LegacyGT.com

Antifreeze smell

Seat and cubby door are done. They are replacing my bumper, so it'll be a few days. I must say, I am impressed that there wasn't any hesitation on their part when I brought the scratch to their attention. They just said they'd take care of it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traded the POS today for an XT. I went to pop my trunk and the Legacy's battery was dead. It was my cars last "F*** You" to me. Good riddance!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160508/22a56b2585ac6e4c6e529a91ce5dd22f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160508/660e8fb0862e378d283ed43a70e77d6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous! I love the xt's. SubieN8, drive this a little harder. You have to get on these motors a bit so they last awhile. Babying them doesn't let the rings and stuff sit well enough and can lead to issues. Run her through her paces a little bit [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wanted a white one, but fell in love with the red one I test drove. We took it on our Saturday errands for a few hours. I drove a 3.6r first and it was faster than I thought it'd be, but ultimately it was the ground clearance and the "rugged" feeling that lead me to the XT.

I'll do that Robbie for sure!

Congratulations! And to think that it all started with antifreeze smell just like mine. This morning I drove the wife's 2015 Rav4 with 5200 miles and wouldn't you know it, antifreeze smell. Go figure

• 1 month later...
I noticed that the reservoir is almost empty and not even 2000 miles since Subaru changed the oil and antifreeze. I have to take it for the recall and will bring this up and see what excuse they have this time.

If your coolant level is not noticeably dropping, then it is the smell. The reservoir is right behind the fans on the rad... if your car is losing coolant, there IS a leak and a competent tech will find it. I have given several ways to find it earlier in this thread. If you have your own pressure tester, you can do that both when the engine is HOT and COLD.

Subie8,

I feel for you, I really do. Nothing says suck more than dropping some serious coin on a car and then basically having the dealer screw it up and NOT owning up to it...

I am going to tell you about the dealer I do business with... White Bear Acura/Subaru. They are competent mechanics and they do own up to their mistakes. They once cracked my front bumper on my 2002 CL type S. They replaced it and put me in a loaner for a few days... They even picked up the cost of the oil change and gas used in the loaner...

When it came time to replace my windshield in my 2003 Legacy (covered under insurance) they facilitated it, and, just yesterday, they facilitated it with my 2014 Legacy that I bought from them in May.

• 2 weeks later...
So I went back on Wed 7-6-2016 for the EPB reprogramming and mentioned the empty reservoir. They said that the tech diagnosed it as an "air pocket". Not even 1000 miles since the oil change and full coolant flush on a car with less than 12k miles. I will monitor it and update everyone.

So I went back on Wed 7-6-2016 for the EPB reprogramming and mentioned the empty reservoir. They said that the tech diagnosed it as an "air pocket". Not even 1000 miles since the oil change and full coolant flush on a car with less than 12k miles. I will monitor it and update everyone.

Perhaps you've posted this information elsewhere, but I don't understand why you previously had your coolant flushed on such a new car.

The coolant does not need replacing for ELEVEN YEARS (or 137,500 miles). Certainly not at every oil change!

Unless, of course, you had some other problem that affected your coolant. If so, it sounds like your car STILL has some problem.

Or else your dealer has been ripping you off from the get-go. (I'm placing my wager on this one.)

My information is all in this post which I initiated. With that said, I have been notifying the dealer on every visit. I performed the second oil change in late March. Took the car in April and stressed the missing coolant. The tech claimed that the car was missing a quart of oil and thus the car looks for something to burn in place of the oil so it burns the coolant. I know that's bull. Glycol has a very high boiling point and my car never ran over 205 Fahrenheit as I do monitor the temperature religiously. So the tech went on to say that the oil plug was not tightened to spec and there was oil all over which was false because I checked the car before taking it in and it was dry. So they said in order to continue to be under warranty they needed to do the oil change and flush the cooling system and refill it with new coolant and they'll monitor it. So l get the EPB recall letter that same day and less than 1000 miles after the oil change the reservoir is empty again and they claimed an air pocket. Glad is documented so I can bring it up again. So there you have it again!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

" The tech claimed that the car was missing a quart of oil and thus the car looks for something to burn in place of the oil so it burns the coolant"

If a dealer (or anyone) would have said this to me, I would have taken the free oil change and flush and then RUN and never looked back. It would have been hard for me to either not laugh at the person, and/or rip them apart.

You should seriously consider filing a complaint with the BBB. And definitely change to a different dealership for future work on your car. Or use a private mechanic for everything except warranty work and recalls.

If you PAID for that coolant flush, because they told you it needed it, on a 2015 car with 12,000 miles and no other issues other than being 1 quart low, you need to call SOA and share all of this with them. You can also rate that dealer here:

http://www.dealerrater.com/

I had issues with my closes dealer when I first got my car. I stopped using them and now drive to another dealer who I like much better. My FAVORITE dealer is in Norwalk, CT but this is too far for regular service work.

"If you don't take care of your customers, someone else will" This is hanging above the Service Counter at Garavel Subaru in Norwalk, CT. And they earn by business every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived