LegacyGT.com

Is a Legacy GT an enthusiasts car?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my spec b. when I was 19, could I afford it? Ehh had a had a loan for it. Could I pay the loan? Yes and its paid off now and my credit score looks amazing now at 21.

Got it with 92 K on it....so your thinking nice, must of been low maintenance. Being i have to modify everything I own, when ever something broke/wore out/sounded funny I replaced it, or more often doubled even tripled the repair bill just to get more ponies under the hood and more g's in the corners.

But for everything I have done to the car over the last 35k. I probably only needed to spend 2-3 grand in repairs. So double or triple that haha.

Love my car. It is my 5th subaru. Just got my 6th as a spare dd at home for the when I fly back home.

As a young guy like your self. I recommend finding a poor maintained 2nd Gen legacy with 200k plus on it and a fresher motor around 100k with its head gaskets already replaced for 500 bucks

That's what I got as my first Subaru. Did I want it. . Not really. It looked cool besides the rust. . But i had no idea how to work on cars. Besides that I'm very very inclined, I had no idea I would love working on Subarus so much. And you will work on it, alot. Alot of simple stuff being the motor is fresher. So you will learn the basics of turning metal with metal. And the layout and terminology of the auto world.

Then, when you live in the salt belt, the car has 332, xxx miles on it and it's so rusted you hate and love your car at the same time untill it phisical can't drive or Be Fixed due to age. Buy a nicer Cleaner subaru based on what you can afford now. I went with a one year newer, much Cleaner 97 lgt wagon. And i torn the old motor out of the first Suby literally by hand and back pain and. Proceded to **** around with the engine and take it apart at will just to see how the **** it worked, correction, how a boxer works and is put together. By the time I was 18 I had already built my own motor with Forged pistons and all ready to swap into the 97 lgt wagon, untill i hit a tree and sold it all before I had to go to basic training.

Dont buy one Of these cars when 16. Especially a turbo Model Learn on a. Cheaper Older Subaru.

Btw. All you people freaking out, I do 8k oil changes since I have owned it also. Burn a half quart each change. And my oil analysis comes back below average everytime. Currently waiting for my next analysis. Also put Down 300 plus to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Too expensive for someone that age. I bought mine at 18 and had $200 a month insurance payments because of the performance factor. That was the lowest I could find. Add on top of that the loan payment and I was looking at over $500 a month to just own the car for the first year or so I had it. Changed a few things a now my payments are much lower. Cheap insurance will be hard thing for you to find unless your still on your parents policy. If you have a full time job and live at home with no expenses then you could probably do it but don't expect to be able to easily move out unless you're making decent money. I love my car but if i had to do it again I would have waited a few years to get it.
07 SWP LGT Limited - SPT CBE, Invidia UP, Invidia DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, AVO TMIC, DW65c pump, SPT Intake, ISC Coilover

I decided to dig into this a little more.. seeing if I could get everything in order.

I found a '06 LGT Limited with 106k miles on it for 7k, the dealership will offer me a warranty for 2 years or 24k miles for 2k. Which includes the turbocharger, I made sure to ask.

Parents have offered to pay insurance on it, with all the discounts the family gets (good student, safe driver, multi-car, Homeowner/Auto combo) it comes out to be about $90 a month for collusion/comprehensive or $30 more then the Vue (which does not have collusion).

I wouldn't have a loan on the car, and I would feel pretty safe with the 2 year warranty on it. The warranty gives me enough time to stash away 2k-3k dollars for repairs after the warranty period ends.

My only real expense that would change would be the gas, going from 87 octane to 93 octane. Which seems like it would be an extra $5 or so at the pump each time around. Considering I only drive 2k-3k miles a year and use a tank of gas a month, I may end up spending an extra $60 or so on gas a year.

I decided to dig into this a little more.. seeing if I could get everything in order.

I found a '06 LGT Limited with 106k miles on it for 7k, the dealership will offer me a warranty for 2 years or 24k miles for 2k. Which includes the turbocharger, I made sure to ask.

Parents have offered to pay insurance on it, with all the discounts the family gets (good student, safe driver, multi-car, Homeowner/Auto combo) it comes out to be about $90 a month for collusion/comprehensive or $30 more then the Vue (which does not have collusion).

I wouldn't have a loan on the car, and I would feel pretty safe with the 2 year warranty on it. The warranty gives me enough time to stash away 2k-3k dollars for repairs after the warranty period ends.

My only real expense that would change would be the gas, going from 87 octane to 93 octane. Which seems like it would be an extra $5 or so at the pump each time around. Considering I only drive 2k-3k miles a year and use a tank of gas a month, I may end up spending an extra $60 or so on gas a year.

Hint, these cars don't like to be driven for short trips then shut off. What kind of driving is your 2-3k a year ? Don't fill your gas tank and let the car sit.

My 09 Spec B gets about 7000 miles a year, I very rarely fill the tank or leave much gas in it. When I do drive it, it for at least 15miles one way mostly highway. It take it to diner on Saturday night's, sometimes it sits for weeks without moving in the winter time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hint, these cars don't like to be driven for short trips then shut off. What kind of driving is your 2-3k a year ? Don't fill your gas tank and let the car sit.

My 09 Spec B gets about 7000 miles a year, I very rarely fill the tank or leave much gas in it. When I do drive it, it for at least 15miles one way mostly highway. It take it to diner on Saturday night's, sometimes it sits for weeks without moving in the winter time.

This would be my daily driver and only car. So Monday-Friday, Aug-June 3 mile commute to school and 3 mile commute back home, then whatever weekend driving I do for fun. In the winter, I'd put snow tires on. You also live in Connecticut so you know how harsh the winters can get at times.

The car wouldn't sit and probably get started up everyday. If not everyday, every other day.

His point is short trips. 3 miles the car won't get warm and constant short trips like that the car really doesn't like.

BINGO,

From what I've noticed in the almost 11 years on this forum, these cars that are driven like that have more problems.

You need to get the engine fully warm by driving it for some distance.

Letting it idle in the driveway, is not the other way of letting it warm up.

The only times my cars idle if while I'm removing the snow or frost. All other times they get started and driven, yes even in VT when it's sub -20F.

My DD to work is 32 miles, when I first got the wagon, I lived closer, it was only 21 miles to work. Moved further from work Dec 2010.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Must be nice having your parents pay your insurance... But they won't do it forever (or at least I would hope not). If properly taken care of the car should last a while so you should be thinking of the future and how expensive it will be. CT is not a cheap state to own a performance car in when you're young. Especially when you have other expenses and don't work full time.

Everyone else here is right. These cars definitely do not like short trips. I used to live a 1/3 of a mile from my last job and I would take about a 10 mile loop home just so the car would warm up and run at full temp for a bit. It's not good to be doing short trips like that especially in the winter because the car definitely won't warm up enough by the time you get to where you're going.

Also, at 106k miles I don't think your turbo is your biggest concern. At that mileage you want to make sure that the water pump and timing belt service has been done. If it hasn't, you're looking at $800-$1200 right after you buy it. And that 2 year warranty will most likely be voided the instant you but any aftermarket parts on there. I don't know what your expenses are but if you can only put away 2k-3k in 2 years while not having to pay for insurance or a loan then my guess is that you may not make enough to own this car... While they are good cars they can be very expensive to pick and not always the most reliable crs in the world.. and at 106k miles on CT roads you can expect some rust in the near future unless the car was perfectly taken care of.. I take care of mine better than most and Im starting to get some rust on the doors at 103k. There is no avoiding it. The stuff they use on the roads here eats away at cars better than it melts ice.

07 SWP LGT Limited - SPT CBE, Invidia UP, Invidia DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, AVO TMIC, DW65c pump, SPT Intake, ISC Coilover

His point is short trips. 3 miles the car won't get warm and constant short trips like that the car really doesn't like.

My daily trip is actually 4 miles too, but since it's all stop lights and slow driving car hits 170*F about halfway through, even in the winter. But this plus constant hills, is why I get 20mpg city at best.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived