LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

I am thinking of just smoothing the sharp edges to keep the gases from having to make those sharp turns. Since I will need to buy a porting bit for the turbo might as well get some use out of it.

I'd say it certainly couldn't hurt as long as you are careful not to do too much and create weak or leak points

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^youtube if you can mig/arc weld tig is not much different from what I have seen. It is mostly about patience and a steady hand.

TIG is like a 2 handed MIG you, push heat with one hand and filler with the other. I'm semi ambidextrous so i have confidence i could learn it i just haven't had the chance to try. if i had the space and the money i would have a MIG and TIG and I'd be welding together all sort of shitty things hahaha. I think we actually have a TIG at work I should come in 1 weekend and mess around see what kind of beads i can lay

Planning to order parts to install my NP downpipe this coming week. The downpipe came with 2,3" gaskets.

Grimmspeed 3" to stock DP adapter.

OEM mid-pipe gasket to mate up with adapter on mid-pipe side.

OEM turbo gasket

OEM turbo bolts

Other than worrying to shit about boost creep during tuning...what else am I missing?

If you have the OEM catback you may want to replace the donut gasket... or not. I forgot to get a new one when I did mine and the old one did not leak so I didn't replace it.

It's doesnt come with a adapter

If your using oem catback you need a 3" to 2.5" adapter and a 2.5 donut ,unless your stock one is ok mine was

If you have a 3"catback then everything nameless gives you will work ,but in the gb mine didn't come with a 3"donut so I had to buy a new one

Well I guess I will need this:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/3-downpipe-adapter-aftermarket-dp-oem-subaru-catback/?gclid=CjwKEAjwsr-6BRCLvrj785rbhTsSJADjUxak7zWHyl6tGMVkijCv_zqeFdoyQDzQhR1PiOvYqBOewhoCiL3w_wcB

Edit-I sure am glad this was brought up again, for some reason I had it in my head this would connect to a stock CB. Thanks!

Edited by FLlegacy

Target and actual boost, too- would be interesting to see if there's an upper limit to how high a pressure it can overboost to (and if it stops or keeps creeping), meaning that if your target is above X psi, you probably won't notice.

Target and actual boost, too- would be interesting to see if there's an upper limit to how high a pressure it can overboost to (and if it stops or keeps creeping), meaning that if your target is above X psi, you probably won't notice.

This brings up another question I have been pondering, is there a hard upper limit for boost programmed into the ecu or is it set by the tuner?

From what I remember from Jackal's trials and tribulations, running out of MAP (not MAF...) sensor range is what causes the ECU to cut fuel. Replacing it with one that's scaled differently and adjusting the tune (not tube...) to match should allow you to go as high as the sensor will read. The ECU really only sees voltage, it has no concept of what that voltage means, so you could run 500 psi if you had the hardware to support it (and the ECU and sensor were sensitive enough to make that work). Edited by cww516

I think you mean the MAP sensor, not MAF ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yup, did bad. It's apparently still too early for coherent thought. Same thing happens with the MAF sensor, though, right? I seem to remember Perscitus or Geo or one of those other 3.6R guys talking about running out of headroom on the stock sensor. Could just be crazy, too, that's always an option.

Same concept, though, the ECU basically knows that if it sees 2.364V on one input and 3.784V on another, it needs to put out a 58% duty cycle signal on one output and a 73% duty cycle signal on another. It has no concept of air pressure or wastegates or stoichiometry, it just knows electrons and how to read and move them. Different sensors make electrons do different stuff, just need to pick the one that makes them do the right stuff.

The MAP sensor running out of range makes sense. I am sure there is a point where the MAF can no longer accurately measure the volume of air flowing past it, but then you are probably past the point of needing a speed density conversion.

It's a bit easier than that. Sensor voltage goes above set limit, cut fuel. Above set limit for certain timer count, set a CEL. You're not going to max out the MAF sensor on the stock turbo on a 5th gen LGT. The MAP sensor in the stock ECU will set a CEL at 4.60v, but that can be raised to closer to 5.00v. On earlier models the counter was 8 units but in '13 that got raised to 31. For some reason the '13 and up models are much more sensitive, even though the sensor scaling is the same and AFAIK is the same part.

The problem with boost creep is more that the little VF-54 turns into a damn flamethrower beyond about 1bar at 6k0rpm. If you can't hold it to that you are on the one hand wringing it's little neck in terms of shaft speed and on the other, dumping a lot of heat into the charge for no gain. There just isn't any extra power to be had by running boost higher than that as so much timing has to be pulled to prevent knock.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Not to go off topic but I just have to say, even though this is a smallish community, in this one thread there is so much great info. Its good to see the great advice and info sharing. I'm happy to have chosen this platform.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's doesnt come with a adapter

If your using oem catback you need a 3" to 2.5" adapter and a 2.5 donut ,unless your stock one is ok mine was

If you have a 3"catback then everything nameless gives you will work ,but in the gb mine didn't come with a 3"donut so I had to buy a new one

Thanks haruichi808:

So from front of car to rear, after Nameless DP, you use 3" supplied gasket from Nameless. Then connect Grimmspeed 3" to OEM catback adapter, then comes the OEM sized donut then OEM catback?

So an OEM exhaust gasket (2.5L motor, OEM size) isn't required right?

So from front of car to rear, after Nameless DP, you use 3" supplied gasket from Nameless. Then connect Grimmspeed 3" to OEM catback adapter, then comes the OEM sized donut then OEM catback?

That would be the correct order.

So an OEM exhaust gasket (2.5L motor, OEM size) isn't required right?

also correct, shouldn't be needed