LegacyGT.com

WRX= the demise of the LGT?

With the release of the new WRX and it's new 2.5, does anyone else feel like this may cut into the sales and ultimatley spell the end of the Legacy? I mean, both cars are 4 door sedans and now the WRX has the same motor (detuned) and a more recognizable name. With a lower list price, the WRX is a very appealling and cheaper alternative. Our only real selling points were higher class image and bigger (i.e. more power) motor. With 1 of our 2 advantages gone and car build quality and material being improved, the LGT may be the odd man out. Any opinions?

Kyle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still buy the LGT.

That being said, I was looking at either a STI or an LGT. Maybe it's a factor of me getting older, but I picked the LGT. It's bigger and more luxurious (sp) than the WRX. That was the appeal for me, the fact that it's a fast sleeper, was just BONUS! :D

LGT's and WRX's from pre 05 shared the same engine didn't they?

I was frankly a little baffled when I heard that they went to 2.2's..

Maybe Scooby Nippon got their wires uncrossed.

As for the topic.. I don't think putting 2.5's back in the Rex's will spell any demise for LGT's simply because some people want the performance of a REX with the size of an LGT.. Like... me for instance.. that was the main reason I didn't get an Impreza.. it was too small for my family needs.

SPACE, and image.

The WRX is tiny. I have a tiny car already. I want my next car to be something that my wife and I can actually take another passenger or two with us. I wouldn't cram two more adults into a WRX. I could see 4 college students on a road trip, but not four regular people. That becomes punishment.

Looks. Inside and out the Legacy looks much nicer than the WRX. It is more stylish, and more dignified. Someplace to spend some time behind the wheel, rather than having to get out and stretch at every opportunity.

And it has more power than the WRX. WRX aftermarket will spur the growth in Legacy GT aftermarket, and the LGT will hopefully be able to maintain it's lead.

Basically it boils down to "IwannaSportSedan", not "IwannaSportCompact."

I have to say I would have been tempted by a 2.5 liter WRX with leather. In the end I'm glad I have a Legacy though.

If they want to keep the LGT competitive they really need to roll it out with 300hp standard. I mean if a Toyota Avalon can have nearly that much hp, we can too. It wouldn't cost Subaru anything to send these out the door with the same drivetrain as the Sti, including a 6spd. Six gears aren't a novelty anymore; they've been common for 15+ years now.

The WRX if you notice is mostly billed as the sports car of the Subaru family. The car is mostly only avaliable with a manual transmission, where as the new Legacy is automatic. The Legacy is also the sedan and has more space and is more Luxurious (I'd take a LGT B-spec over a Mercedes, but not a BMW, I'm Germish and BMW's always tickle my fancy) and will therefore always supply a market, I mean how many 40+ year olds drive a WRX? The Legacy is more than here to stay.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The LGT is still rated for more HP, dunno what the truth is but it's a bigger more comfortable car with more niceties. That will always appeal to a different class of people than the WRX.

If you don't see that yet, then perhaps you're still a little young.

I had a WRX.

I haven't driven the new 2.5 liter WRX but it wasn't even something I was interested in.

The ride difference between my WRX and the LGT aren't even close, not to mention the quality of interior and road noise.

When I went to the dealer I was planning on buying an XT, but after the test drive the SUV feel was too much for me to handle after the WRX.

After doing more research I found that the Legacy actually has more interior passenger space than the XT.

I feel that the WRX and LGT are two different markets that may cover a little gray area on eachothers market, but a WRX is no midsize family sedan/wagon nor is the LGT a compact sport sedan/wagon

I don't see how the Legacy is in trouble. The WRX and the LGT are two way differents cars. The Legacy is a much smoother and quieter ride VS the WRX which is made to feel every bump in the road. Plus, the Legacy is a much bigger car, not a compact sports sedan like the WRX. The Legacy is not in any kind of trouble.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Guest *Jedimaster*
This will definitely be the end of the Legacy. Tide should shut the site down immediately to prevent incurring any more expense for a car that is ultimately doomed. We should also all sell our cars and get WRX's.

:lol:

I have to say....had the '03 WRX wagon we had been outfitted with a 2.5L, leather and a sunroof, I STILL would have gotten the LGT wagon. The 16 inches in length are almost all in passenger room. It makes a difference when you are 6'1".

The '06 WRX does look strong...I think it's more about keeping one steep ahead of the SRT-4, Cobalt SS and anything else coming down the pike.

IBSRT-4ist3hf4st4r

I wasn't implying that the WRX is just as good as the LGT, just that there are more similarities than before. I wholeheartedly agree that these cars are in a different class as far as size and luxory level but the third area was the power department. It has know been skewed and I was wondering if in the future the other 2 categories would someday be compromised as well. I am a 33 y.o. professional and father of 2 so i am definatley not some young punk who had daddy buy him a cool looking turboed 4. The whole reason I purchased my LGT was because I wanted a a more refined sport sedan that was unique.

Kyle

I get back into a STi.. and I think... "man this car is small!" Its considerably smaller than the WRX/STi. Now, believe it or not, I have never ridden in a WRX, but STi are super noisy to me now that I have the LGT. Funny how I didn't notice it before... maybe its because my other car was a S2000 back then...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I think the demographic of a LGT buyer is different from a WRX driver. For the most part, we are performance enthusiasts who are not willing to give up the other comforts that an LGT offers.

There's more separating the LGT and WRX than just the size of the engine.

I think the line between the WRX and STi is the one that's becoming finer.

Count me as one that would have had a much tougher choice to make! Tested the WRX wagon, and the on/off nature of the engine was a complete downer. If I was buying next year, I would have gone with WRX wagon since the LGT wagon no longer offers a manual. :( If both were available at the same time? Don't know!

-B

Drove '06 WRX before buying the LGT, no comparison.

The WRX is too small for my needs, and the overall feel of the LGT to me is that it isn't much heavier or larger. The Leg feels smaller than it is. It is also MUCH nicer inside, and I didn't even get a Limited!

Image is cleaner, more of a sleeper, and the extra size feels better to me.

I don't think the WRX will rob LGT sales, and I don't think it will hit STi sales either. All three cars still have a different character and there can still be a pretty good jump in price from one to the other.

Until the WRX has the luxury and refinement of the Legacy then I'd say that Subaru isn't going to delete it anytime soon. They would have to see a serious decline in sales before removing a car like this. Since the Legacy is attracting a totally different crowd than the WRX, I just don't see a reason for sales to decline. I'm not interested in an STi or a WRX. I don't like the way it looks or the way it drives. It is mindsets like that which will keep the Legacy on the line.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The WRX is too small for my needs, and the overall feel of the LGT to me is that it isn't much heavier or larger. The Leg feels smaller than it is.

It's weird to say but I think you're right. The Leg isn't small and doesn't feel cramped or uncomfortable but driving it is like driving a smaller car that's very easy to get around and maneuver or park in tight spots (not that I want to EEEK door dings).

I think the demographic of a LGT buyer is different from a WRX driver. For the most part, we are performance enthusiasts who are not willing to give up the other comforts that an LGT offers.

There's more separating the LGT and WRX than just the size of the engine.

I think the line between the WRX and STi is the one that's becoming finer.

+1,,,,,,,,,,, but,,, having owned a WRX and an STi,, apples /oranges thing,the stock WRX even with the added hp will never be an STi.

Rudy

Many manufacturers offer the same or similar engine options throughout their range of small, medium, and large cars. E.g. BMW 3, 5, and 7 series.

As point out by others, there are differences in size, luxury, sportiness, maturity (er, target demographic), etc.

Choice is good. Cross-compatible performance goodies is a good thing too.

Archived