LegacyGT.com

Is a Legacy GT an enthusiasts car?

My father had a Legacy GT (2005) about 10 years ago, he got the GT Limited from the factory and loved that car.

I of course growing up with that car came to love it, and loved the power it had when he would step on the gas.

Time has come where I now have my license, and my dad has moved onto faster cars. Yet I still have this itch to buy a LGT for myself. Am I crazy? I don't know the first thing about cars, besides when I turn the key of my Saturn Vue it makes some noises, turns on, and away I drive.

I talked to him at first, he cautioned me that the car has a lot of power. But wasn't 100% against the idea, he seemed to like I was following his footsteps.

This is where I ask you guys, just a couple of questions since I've never driven a LGT.

1. With myself not knowing anything about cars, is the LGT right for me? I know the basics for these cars, Oil changes every 3k miles, make sure the turbo is healthily, not much more.

2. Is the LGT overpowering for a teenager?

3. How are they in the snow? I put some snow tires on my Vue, and away I go.

Thanks everyone.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remember ever asking myself if I car I desired had too much power because I was a teenager. The truth is you can kill yourself in anything if you are stupid enough. The legacy gt is good second car to have. If you don't require 100% reliable transportation, or if you have 5k sitting in the bank for eventual repairs, or if you like to tempt fate this is a good car to have.

It is hard to resist its power. They attract cops. They require a good deal of upkeep. Not being able to turn a wrench= i hope you can afford the dealership fixing it! Or maybe your dad knows how to take care of it?

Its awd will be great in the snow. you might be better off with a 2.5i (cheaper to own).

Expect 18mpg city with premium gas and expensive insurance.

It would be a great first car. If you have the money to invest in it. especially if you have passion for them. Buy what you want, not what other tell you is "cool".

You have to be careful when buying these. A lot of them have been driven on a teenagers budget with a teenagers lead foot.

great questions, here's some food for thought. DONT buy one unless you've pulled motors, rebuilt lshort blocks, replaced turbos, replaced wheel hubs , rebuilt braking systems, and replaced struts on your own. otherwise, it will be a paperweight. They are fun, but DO require mechanics skill.

Why did your dad get rid of it? Im planning on handing mine down to my son after he turns 16 and its paid off, just so I can get another STI :) maybe talk to your dad about your thoughts, and take his advice as he is probably gonna have to help you with it in some way or another. Either Financially or with insurance. Both will be expensive for someone your age! Best of luck!

Oh and P.S.... they are great in the snow as long as you dont have performance summer tires on it

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Keep in mind that a $5k+ engine rebuild is always lurking around the corner, never mind the cost to maintain other parts of the car, or any go fast bits you might be tempted to get. Personally I would recommend a non-turbo 5MT wagon for someone in your situation.

P.S. Your post makes me feel old. Bought my '06 new when I graduated college and landed my first corporate job.

You young kids.

If your not mechanically inclined, this is not the car for you.

They need TLC to keep them running well.

Is the car on the stock Tune ?

When my son was 5y/o I bought a 1992 Civic Si, I'm a drag racer from back in the 1970's, have always like racing and fast cars. That love was passed on to my son. Over the years he learned how to drive by me teaching him what I'm watching for while driving and to feel what the car is doing around you. I started doing that from a very young age with him.

When he turned 16y/o we had already put a turbo on the civic and that was his first car. When he was 18y/o and the civic had 428whp he said, "Dad this is not a street car anymore". He went on the run 9's in the car. He has never had a serious accident with any car, he spun his S2000 and kissed the rear bumper enough to scrape the rear bumper. He's 28y/o now.

He would not buy one of these cars. He had to chance to buy one that a buddy had after we put a turbo on his Integra back in high school, he drove the Teg for 5 years finished high school and college. He bought a 05GT, my son thought about that cars a few years back, when the buddy was selling it, but decided against it.

His DD is a 06 Civic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is hard to resist its power. They attract cops. They require a good deal of upkeep. Not being able to turn a wrench= i hope you can afford the dealership fixing it! Or maybe your dad knows how to take care of it?

Its awd will be great in the snow. you might be better off with a 2.5i (cheaper to own).

Expect 18mpg city with premium gas and expensive insurance.

It would be a great first car. If you have the money to invest in it. especially if you have passion for them. Buy what you want, not what other tell you is "cool".

You have to be careful when buying these. A lot of them have been driven on a teenagers budget with a teenagers lead foot.

I seriously disagree with saying that it attracts cops. I'm catless (loud) and cops have just glanced at me, just like every other car.

I don't get much attention from cops. but I also don't drive like a dick. I think cops are more focused on wrxs and sti's. The car does require a lot of TLC and can get pricey but if you take care of it, it will last. mine was great in the snow, didn't get stuck once and I was even on some pretty bald tires

Why did your dad get rid of it? Im planning on handing mine down to my son after he turns 16 and its paid off, just so I can get another STI :) maybe talk to your dad about your thoughts, and take his advice as he is probably gonna have to help you with it in some way or another. Either Financially or with insurance. Both will be expensive for someone your age! Best of luck!

Oh and P.S.... they are great in the snow as long as you dont have performance summer tires on it

After he replaced 2 turbos in 80k miles (1 under warranty, and 1 out of his own pocket) he decided he just couldn't keep with the maintenance behind it. He drives about 30 miles a day, 15 to work, 15 back. On top of weekend driving, he would drive anywhere from 15k-20k miles a year. At 3k miles that would be a oil change every other month and he tired to stretch it to 5k, and that's where he ran into problems.

He had no problem doing the big services, 30k, 60k, 90k. He would hate having to wait around for an hour to get his oil changed, so he would put it off.

He just couldn't dedicate the time to a Turbocharged car, and has since got a G35x that he puts synthetic in and changes the oil every 10k miles or twice a year.

But he said that the LGT is by far his favorite car to drive, and was even considering buying a '08 a few months ago to replace his car.

well you just now getting your license are you going to be able to pay for everything..? it will get expensive

Part time job in high school bring in $125 a week. Probably somewhere around $250 week in the summer if the boss ups my hours.

My parents have offered to pay my insurance until I graduate college and get my own thing setup.

I would have to have some type of money put aside for this car, 5k for a motor rebuild would be months of work for me.

I'm not much older than you are and I worked my a$$ off to be able to afford my wagon and maintain it. This wasn't my first car however. I started with a 1999 Impreza L. It was slow, but it looked good and was a good car in the snow. Since owning my wagon I have always been very keen on checking my oil every time I get gas as well as keeping to the 3k oil changes. Just because you follow an oil change interval doesn't mean you aren't burning oil and going to cause a failure because of lack of oil. Like others have said these cars are not cheap to maintain and especially being 10 years old now there is a lot of maintenance that should be done simply because of the age of the car regardless of mileage.

If I was in your position however I would not look at getting this car at all. I am mechanically inclined and my dad had me working on cars with him when I was just a few years old. Now that mechanical inclination has me as an engineering student working on massive diesel engines on commercial ships.

I agree with Underdog, for your age and not having the mechanical abilities a 2.5i would better suit you. The GT's are very picky and things can go bad really quick if you aren't paying attention.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

1. Before I got the LGT, I didn't know much about cars either (aside from regular maintenance, OCIs, and topping off fluids), but I was and still am willing to learn and wrench when I can. You pick it up as you go, and you learn from your ripped knuckles. Overall, your enjoyment and frustrations with owning an LGT are directly correlated with how much you're willing to learn and DIY, as well as pay when it's beyond your technical abilities. FWIW, I can't pull motors, rebuild SBs, and haven't yet replaced my hubs, but still love the car. *Note: Car was purchased post-college, and I do reasonably well for my age bracket. Don't know if I would've been able to afford the LGT as a freshly-minted driver.

2. No, it's not at all overpowering. As with any vehicle, respect it and your limits, and you'll be fine.

3. With winter/snow tires, the LGT is magically fun in the snow. My car is lowered and i still rip through 1.5'+ of snow like butter.

Basically, if you don't have a lot of money, but you're willing to dedicate time, go for it. If you don't have much time, but have money, go for it. If you've neither, don't go for it.

Yes, it is an enthusiast car. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone without mechanical ability or the desire to learn quickly and get dirty.

If I were you I'd buy a Honda. They are really great cars to learn on and are not nearly as temperamental as Subaru's can be.

I carry a tool box and a blank check with me everytime I drive my car. With 40k since my stage 2 rebuild I've never had any issues, but you never know with these cars.

I guess I should also add, most people here know I've paid for my 05 Wagon at least twice. I bought it new in late June 2004.

IMO it's not a car for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm only 20, go to school at ASU and work full time and I love my LGT, It's a pain in the ass and does take quite a bit of upkeep, but it's so worth it to me. The Subaru community is great, and I love driving around in a normal looking sedan and being able to walk all over lots of big V8 guys :D, that being said, I think the best preventative maintenance step you can take is DON'T drive like an ass! Yes every now and then it's fun to make boosty noises and get down, but save it for the few and far betweeen.

I average 26mpg on a stage 2 18 psi tune, and I credit most of it to my old man driving style. (until Jeremy spikey hair sunglasses pulls up to the light in his SICK mustang)

But all in all, take care of her, she'll take care of you, that's what being young is all about we make mistakes ;)

Don't get into it if you can't afford it, but if you can make it happen, I say go with your gut. but shit I'm just some dumb kid too lol

good luck! :)

I seriously disagree with saying that it attracts cops. I'm catless (loud) and cops have just glanced at me, just like every other car.

I'll second this notion about the GT not attracting cops. I'm running 3" cat less with stock cans, been pulled over doing some stupid stuff over the years and they always let the little red Subaru go.......except once lol.

The legacy is a great car, as are Subaru's in general, but there are a lot of things that could go wrong. Maintenance is going to cost a ton of money if you always need to go to a dealer. The legacy is my second car. My insurance surprisingly stayed the same coming from a 2001 Outback Sedan because it was considered "sporty." I say stick with the vue until you have a steady income and time to learn about the car, but you should definitely get a Legacy when you're older.

LGT is a cool little enthusiast car, reasonable power and mileage and very capable for year-round driving. A machine this complex takes TLC if it is your DD but in my experience, once you have a budget for more than one car, you will have room to breathe and have fun. Until then, probably best to buy what you like, or what you can afford, take good care of it, learn cars and tools doing minor stuff. Enthusiasts do not necessarily have to know how to R&R an engine or trans, but be willing to get dirty, read technical data, be handy with tools like torque wrenches and calipers, and have the common sense to know if you break it, you might be walking so you need a backup plan. The better your attention to detail, the more you will enjoy your car(s). You can save a ton of cash by doing your own work and shopping around for quality parts when the time comes.

My LGT was unreliable back when I got it gently used in 07. Week into ownership I was chasing down vacuum leaks and shit can tune issues. Either the road tune was super good or the tune I got the car with was super bad. I shaved dam near a second in the 1/4 mile run on H rated tires compared do the Bridgestones and crap tune.

Fast Fwd, If you have the know how, A dad with lots of tools and friends in the Subi community willing to work for *ROOT BEER* or unlimited daddy funds then I'd say you could survive ownership of such a piece of machinery. Buying a LGT with no funds to maintain is like having kids and make just enough to miss cutoff for government aid but not enough to cover daycare and all the other crap kids cost you unaccounted for.

interesting that a handful have said basically you need a mechanics license to own and operate this car. A little overkill no? Timely oil changes will get you a long way. LGT is a reliable buck! N/A legacy probably more reliable for sure.

Archived