LegacyGT.com

Is a Legacy GT an enthusiasts car?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not a license, but a willingness to work on the car and not be inconvenienced when you have to.

Mine hasn't stranded me, but it's not in solid enough condition to be called "reliable." My LGT is 11 years old this month. (btw who else has an 06/04 build date?) Stuff has already started breaking beyond what most people would contribute to poor reliability. I would also say so far owning a Subaru has required a slight lifestyle change. With my wife's car I can choose when I want to work on it. The Subaru I feel dictates when it wants to be worked on. It calls the shots. I'm now required to be flexible and devote time and money to keep it running in an enjoyable state.

It's not a car for only advanced mechanics, but I don't recommend them to novice car owners/mechanics. I'd agree that a simple vehicle would do more to help learn as opposed to frustrate like an LGT would.

As for the performance, no we're not talking 930 turbo Widowmaker levels of danger here. Though it does encourage spirited driving. In my experience I had less maturity to resist spirited driving when I was younger. YMMV

if i do, the dealer can do it = no mechanics license required :lol:

i drive my car like a grandma if that helps longevity any...

The dealer will cost you an arm and a leg :lol: hope you got an automatic tranny its hard to push a clutch in with one leg and shift with one arm haha

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

The dealer will cost you an arm and a leg :lol: hope you got an automatic tranny its hard to push a clutch in with one leg and shift with one arm haha

And DIY costs time. Give and take.

Sorry dont get your tranny joke. :) but I wouldnt drive an AT even if someone paid me to do it, unless its a lambo or something

Sorry dont get your tranny joke. :) but I wouldnt drive an AT even if someone paid me to do it, unless its a lambo or something

It's difficult to drive stick with 1 arm and leg missing (cost of dealership if you trust they won't shortcut and still bill you for parts).

My LGT has been really reliable. I bought it new 06/05 when I was 20yrs old. I have done all the maintenance my self. The car is at 180k on the stock clutch, stock turbo. I did have the throw out bearing replaced at 95k by subaru, I had it covered under the 100k gold warranty. The ECU also got replaced due to the radiator fans constantly running(recall). Only major component I have had to replace is the radiator. Everything else has been wear and tear.

That being said, I did pay close attention to the oil. I was doing 3.5k oil changes when I got it new. Plus a lot of that mileage is highway. I was commuting 60 miles a day, taken her to mexico twice and a lot of road trips.

Its ok... A lot of us learn taking our car to the dealership for work the hard way... We can only hope that people on the forum will take our advice and stay away from them. Find a Subaru Specialty shop in your area and make friends with them. You will thank us later!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I go to dealership for parts guy and random 4 gen LGT sightings. Besides that it's like the police, don't ever talk or associate with em. Adventure time dealership isn't making that a hard thing to do after that stunt earlier.

Looking around for Subaru Speciality Shops, there seems be one half a mile away from me. I'm in Bethel, CT. There called "EFI Logics", they seem to be rated fairly highly on Google.

Looking around for Subaru Speciality Shops, there seems be one half a mile away from me. I'm in Bethel, CT. There called "EFI Logics", they seem to be rated fairly highly on Google.

One thing I love about Phoenix is we have tons of Subi shops. it's going to be 104 degrees today and the heatsoak is very real... but for some reason we have like 4/5 shops that do awesome Subi work lol

EFI is probably one of the best names in the Subaru community. Tons of us in the tri-state area and even farther have had work and pro-tunes (via Mikey) done there, myself included. Another shop is AZP in Kenilsworth, NJ -- excellent place; have been going there for years.

I personally say get the car. It is a learning expernice. Yes the honda makes more sense to get because it is more practical and cheap. But doesnt have the same attitude as the GT. If I could go back I might have bought a WRX but its nice to be a little different than other people. Same power levels and aftermarket options as the wrx/sti. Been through two clutches, two turbos a timing belt, starter and the list continues. But I think thats due to the fact it was a high milage car. I got it knowing I would be spending some money on her. Is it quick yes but a full on sports car no. Dont drive it like you are in Fast 8 and the car will last plain and simple. And that is for ever car. Watch the oil, but I personally believe this is over-blown to think that ever subaru is on borrowed time. If that was the case why do so many people drive them? Its just something to look out for. I have meet more people because of my car I can tell you that and always wanting to lend a hand. If you want to mod it, put on a cbe (for the subaru rumble) then mess with the handling. When you start making some more money then think about power. Because that is dark hole where you will be stuck in. More likely to blow something that way. Trust me I have worked at a job making 100 a week and it sucks blowing a full pay check on the car. Take it from me dont be car broke. Save up your money become finanical stable then start having fun.

Legacy for a first car? I wouldn't do it, too expensive for something that you most likely will wreck. Heck it took me 10 years to be able to afford a Legacy... it's the nicest car I own.

Since most of you are mentioning engine reliability issues, I've got a few questions that I'm curious about...

• How many miles were put on the car with a stock tune?
  • Stock turbo died?
  • Banjo bolt filters present for how many miles?
  • How often are your oil change intervals and what oil (syn or dyno)?
  • How many miles have been at upgraded power?

Basically I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between engine failures and stock tunes, mods, or oil change intervals.

I just ticked to 120k miles on my LGT, and 165k miles on my FXT. Both have the same faults, lean tunes and banjo filters, so far both have been pretty good (LGT does consume/leak some oil). Seeing your posts makes me scared, but at the same time I do see 150k+ mile LGT's/FXT's on clist often.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

1. With myself not knowing anything about cars, is the LGT right for me? I know the basics for these cars, Oil changes every 3k miles, make sure the turbo is healthily, not much more.

I would not start with a LGT based on what you said above. Find something else that is more affordable to repair.

2. Is the LGT overpowering for a teenager?

For a teenager like you that is not familiar with cars, yes.

3. How are they in the snow? I put some snow tires on my Vue, and away I go.

Any car equipped with proper tires for the condition it will be driving in will be OK as long as it is properly driven. I say, keep the Vue if you already own it ("my Vue..").

I would not start with a LGT based on what you said above. Find something else that is more affordable to repair.

For a teenager like you that is not familiar with cars, yes.

Any car equipped with proper tires for the condition it will be driving in will be OK as long as it is properly driven. I say, keep the Vue if you already own it ("my Vue..").

My Vue is my car, I own it outright. I'm fully expecting to it shit the bed in a few months. 252k miles on the engine and tranny. It's worth around ~4k.

I was hoping to take my savings (6k), and sell the vue for 4k before the tranny goes. I would have 10k, which should be enough for a 2005/2006 LGT.

My Vue is my car, I own it outright. I'm fully expecting to it shit the bed in a few months. 252k miles on the engine and tranny. It's worth around ~4k.

I was hoping to take my savings (6k), and sell the vue for 4k before the tranny goes. I would have 10k, which should be enough for a 2005/2006 LGT.

I will still not recommend a LGT. Get a vehicle in the <5k price range. A small pickup truck or another midsize SUV would be ideal.

But, it's your money and its not my business to know what your priorities are and what kind of financial backup plan you have if the need arises.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you will be happy with your decision. :)

Legacy for a first car? I wouldn't do it, too expensive for something that you most likely will wreck. Heck it took me 10 years to be able to afford a Legacy... it's the nicest car I own.

Since most of you are mentioning engine reliability issues, I've got a few questions that I'm curious about...

• How many miles were put on the car with a stock tune?
  • Stock turbo died?
  • Banjo bolt filters present for how many miles?
  • How often are your oil change intervals and what oil (syn or dyno)?
  • How many miles have been at upgraded power?

Basically I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between engine failures and stock tunes, mods, or oil change intervals.

I just ticked to 120k miles on my LGT, and 165k miles on my FXT. Both have the same faults, lean tunes and banjo filters, so far both have been pretty good (LGT does consume/leak some oil). Seeing your posts makes me scared, but at the same time I do see 150k+ mile LGT's/FXT's on clist often.

At 150k plus people are tired of dumping money into a car thats a decade old and not increasing in value thats fot sure. Plus getting tired of driving a manual transmission if thats what is in it. To answer your other questions, im not sure if my car had a tune on it before I bought it. But I got my etune done at 55k miles, I now have 99k on it. Its been stage 2 since I got it with 53k miles, the banjo bolts are still in as far as I know. Plan on taking them out when I do the timing belt in 2 weeks. Ive been using Motul 8100 and blue subaru filters since day one, and no issues with burning or anything yet. Hope this info helps!

Mike

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I seriously disagree with saying that it attracts cops. I'm catless (loud) and cops have just glanced at me, just like every other car.

Perhaps its just because of where I live :confused:. I'm right on the world famous Woodward Ave in Royal Oak, MI. There are tons of car clubs out every weekend flooding parking lots up and down Woodward. I drove three miles and saw three cops pulling people over. Two out of the three were Subaru wagons... And that was just a slow night. late summer near the Woodward Dream Cruise is when things really pick up.

I live about 10 miles north of royal oak and cops have never batted an eye at my lgt. i have downshifted past them with no mufflers and they sill didnt bother me.

But yeah woodward is infested with cops and i avoid it for that reason.

Perhaps its just because of where I live :confused:. I'm right on the world famous Woodward Ave in Royal Oak, MI. There are tons of car clubs out every weekend flooding parking lots up and down Woodward. I drove three miles and saw three cops pulling people over. Two out of the three were Subaru wagons... And that was just a slow night. late summer near the Woodward Dream Cruise is when things really pick up.

YOHB?

I've never had ROPD even look at my MY05 GT Wagon, and those poor excuses for professionals are always looking for any reason to pull people over and slap them with ridiculous fines.

Well, as a Criminal Justice degree holder I understand the police side of things. And as a petrohead I understand the car side as well. They get a lot of complaints from nearby residents (old farts who don't care for us rambunctious kids) so they are forced to address even the minor issues. I got pulled over for cutting a yellow light close. He only let me go because he had been radio'd a more important matter.

It seems like there are a few of us LGT owners in the area. Perhaps a meetup is in order?

That's odd, no one bats and eye at my bright red LGT sedan either. I like it like that :cool:.

Perhaps they were actually speeding, I see Prius's pulled over all of the time... LGT is a quick car (fast car to most regular people), so it's enough to get most people in trouble.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Well, as a Criminal Justice degree holder I understand the police side of things. And as a petrohead I understand the car side as well. They get a lot of complaints from nearby residents (old farts who don't care for us rambunctious kids) so they are forced to address even the minor issues. I got pulled over for cutting a yellow light close. He only let me go because he had been radio'd a more important matter.

It seems like there are a few of us LGT owners in the area. Perhaps a meetup is in order?

I too have experience in the Criminal Justice system. I understand the law enforcement side, and that being said, I understand what law enforcement officers go through as well. It doesn't make it easy on ROPD that there are so many people to deal with, so stress levels are high. Unfortunately a good deal of Royal Oaks officers that I've encountered have been either disrespectful or very unprofessional, which definitely doesn't help the environment. This contrasts greatly to Birmingham PD, they've always been respectful. I am in no way trying to justify the vast amounts of people doing stupid things on Woodward, they are the very reason we have problems in the first place. :mad:

Regardless of the department or situation, i'm always respectful, and I've never had an issue personally, though I have had 2 friends get tickets just for stopping in Normandy Plaza and going into potbelly's to get dinner before they met up with our group at LA Fitness.

Sorry for the wall of text

I agree! A meet up is in order. I have seen a few cool GT's out there, the other weekend there was an ABP GT with white wheels, seemed like a really cool guy. They're not very common though, so when I see one I get all giddy. :lol:

Archived