LegacyGT.com

fredrik94087's 2015 WRX

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Get it protuned. Do not attempt an e-tune...regardless of reputation. This car is very quirky and needs to be protuned (on a dyno...not road).

If you can't do that, just go with the Cobb ots stage1. The car will be a $hit load more driveable. None of that boost and rev surge.

Right, I was thinking OTS Stage 1, but there's a chance Subaru might not cover anything that goes wrong.

I think I might wait until 25k miles.

Right, I was thinking OTS Stage 1, but there's a chance Subaru might not cover anything that goes wrong.

I think I might wait until 25k miles.

Yes, but only a chance. They must prove that failure was a result of the tune or any part you changed out. I got the perrin oil-cooler (gets rid of the factory oil/coolant heat exchanger), and I'm getting a better flowing TMIC. My tune smoothed the car out. I will take my chances.

But, I totally get you. I was so timid just thinking about the AP. If I can't have the WRX with the present tune in place or at least the cobb ots map, I don't want it. The car is too quirky in stock form.

I logged my protune and get no knock, no knock learning, and DAM is at 1. I think I had a similar result with cobb...don't remember.

We did not touch the factory knock sensor settings.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

^^^ I didn't want to be the one saying it.

That said...

...mishimoto tmic and charge pipe...check!

perrin pitch stop mount, shifter bushing, and that gate thingy...check!

Brrrrrembos next week and coilovers in three to four weeks.

I must say that after the raceseng shift-knob, the perrin shifter stuff did almost absolutely nothing to my shifting "feel". That raceseng knob is a wonder!

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• I Donated
You could always uninstall the AP before taking it in...

There's still a chance the techs will see that the ECU has been reset and deny the warranty claim. Realistically, these engines are new and we don't know if there might be a failure they could blame on tuning.

• I Donated
^^^ the techs can only see if the stock tune is there, otherwise they cannot see the number of times its been flashed. If the ECU is sent to SOA, my understanding is that they have access to the flash counter.

The flash counter doesn't even matter, because unmarrying the AP resets the ECU back to what it was before marrying, flash counter included. The problem is more that Subaru tech frequently have had WRXes rolling into the shop with blown engines or turbos and mysteriously reset ECUs, and by now, the jig is up. Yes, there is a decent chance that the dealer will cover the issue anyway, especially because I have a good relationship with my local dealer's service department, but it's something I don't necessarily want to risk quite yet.

My impression is that the FAs that have given up the ghost early in life generally do it by around 25k, so I figure that's a safe point at which I can risk it.

My logs for pre and post mishimoto tmic are nearly identical. Of course, intake temps are a bit lower. My previous log was in slightly cooler weather and my intake temps are reading about the same while my coolant temps are slightly higher (slightly warmer weather for post tmic log).

A/F is identical. Car seems happy, but I am going to try and make my way to Travis (2.5 hours away), get on the dyno, get logs and get his input.

I am darn curious if I am making any power over my 91 protune dyno without changing the map.

Do you have a track day scheduled? Or waiting for brembo's and coilovers before you go?

You said it....

I need a track day as well. Sonoma or Mazda on a Saturday or Sunday.

Sonoma August 29/30 is first possible with NASA. I hope to be ready by then, and I hope I can get a last minute track day.

I am really interested in reading your thoughts between Shrek / Fiona once you get the car on a track.

ME TOO!! for some reason i feel this newer, smaller, lighter, more powerful car is going to blow Shrek outta the water tho...

a second or 2 in most motorsports is blown out of the water excluding absurdly large laps. but you never know Fiona could unleash the beast in him, either way i can't wait for some track vids

You guys are gonna get me in trouble...again :lol:

Snail Performance dyno tune by Travis in Rocklin, CA.

96 blend protune: 252whp/281wtq (added timing only to 91 protune)

91 octane protune: 241whp/276wtq

91 octane cobb ots stage 1: 230whp/260wtq

for comparison, his 2015 sti baselined at 249whp/253wtq

All runs on a mustang dyno

TMIC added and tuned.

91 octane protune with tmic: 252.3whp/278.9wtq

we started with 236.4whp/270.6wtq. Why is this number lower than my 91 octane protune?

Shhhh!!! I doped the tank with 3/4 gal of 89 octane in 16 gallons of 91 octane on purpose. I wanted to make sure we had zero issues with this red-herring. Just a tiniest margin of safety for my peace of mind.

As Fiona stands, she is +3whp/+26wtq over an STI!!!!!

At the crank, I must be 308+ HP and 316+ TQ (STI is 305hp/290tq)

The dyno pic is not the final dyno...it was a work in progress but good enough to show the curves.

20150806_103356.thumb.jpg.3370b26f2698d51d376727ab3af1069b.jpg

20150806_104429.thumb.jpg.c582ee8531bace67098298b16b7f0020.jpg

Was that your car Travis posted on Facebook today?

Yeppers.

You gotta pick days where I can come by and ogle your car.

oooh...ogle Fiona? Tsk Tsk...she is taken.

Contemplating stage 2 or just leave it as is, so it will be a while. However, I do want to do a baseline again with straight 91 just for my own curiosity. I want to pick a hot day.

I know the dyno compensates, but the car will be different between hot and cool days.

At the same time, I am contemplating either adding the ETS intake I have on hand or making one.

Too much in the air right now and I don't even have my brakes and coilovers done.

Patience, Fred. Patience.

Fred....SLOW....DOWN !!!! Enjoy your car.

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20150807&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=Dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=66.234.199.109&pvaid=cfc0002e11d645a99c1d22f89c556e48&dt=Desktop&sid=1830193568.2882075271224.1438964868&vid=1830193568.2882075271224.1426791451.982&fcoi=417&fcop=topnav&fct.uid=243283b6629b4828aad7994a67130d48&fpid=2&en=0WEFU%2FZhSoTF%2FFm%2BpLeuVl4UPZzISdzyg%2BaGYj7N8ISb7M1aTnzzgA%3D%3D&du=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview2%2F4073941%2Fbilly-madison-slow-down-o.gif&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview2%2F4073941%2Fbilly-madison-slow-down-o.gif&ap=1&coi=772&cop=main-title&npp=1&p=0&pp=0&ep=1&mid=9&hash=3A10FB11A5B45C9C2673841C14709822

Archived