LegacyGT.com

Mirrorlink

Guest rayms69

Auto Play? you realize that under the hood these are just a specialized version of iOS or Android (which is itself a linux fork).

They could still be absolute shit running on bad hardware, and generally car systems are known for being under powered.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very true, I would prefer Mirrorlink and the the power of the Phone will do the heavy lifting. Phone iteration and innovations are more powerful and lot of functionality were as HU are static. All we can hope for is Subaru/ Mirrorlink/ hacked ability to upgrade the ML and keep it current.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I am saying this from experience since my Note2 with 4.2 worked beautifully Waze on HU. But the unit shorted and I purchased the Note4 which happen to have ML 1.1 native in the phone and lost all ML functionality.:mad:

Auto Play? you realize that under the hood these are just a specialized version of iOS or Android (which is itself a linux fork).

I don't know that and sure hope not. IOS takes up gigabytes. I would think it is as AutoPlay notes, an API the renders the car unit a remote screen for phone. Much less overhead.

Subaru has to keep up with IOS upgrades just as current app makers have to keep up.

With Apple and Google in an Optimus Prime vs. Megatron battle for control of the car touch screen, I'm guessing they both will do a lot of heavy lift for any car mfg that wants to use their phone interface.

The Volt current offers both.

This isn't rocket science. The real reason for the car mfg's being so coy is they lose a huge profit generator in the head units as there is no reason for a head unit at all, simply a dock for an iPad Mini or Galaxy Note.

Contacted SOA about CarPlay/mirror link. Was told "We are considering this for our vehicles. We are also exploring Mirrorlink for our vehicles equipped with Starlink. As we are still exploring these features, we are unable to advise if they will be available for our current 2015 models.". For what it's worth.

• 2 months later...
It's not going to work on the s6 because it needs Mirrorlink 1.0 and s6 has 1.1. They MAY upgrade our cars to 1.1 but don't hold your breath.

I recently got this detail on MirrorLink 1.1 upgrade from Subaru:

"Our engineers are working on a Mirrorlink update, however it is not expected before the end of the year. It would be an update to the 1.1 version. Once more information is available we will post it on www.subaru.com."

It sounds promising?! We might be able to use MirrorLink on a more realistic set of phones... in the near future.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it'll be done right after the NAV Update ... and the USB fix ... and when the Icons appear for XM Radio!!!

Well, knowing the way Subaru works with technological support with NAV units, they'll update Mirrorlink the week after it's been discontinued.

They originally said they might have an update by this summer, now it's definitely won't be here till next year. I guess they don't want to just say they're not supporting it anymore or care for updates??? Better to string along, rather than just admit to it?

• 3 weeks later...
Second that...I'll have this car three years and I want CarPlay. I got rid of my Treo and got my first iPhone when my Escape Hybrid would not work with the Treo and iPhone would.

Phone/Car interface is a BIG DEAL. Apple and Google are investing billions in it for that reason.

There is NO REASON we cannot have CarPlay or Auto on our current 2015 Subaru's. An easy to do update from Subaru.

Probably the way to approach it is via Apple and Google, have them do a campaign to sign up Subaru owners asking for CarPlay or Auto. Like the cable channels do when Comcast won't carry them.

I asked Subaru, they said no.

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

We welcome your inquiry, as it relates to Android Carplay system that was released. We understand that there may be interest in this Android feature.

At this time, our company has agreed to look into possible future Android options. However, currently we are not aware of plans to incorporate this feature into our existing Subaru models. Information on future models is not available. As a result, we are unable to advise whether you will see this feature in a future Subaru vehicle.

We do appreciate your inquiry and will forward it along to our Product Planning Department. Such information is reviewed and sometimes used when designing future products.

Please keep an eye on our Website at http://www.subaru.com where we will post the most up to date information on all of our products when they become available.

Again, thank you for your contact.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Complete garbage, but I'm not going to take it back (Legacy limited 2015) and for darn sure I don't want a Hyundai just because they need the publicity. I have to figure out how to backup the OS in the console, and then use some Google-Fu to figure out the hooks.

I'll update if I have an update, I'm not a programmer by a long shot, but I'm about pissed off enough to learn.

For clarification Car play and Android Auto is not what this thread is about but MirrorLink 1.1 update which is more likely than not.

• 1 month later...
Bit of a bad news, I dialed Subaru and they straight away told me that there is no news on update release as of now and i instead them to check with some to know what's the exact date, after 45 mins of waiting they told that their engineers are still working on the update (;. then I asked the correct date of release, they told it could be between this summer ending or the end of September. I don't why they are delaying the process. My assumptions are they want to release 2016 models with the mirror link support once those models are out they will be more focusing on the 2016 not 15 anymore. That's just my assumption.

Archived