LegacyGT.com

Antifreeze smell

:lol: Miss Subie, I will answer to that... But check out my profile picture. I am the white guy ;)

The white guy? So how do you reach the pedals of your Legacy? And who is the guy in the blue shirt holding you? :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I've ever had the coolant smell with my car at all... even in the warmer summer months. Kind of worries me that Shortline wasn't able to find any issues with it for you at all. I'm curious to hear what you hear from SOA about this one.

I consistently smell radiator fluid when I drive long distances and my level was below low at 14k miles. I've never had a problem with radiator fluid before, but on this car it happened.

After inspecting it further just this past week, I noticed where the smell is coming from and I believe it's a poor design, which is likely causing the fluid levels to drop. If you look to the right of the engine compartment, very close to (or on top of) the radiator fluid reservoir, you'll see a black hose that pumps radiator fluid back into the system. (I apologize as I'm not in front of my car at the moment and am going on memory. I'll try to take a picture later this week). This black hose is not sealed around the opening - it's going into a plastic opening that is about the same size as the hose and this is where the smell originates from (at least from my car). I also believe it's where it's evaporating.

This black hose is not sealed around the opening - it's going into a plastic opening that is about the same size as the hose and this is where the smell originates from .... I also believe it's where it's evaporating.

By design, the coolant reservoir is not sealed. It's already vented to the atmosphere via the overflow passage molded into it. The clearance space around the black hose is not significant.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It's normal to have some evaporation, but to always smell coolant, and have an empty overflow tank that often is not normal in my opinion. I don't think what you're experiencing is normal evaporation. Unless your 6th gen's run noticeably hotter than my 4th gen does at around 190f-200f, which causes the water in your coolant to evaporate quicker. :confused:

I was searching as I have the same issue with my 2015 imprezza I just purchased. My smell is coming from the passenger side towards the firewall. Going to do a thorough search for a leak tomorrow. The collateral level is at low right now, so will have to pick up some blue sub coolant and top it off and monitor. Will let you know if I find anything, but from what I have found so far people seem to have this issue with both the 2.0 and 2.5. I read one forum where subaru put in stop leak to fix it (which I found to be crazy) I would not approve of that for my car.

I took off the skid plate, and checked everything I could see from the top and the bottom. Nothing really stood out as being wrong. the smell can be smelled from the top passenger side towards firewall, but did not see any evidence of leaks on the hoses of drips on the bottom. I also had the engine running while checking it out and could not smell it from the bottom. If it is leaking at one of the hoses, it does not appear to be leaving any residue. I did see slight gap where it connects to the intake area? I think I will let a dealer look at it while its under warranty and see what they say about it. Hope they can pinpoint it as the smell just is a constant reminder that something isn't right.

http://i.imgur.com/A19q3kC.jpg

I have had the same issue on my 2013 2.5 and I have about 67,000 miles on the car. I consumed some coolant in the first 20,000 miles and had the dealer refill both times. It was just below the low mark cold, so they brought it up to the middle, cold. Both times. Pressure check done under warranty both times - no issues found.

I do not believe that I have been consuming coolant, however I do get this smell once and a while.

The smell is most noticeable after a long highway trip(100+ miles) and then when I pull into a parking lot and idle for a couple minutes.

Strangely enough, the location I found with my nose, was actually near the rear of the power steering pump, and the top of the engine. But I never was able to see any issues. Just smell the hot coolant smell.

It's not very often that I smell it anymore. Maybe once a month. So I am just dealing with it for now. I would LOVE to know what the cause is. Hopefully someone will finally be able to locate it! :)

^ Not yet. I should be getting a call from SOA today with the "next steps". I'm assuming it's to have an Area Rep come and look at it. I'll play nice and by the rules, but it's sure becoming a little inconvenient.

Earlier this morning, SOA called. My CW was of no help, asking me to take it to another dealership for a second opinion. And that there's nothing that can be done if there's nothing to fix...annoying, but expected.

My SA called me later this morning and she feels terrible. She spoke to the Service Manager and they want me to bring my car back tomorrow morning. My SA and others will drive it every day for a week if they have to. She said that they want to make it right for me. If they can smell it, but can't figure it out, then they will work some magic and get me into another car possibly - with or without SOA's help. I don't care either way, I just want a normal car.

Well I'm not surprised to see how this thread has grown. My car is just a little over 11,560 miles and the coolant level in the reservoir is like 2 fingers below the low mark. I called another Subaru service center and the parts guy seemed concerned and said that I need to bring it in as its something that may be covered under warranty. I also noticed some shaking when applying the brake so I'm off to the dealer Monday morning with a list of issues but mainly the antifreeze. Mind you I have the car since November 8 2014. I have had cars with higher milage that I would put crazy milage and never had to top off the antifreeze on them.

Subaru topped mine off twice, once had barely anything in the reservoir. After the second time, I haven't lost a drop in 5k miles. Pressure tested the system back then and all was good

I explained my situation to my best friend. He said this about his 2012 wrx. He says his reservoir is always like 3 fingers below the low line. The guy I spoke with at the dealer said the level in the reservoir should be between the full and low lines. Nothing more nothing less. I will let you know once I take it to the dealer.

I'm back!

I unfortunately knew we were not going to be the only ones out there with a coolant issue. In time I knew that new people would start piping up with the same concern. It's honestly a little disheartening.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Archived