 injectors

Tomioka FPR

Tomioka AOS

AEM CAI

CP 100mm forged pistons at 9.0:1 CR

Manley H beam rods, ACL rod bearings

Ported and polished heads

Manley +1mm valves

GSC Sti S1 cams 268/266

ARP head studs

Gates timing belt w water pump

Sti 11mm oil pump

LIC adjustable timing belt

NGK one step colder plugs

Killer B Oil pan

Group N mounts

Koyo Radiator

Thermal zero turbo blanket and uppipe blanket

What fuel are you running? You need a FMIC. You need bigger injectors. You need...

We typically make 400-410whp with Dom 1.5XTRs running e85. This is measured on my Mustang which reads 20% lower than the Dynojet used by DSport magazine. So, 410 on my dyno equates to 490 on the dyno jet. We have a specific package of parts to accomplish this and Bills tunes. Peak boost is reached between 4000 and 4500rpm. We have made the 410whp numbers on a completely stock long block (car ran at that power level for 1 year before being returned back to stock and sold, never broke).

I am not a big fan of EFR turbos. We have had HUGE success with the KillerB spoolinator set ups.

Intake too small. Need 73mm minimum. I use KSTech. What headers? I recommend KillerB Holy Headers and EWG up pipe combo. What FMIC? I recommend ETS. Injectors most likely too small, I recommend DW EV14 DV2 1200cc (ID injectors do not flow the "rated" amount) or larger. After that your fuel feed from the tank to the motor will be a limiting factor. You can overcome this with a surge tank under the hood (or replace the lines under the car).

Is an opinion, take it for what its worth.

Archived