LegacyGT.com

VF52 swap in my 2005 LGT with 105k, Questions...

If you like the ride height - Koni inserts for your struts would probably be a better option than STI pinks.

STI pinks will destroy the OEM struts pretty quickly.

Have you looked into the bulletproof kit for your TMIC? The OEM TMIC does better in heatsoak type situations (i.e. stop and go traffic) than after market TMICs. Most of the after market options just have stronger endtanks to deal with increased boost. They don't actually perform better.

The ProcessWest and Grimmspeed might perform better (big might though) but only in specific situations.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you like the ride height - Koni inserts for your struts would probably be a better option than STI pinks.

STI pinks will destroy the OEM struts pretty quickly.

Have you looked into the bulletproof kit for your TMIC? The OEM TMIC does better in heatsoak type situations (i.e. stop and go traffic) than after market TMICs. Most of the after market options just have stronger endtanks to deal with increased boost. They don't actually perform better.

The ProcessWest and Grimmspeed might perform better (big might though) but only in specific situations.

I looked into the Bulletproof Kit awhile ago before even upgrading the car. Time to do some research again.

• 2 months later...

Car now has 112k on it so about 7k-8k since the swap. Car is running great! The VF52 really feels just perfect in this car. Huge thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! There is no way I could have done all the work by myself without your guys input and help. Mike from Tuning Alliance really got this car performing perfect off the start, I highly recommend using him for any related needs.

Unfortunately because of health complications with my knees and I will most likely be selling this car soon and getting an Automatic SUV. There are a couple family members interested in my car that I need to offer it to first, but if nothing comes of it I will post the car for sale on the forum.

Thanks for the update. Sorry about your health issues.

It's amazing what Mike can do for these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...

Update,

Car is still driving great!

121,000+ Miles!!!!!!!

Health issues have somewhat gone away so for now I am keeping the car,

Recently did a 1200+ mile trip from NJ to Florida, averaging 28+ MPG, car drove like it was brand new.

I love these cars and I love this forum,

Again, thank you to everyone.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
But don't know if I'd have the time or patience to get it working well.

Its a great upgrade to these cars. contact www.tuningalliance.com for the turbo and tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Car is still driving great @ 145k+ Miles (40k+ Miles Since the VF52 Swap)............BUT today the clutch began to slip. Any recommendations?? I do not like the OEM clutch in the 05 LGT's so I am looking for an upgrade. Really enjoy the feel of the clutch in the Newer WRX's (2012-present).

Car never sees the Track and is driven 65 miles a day M-F.

Car is still driving great @ 145k+ Miles (40k+ Miles Since the VF52 Swap)............BUT today the clutch began to slip. Any recommendations?? I do not like the OEM clutch in the 05 LGT's so I am looking for an upgrade. Really enjoy the feel of the clutch in the Newer WRX's (2012-present).

Car never sees the Track and is driven 65 miles a day M-F.

Contact Brian from TA in the link a couple of post above. He can get you a SMFW and the clutch to go with it.

Most people are going with Spec2/2+ (like Max Capacity) or Southbend Stg 2 Daily. I have the Southbend, and I can't complain 9000 miles in. I haven't driven a newer WRX so I can't compare, but I'm in no way frustrated by the southbend.

Not sure about your flywheel situation, I went with a stock WRX single mass flywheel pn 12342AA090. Also use the hex head bolts pn 800610740.

Most people are going with Spec2/2+ (like Max Capacity) or Southbend Stg 2 Daily. I have the Southbend, and I can't complain 9000 miles in. I haven't driven a newer WRX so I can't compare, but I'm in no way frustrated by the southbend.

Not sure about your flywheel situation, I went with a stock WRX single mass flywheel pn 12342AA090. Also use the hex head bolts pn 800610740.

Thanks!! How many hex bolts?

Archived