LegacyGT.com

BMB's '97 Outback Sport 2.2L

• Moderators

Been lazy about getting this fixed and haven't been driving the car at all. Finally grabbed the replacement PS gasket from the dealer today. Might get it put on this evening.

Car has been sitting for a bit so I'm wondering if it's going to start. I have suspected the battery may be on it's last legs, so if it's doesn't start I'll probably grab a new one to go into winter.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Well, started it up to move it to the garage and it shocked the hell out of me and fired right up :lol: Almost a month since I've started it so I guess the battery is OK.

Swapped in the new PS line gasket, hopefully that solves the leak. Assuming all is good I think a break bleed and oil change are next and then I'll drive it throughout the winter since the only tires I have for it right now are blizzaks!

• Moderators
Were all your rubber bits (e.g. tie rod bellows, CV boots, engine mount, valve cover breather hoses, vacuum hoses, etc) in good shape? Usually those are pretty neglected in old cars. I had a ton to replace in my 04.

Well, I replaced a tie rod bellow that was torn and a whole axle. Other axle / boots look ok.

Other than that, I'm not about to replace every little piece of rubber on a 20yo car just because. If something is causing an issue, more specifically a leak or a safety issue, I'll probably fix it. Other than that it's just a driver.

I drove it to work this morning, looks like the PS leak is no more. Had forgot about the "whine" I'm getting at speed. Could just be noisy winter tires, or a wheel bearing, or possible center differ bearings.

I need to bleed the brakes next, so I guess I'll check the wheel bearings with a stethoscope when I have it up on stands for that and go from there.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
You been daily driving the '97 still? Any regrets in the purchase? Any new repairs?

Nope, I think the last time I posted was the last time I drove it! I only have a set of winter tires for it at the moment, so just been waiting for it to get colder. It's finally chilly down here, so I have plans for a brake bleed this upcoming weekend. Will get it in for an alignment before or after that and should be good.

I did start it up just the other day, started right up on the first crank after sitting for 6 weeks or whatever and no noticeable leaks under the car, so that's a plus :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Got the car aligned yesterday. The rear wasn't bad but the front toe was off as suspected. Alignment was nothing fancy but seems good enough--a bit of toe still but within spec.

The shop came back the first time and was like "yeah everything is stuck on the front and we can't adjust the toe." Had to have a conversation on how one side was recently disassembled so I basically didn't believe them. The guy offered to put some heat on it if I wanted--um, yeah, isn't that why you're here?

I guess they used their tools / muscles the second time around and got it sorted.

Drove it to work today and it might be my primary for the next little bit here just to shake it out a bit.

SO. Now I'm starting to think more about the driveline noise. Seems like it's coming from the transmission. Starts around 30mph or so and it's a "whine" that increases more or less with road speed. If I let off the pedal it seems to go away for a moment. Other than that it's mostly consistent but will go away for short periods of time seemingly at random.

I'm guessing some sort of bearing in the trans, but not really sure at this point. I'll do a drain and fill here shortly when I bleed the brakes. Will probably change out the oil for a known fluid as well at that point.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, car sprung a bit of a coolant leak. I was thinking it might be the water pump sealing at the block, but just got under and snapped some pics and it looks more like it might be the thermostat housing not sealing correctly against the pump.

My radiator is seeping anyway and the new one showed up today. I was thinking I was going to need to undo all the timing stuff and reinstall the waterpump, but now I'm thinking just swap the radiator and reseal the thermostat housing to the pump.

Tried to get pics showing the housing-to-pump connection, the drip down the housing, and then the waterpump-to-block connection (which looks clean).

Thoughts?

B8552291-F17A-47FF-B843-2AC245F3FD33_zps3hopff3q.thumb.jpg.ffda0063875f5806db9c4f15ce6aa44f.jpg

E7242F34-BAAC-42DA-8FBA-DCFF2FEC6CA0_zpskpum6tn6.thumb.jpg.b4f1cac77df36a66858ea359e7d6a10b.jpg

BF6584A6-47E6-4EE9-93B5-07D795418C0F_zpsvfyhlab5.thumb.jpg.707e7e270f89ec21523fc86f43b555d7.jpg

So, car sprung a bit of a coolant leak. I was thinking it might be the water pump sealing at the block, but just got under and snapped some pics and it looks more like it might be the thermostat housing not sealing correctly against the pump.

My radiator is seeping anyway and the new one showed up today. I was thinking I was going to need to undo all the timing stuff and reinstall the waterpump, but now I'm thinking just swap the radiator and reseal the thermostat housing to the pump.

Tried to get pics showing the housing-to-pump connection, the drip down the housing, and then the waterpump-to-block connection (which looks clean).

Thoughts?

I also thought my issue (spoke in other thread) was just the thermostat housing and seal so I changed them. The leak still occurred. This is what led me to research and I found others have also had the gates waterpump weep and show signs of failure. Then my radiator failed at the seams so I replaced the whole shebang.

• Moderators
Well, I started the car and let it warm up and saw no leak. Cleaned up residue and shut it off and will see what shows (if anything) in the next 24 hrs. Right now my plan is to replace the radiator and reseal the thermostat housing (even tho it shouldn't really need sealing) and go from there. Next step is redoing waterpump / timing if needed.

• Moderators

I've mentioned it to my wife before, but in some ways buying this car is a bit like paying for an autotech course that I can complete at my own pace and in my own garage. I'm learning a lot for relatively cheap, and learning most of it before / along side of doing serious maintenance / work on my '05 OBXT.

Tonight's lesson--I still have much to learn.

I installed the new radiator, reinstalled thermostat / housing with new gasket--or so I thought. Bolted everything up, began to fill with coolant, and what was a tiny leak only when running was now gushing out of the thermostat housing. WTF? Proceed to remove, and one of the bolts strips. One, I overtightened them big time after looking up torque specs after the fact and two, I should have replaced the rusty bolt anyway. Dumbass.

It get's worse.

I start googling on why I'm having this leak. Oh, turns out I'm supposed to install the gasket AROUND the thermostat before bolting the housing / stat in place? Yup, didn't do that. It's a miracle it was leaking much worse in the first place.

Since I had to dremel the old bolt out I also need a new thermostat housing now. The plus side, is this most likely (hopefully?) confirms that the leak isn't coming from the waterpump.

Go forth and learn from my mistakes :)

I've mentioned it to my wife before, but in some ways buying this car is a bit like paying for an autotech course that I can complete at my own pace and in my own garage. I'm learning a lot for relatively cheap, and learning most of it before / along side of doing serious maintenance / work on my '05 OBXT.

Tonight's lesson--I still have much to learn.

I installed the new radiator, reinstalled thermostat / housing with new gasket--or so I thought. Bolted everything up, began to fill with coolant, and what was a tiny leak only when running was now gushing out of the thermostat housing. WTF? Proceed to remove, and one of the bolts strips. One, I overtightened them big time after looking up torque specs after the fact and two, I should have replaced the rusty bolt anyway. Dumbass.

It get's worse.

I start googling on why I'm having this leak. Oh, turns out I'm supposed to install the gasket AROUND the thermostat before bolting the housing / stat in place? Yup, didn't do that. It's a miracle it was leaking much worse in the first place.

Since I had to dremel the old bolt out I also need a new thermostat housing now. The plus side, is this most likely (hopefully?) confirms that the leak isn't coming from the waterpump.

Go forth and learn from my mistakes :)

Sorry to hear that. At least you know the water pump probably didn't fail! The housing isn't too expensive. They are under $20 from a local auto store or a bit cheaper online. I actually have a spare plastic one I'll sell cheap (you pay shipping and it's yours) if you want. It's from an 05 outback sport. Not sure if they are exactly the same though.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Car has been having a bit of an issue lately. It stalled out in my neighborhood last Friday--RPMs went up and down a couple times and the car lugged/surged/whatever'ed and then it died.

Wouldn't start again right away but did later that night and drove it into the driveway no problem.

Took it to work on Tuesday and it had no issue, but on the way home it seemed like it wanted to die again. Giving it more gas seemed to prevent it from dying, but when I got into my neighborhood I just let it go to see what would happen and it stalled out. Eventually restarted it and got it home.

Any ideas what might cause this? I have one idea, but I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of these platforms might be able to key in on something

:iam:

Car has been having a bit of an issue lately. It stalled out in my neighborhood last Friday--RPMs went up and down a couple times and the car lugged/surged/whatever'ed and then it died.

Wouldn't start again right away but did later that night and drove it into the driveway no problem.

Took it to work on Tuesday and it had no issue, but on the way home it seemed like it wanted to die again. Giving it more gas seemed to prevent it from dying, but when I got into my neighborhood I just let it go to see what would happen and it stalled out. Eventually restarted it and got it home.

Any ideas what might cause this? I have one idea, but I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of these platforms might be able to key in on something

:iam:

The surging could be a dirty or faulty IACV.

• Moderators

Maybe. Further info. I started it tonight and just let it idle. Once it got good and warmed up it started to tend to stall on it's own. A very quiet event, the motor will just stop running. Weird.

A buddy and i cleaned the throttle body for grins. I pulled passenger side plugs and the generally look cruddy so I'll replace those and I think the engine bay fuel filter as it looks aftermarket and could be cruddy.

I'm going to do a fuel pressure check also.

• Moderators
do you remember what seal puller you used? for cam seals?

I had bought a lisle adjustable, but somehow I actually think it got thrown away before I ever used it. Ended up using whatever advance had in stock. Just a plain seal puller.

Archived