LegacyGT.com

Antifreeze smell

:lol: Yes on the smell, it most certainly adds value. It has 7900miles. I might lease a 2016 XT or I might just drive mine and deal with it. If I choose to dump it, I'll sell my WRX wheels, and make about 1k back. Lots to think about...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7900 miles on a 2015??? And half of that has been driving to and from the dealership!

(For comparison, last weekend, I hit my 6 month anniversary with mine, and also hit the 10,000 mile milestone!)

BTW, according to my calculations, you have posted here once every 4.7 miles. :):)

I sent Shortline's "best and final" numbers to Autonation Subaru and they said they'd match it, no problem. I'll send it to Heuberger next and then I'll make my final decision. Oh...and when I went to take my WRX wheels off, I saw what's in my next post. I need to leave the Shortline family for good.

You're a more patient man then me, SubieN8. I can't even tell you how I'd react if I were in your position. To attempt to keep your spirits up, I've created something special, just for you. 😜

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160502/be2448bab3ffe4894379da3a381a2a70.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/f9997bceb91d1f4c50aeb0159298d1df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not my ride and I felt the sharp pain in my heart. Sorry brother!

It's an incredibly disappointing situation. It goes in tomorrow for the seat and they'll look at the bumper and figure something out.

You can try pushing them to buy the car back from you, or reach out to SOA about this damage as well, plus everything else.

They *might* offer a higher trade-in value for it, or SOA would perhaps, it's happened before, to make up for all of these headaches and damages.

You can then try to then get another vehicle at below invoice or much better, plus the $1,500 check promised, plus any other incentives or bonuses on top with everything that has happened.

BTW, I still get the coolant smell since Day 1 with my Legacy. No visible leaks (out of of oil leaking on the top of the cam head gasket perhaps, dealer has a wait and see for the oil leak to return...) of coolant and the expansion tank does drop some over the course of a year (topped off twice since Dec 2014).

But, I'm wondering if the coolant smell is when the coolant reaches a certain high temp and starts vaping/gassing off the smell from the not-so-sealed expansion tank, from the higher temps. Just a thought, as the expansion tank cap is no better than the windshield fluid cap, both are able to vent to the outside of the reservoir tanks.

^ Current offer is $19,000 Trade. Forester XT Premium is $27,304, that's the deal from Shortline. SOA would send me a $1,500 check once I fax them the Bill of Sale on the new vehicle. I don't think it's all that good of a deal, so I am waiting to see how well my seat and bumper look, then I'll make my decision - either drive it until next Spring and use the $1,500 rebate (good until next April) or go to another dealer and manufacturer.

You're a more patient man then me, SubieN8. I can't even tell you how I'd react if I were in your position. To attempt to keep your spirits up, I've created something special, just for you. 😜

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160502/be2448bab3ffe4894379da3a381a2a70.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I was not a Rambo but it did bring back a flashback and a song.

Most of us still struggle with the memories which we still embrace at VA Hospital.

I am sorry RobbieGT, I didn't mean to rain on your fun just I been going through one of those times lately.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

^ Current offer is $19,000 Trade. Forester XT Premium is $27,304, that's the deal from Shortline. SOA would send me a $1,500 check once I fax them the Bill of Sale on the new vehicle. I don't think it's all that good of a deal, so I am waiting to see how well my seat and bumper look, then I'll make my decision - either drive it until next Spring and use the $1,500 rebate (good until next April) or go to another dealer and manufacturer.

I can't remember if you obtained your Subaru GTP value as well? To see if it's higher than what the dealer is offering you?

^ I haven't been able to as of yet. My one year mark is technically May 8th. I'm at 8018 miles, so I'll be curious as to what the GTP will be. Although, I'd need to return my exhaust to stock, paint the calipers back to silver and remove the window tint in order to qualify. I am not sure I want to go through that for a couple extra bucks. But if the GTP is $20,000 or more, then I'll do the mods to bring it back to stock.

I sent an email to my SOA person, as I'm curious if it will even qualify for the GTP due to all that's happened with it and the fact that SOA is throwing money my way for trade assistance.

I was not a Rambo but it did bring back a flashback and a song.

Most of us still struggle with the memories which we still embrace at VA Hospital.

I am sorry RobbieGT, I didn't mean to rain on your fun just I been going through one of those times lately.

More than understood, my friend! The VA Hospital is a constant fight in of itself...

I have also been told that the coolant smell is from the expansion tank. One of the techs at the "good" dealership that I like, told me this. I believe he was being honest with me and not trying to BS me.

I have been driving for over 20 years, and driven plenty of cars. Including many rentals, as I travel for work. Never smelled coolant in any other car. (except when I either spilled coolant doing a flush, etc. But I learned to fully wash everything down with water when done, as I HATED that smell)

I don't think there is anything unique about Subaru's cooling system and expansion tank.

The only variable that I can figure is the coolant itself. The chemical composition of it may give it different characteristics than traditional "green" glycol. It's the only thing I can think of. As long as the smell remains very infrequent and it's not toxic to breathe, then I can live with it for now.

The only variable that I can figure is the coolant itself. The chemical composition of it may give it different characteristics than traditional "green" glycol.

The only differences between traditional (i.e. green) coolant and Subaru Super Coolant are the anti-corrosion additive package and the dye color. Both are 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Another thing to consider would be how the air under the hood might flow into the cabin.

In other words, if we assume that some coolant is evaporating from the expansion tank (in all cars), is there some reason that in certain cars that a lot of that coolant vapor finds its way into the cabin?

Moonshine

Moonshine?????

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived