LegacyGT.com

fredrik94087's 2015 WRX

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there a lot of headwind that day? I would expect WRX with a tune to run better than your times especially the MPH. What was your 60's time? What were your shift points? The WRX, STi, Evo, etc that I see at the track often seemed to be driven very hard. I know that not everyone drive their car like they hate it.

The STi was run slow as well, but their are plenty of people that can't drive. The drag strip can be humbling to newbies.

I know someone who races at Sonoma and his times/mph are fast for his mods, but he is a seasoned drag racer.

Well there goes that thought.

It might be due to too much heat in the staging lanes for the top mount intercooled cars. I would say you need a driver mod but even those trap speeds are low for modded cars. What were the 60fts?

Well there goes that thought.

It might be due to too much heat in the staging lanes for the top mount intercooled cars. I would say you need a driver mod but even those trap speeds are low for modded cars. What were the 60fts?

60' was 2.0# I believe. The STI had 1.8#.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

FWIW, 60ft should be 1.6xx done properly on a stock boost car.

im now calling driving skills in to question. ;)

He's probably a little hesitant to break another car. :lol:

I gave it everything. I blame the car, the track, the extra weight (of stuff in the car), the temps, and the 275 tires...

oh yeah, and maybe the driver.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

FWIW, 60ft should be 1.6xx done properly on a stock boost car.

im now calling driving skills in to question. ;)

I don't know if your joking, but 1.6 out of a 13-14 sec car is an unrealistic goal for most. I would expect to see 1.8, with maybe a 1.7 60'

Okay Fred....an STi makes all it's power up in the higher rpms, where the STi's turbo shines at maintaining boost to redline. Your turbo (twin scroll) and moreso our turbo (single scroll) has already fallen flat on it's face by around 5k rpms. So... there is no sense in spending that second waiting for the car to go faster by redlining it to 6k, you might as well shift at 4500 which will put you right back into the power band for the next gear, around 3k. By redlining every gear you're never really in the powerband even on upshifts. The STi on the other hand likes the top of the rev range.

1.8 is .2 better which supposedly translates into .4 better overall in the 1/4mile.

.2 for every .1 is a little optimistic. I had this discussion with a friend of mine last year. I went through my nearly 100 track slips over 13 trips to the track and they fell within the range 0.125 to 0.175 for every 0.1. Most were closer to .15 for every .1 off the 60's. A drag racer friend mine did the same with many more times slips and he agreed.

Needless to say.

I believe I need to get a dyno-tune, and then I will know where my power is at. An e-tune, as much as I prefer to work with AMR may not be my solution. Too many variables for this finicky car.

Some logs see knock in 2nd gear, some in 3rd and some in 4th. All within minutes on the road.

I believe I am better on a road course than a drag strip, but that is yet to be determined with Fiona.

I don't know if your joking, but 1.6 out of a 13-14 sec car is an unrealistic goal for most. I would expect to see 1.8, with maybe a 1.7 60'

ready for me to prove 1.6xx ?

SCCA ProSolo events, particularly in Street Touring Ultra(STU) where stock boost STI/WRXs run on street tires with just some suspension upgrades on 200TW street tires that can be no wider than 245mm as per the class rules. ProSolos have drag-launch starts with a tree and staging lights. Timer starts when the light turns green, not when you cross the start beam. So you need a great launch as part of a good run time for the course.

look on page 12 - http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/007/810/2015_NJ_Pro_Solo_RT60.pdf

the winner in STU in a 06 STI was basically running 1.6xx 60ft times all day long across 2 days.

ready for me to prove 1.6xx ?

SCCA ProSolo events, particularly in Street Touring Ultra(STU) where stock boost STI/WRXs run on street tires with just some suspension upgrades on 200TW street tires that can be no wider than 245mm as per the class rules. ProSolos have drag-launch starts with a tree and staging lights. Timer starts when the light turns green, not when you cross the start beam. So you need a great launch as part of a good run time for the course.

look on page 12 - http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/007/810/2015_NJ_Pro_Solo_RT60.pdf

the winner in STU in a 06 STI was basically running 1.6xx 60ft times all day long across 2 days.

I don't see a street touring ultra in the 2015 scca rulebook. I only see street touring.

Within that category, they separated the "sub-classes". One of them is STU.

1. You may swap the battery for a lightweight battery as long as the voltage is the same as OE.

2. Air intake may be modified up to the TB.

3. Exhaust headers, manifold, downpipes and EGR tubes may be replaced with alternative units. Exhaust heat shields may be removed.

4. May replace catalytinc converter with one that is at least 100 cell and has a substrate lenght of 3"

5. You may reprogram the ECU or have a piggyback.

6. May replace alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys

7. Driver and passenger seats may be replaced. The seat and all hardware must be at least 25 pounds.

Looks to me like someone in that class can go further than the STI that was running next to me.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a link to the SCCA PDF:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/003/742/2015-5-19_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online_reduced.pdf?1432652746

I did a google search on his name. He appears to have one of the quickest n his autocross class. His NASOIC handle is MatyCross http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/member.php?u=174603

He has a few cool autocross video links. His STi moves. I would guess his STi is running well into the 12's. I found an older post by him where his car had dynoed 304awhp and ran a 12.9 with 1.77 60'.

I am sure you can find an outlier of a 13.0 or 13.1 time where person gets a 1.68-9 60', but typically 1.6 times aren't possible until the 12's in a AWD vehicle. Their just isn' enough hp to achieve those 60' times. I still stand by that I don't think its realistic that he will see 1.6 in his WRX with a tune.

I would be willing to bet the Car and Driver, 2015 WRX where it ran 0-60 4.6sec with a redline clutch launch didn't pull a 1.6 60' either.

Here is a link to all his started threads. He has a few videos.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=52460608

the point i was trying to make, is that in STU, the car must run stock boost levels. so a wrx/sti with stage 2 mods will be making more power than this car.

the dude i linked to is a great driver showing what the car can do. If fredrik went stage 1 or 2, he is making more power than this STI.

I don't see a street touring ultra in the 2015 scca rulebook. I only see street touring.

Within that category, they separated the "sub-classes". One of them is STU.

1. You may swap the battery for a lightweight battery as long as the voltage is the same as OE.

2. Air intake may be modified up to the TB.

3. Exhaust headers, manifold, downpipes and EGR tubes may be replaced with alternative units. Exhaust heat shields may be removed.

4. May replace catalytinc converter with one that is at least 100 cell and has a substrate lenght of 3"

5. You may reprogram the ECU or have a piggyback.

6. May replace alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys

7. Driver and passenger seats may be replaced. The seat and all hardware must be at least 25 pounds.

Looks to me like someone in that class can go further than the STI that was running next to me.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a link to the SCCA PDF:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/003/742/2015-5-19_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online_reduced.pdf?1432652746

yes, but even with all that, boost is limited to stock levels. the car may be 50lbs lighter than stock trim, but makes not much more power. you said the car next to you was making 330whp. thats way more than this STU car makes.

the point i was trying to make, is that in STU, the car must run stock boost levels. so a wrx/sti with stage 2 mods will be making more power than this car.

the dude i linked to is a great driver showing what the car can do. If fredrik went stage 1 or 2, he is making more power than this STI.

You dont have to make more boost to make more power.

Also, it isnt as simple as suspension only as the rules leave a lot on the table.

That said, yes he was very quick...and had/has a quick car. I saw his for sale post of '06 STI seats. I have reason to believe he did whatever he could to make that car fast. Why wouldnt you take a car to the limit of the rules when competing?

Looking into stage2...killerb downpipe and midpipe. I may do at least one track day before going this route.

You dont have to make more boost to make more power.

Also, it isnt as simple as suspension only as the rules leave a lot on the table.

That said, yes he was very quick...and had/has a quick car. I saw his for sale post of '06 STI seats. I have reason to believe he did whatever he could to make that car fast. Why wouldnt you take a car to the limit of the rules when competing?

Looking into stage2...killerb downpipe and midpipe. I may do at least one track day before going this route.

I know all about ST rules, as i compete in STR. And i know you can make more power with the same boost through tuning, but that power increase is still limited. Stage 1 will make more power than a ST tune. Aside from suspension, you can go past the throttle body or exhaust manifold when it comes to engine mods in that class. you cant even upgrade the clutch past OEM. Bottom line there is its driver. The car itself can do it, even its its not 1.6xx, 1.7xxx should be obtainable easily. As i look through the STU prosolo results from accross the country, AWD cars do 1.7x though the class easily.

Your turbo (twin scroll) and moreso our turbo (single scroll) has already fallen flat on it's face by around 5k rpms. So... there is no sense in spending that second waiting for the car to go faster by redlining it to 6k, you might as well shift at 4500 which will put you right back into the power band for the next gear, around 3k. By redlining every gear you're never really in the powerband even on upshifts...

This! i never take my car past 5.5K and that's really only on my first shift because of how much more rpm drop you get going from 1-2, all my other shifts are 5k or less. these things just don't pull that hard near redline. I'd like to see you run with that in mind. i hope to god you can get yourself in the 13's or i'll start feeling much worse about my car

Archived